323 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
familychoice says

I did not know the comments on the product page are moderated and can be deleted. I thought everyone was free to post comment and author won’t be able to remove it. Anyway looking at comments will give you idea about the support. You could see the support quality and average reply time etc.

Not if complaints about support have been removed you won’t, and I noticed with one theme we had a refund for as it didn’t work, our comments were all removed after so new buyers would have been completely unaware of our issues.

From your previous posts, I think you are very much concerned about the future updates. You need to understand that no one will provide you support forever.

Then why advertise it? I couldn’t care less if an author decides they’re not going to provide any updates at all and are upfront about this, as I’ll then know exactly what I’m buying, and factor in time that will have to be spent updating the theme myself.

I haven’t got an issue with authors who don’t update their themes or provide support, because as long as they’re making this clear in their advertising then I can make an informed decision not to buy them.

The WordPress themes will not stop working between version 3.4 and 3.5, they will need to be updated only if there is very major change in the WordPress core.

Just out of interest, have you actually bought any products on here, in particular Wordpress themes? If you have then you’ll know that many are bundled with a range of plugins, some of them commercial, to provide extra functionality. Sometimes these can’t be updated by the customer via their admin panel and so they have to wait to see when, and if, authors will provide an update for them. If, as in a recent theme we purchased, you have to wait 3 months for the author to provide an update you can find yourself stuck with a bug-ridden, insecure plugin and if you want to update it yourself then you’ll have to buy another copy.

And updates aren’t just to fix compatibility issues with Wordpress core changes, most updates also address a long list of theme specific bugs reported by customers.

For example if I want to create a WordPress theme, I will see the current distribution and see if I am able to make the theme. I do not know if WordPress will release next software version with very huge changes in the core, and I do not know if I will be able to adopt the new changes in the core, so I wont make any promise for that.

That’s fair enough, I have no arguement with that at all, but if you splash ‘FREE LIFETIME UPDATES AND FULL SUPPORT’ all over your sales page in large, eye-catching graphics then I’ll expect you to provide it.

If you are worried about the bugs in the current theme, again, looking at the comments in the comment section will help you (most probably other users will be facing same problem, so they will be complaining).

Unless comments have been deleted, or as I said before unless the theme was previously well supported but is then abandoned for new projects once you’ve bought it.

A customer forum/feedback section would address this, as you’d be able to search for an author to see what customers really think about their service, as well as helping each other out with frequently reported issues.

The point that a lot of people seem to be missing, is that most theme authors on here are not just selling a one-off product, they’re promoting a service as well as part of the package to entice buyers. If they’re advertising a free, lifetime support and updating service as part of their product package then customers are justified in thinking this should be provided.

But without updates to the theme, functionality, and bundled plugins, and without access to full support to cover missing information in the documentation and reporting bugs, they’re an unattractive purchase as they’ll have a shelf life of just a few months – which is exactly why most authors go to such lengths to promote their support service.

148 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
loveetc says

I agree with you. Authors should not make false advertisement claims. I also have noticed such things, for example using trendy title and tags even if they have not been used in the theme (eg HTML5, retina etc.). There should be some kind of check on that.

5097 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Support Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
+8 more
KingDog Staff says

Great feedback so far :) So let me ask you some questions. Do you often look at the Support tab to see the level of support an author is offering? What would you do if the author didn’t have anything in there? Would you still buy the file? If you bought the file and had issue with it, what would you do? Would you be upset if the author didn’t offer support?

323 posts
  • Exclusive Author
familychoice says

Do you often look at the Support tab to see the level of support an author is offering?

I’m guessing that’s a recent addition as I only noticed it recently, and yes I check now but it’s pretty useless as the times I’ve checked either the information has contradicted what they’re stating on their main sales page, or in some cases they still ignore this and use the Envato clause to try and avoid supporting their product.

For example, last theme we purchased boasts (I’ve removed two words to avoid a ‘call out’) :

This on their sales page:

“Superior Customer Support – Free Aftersales Support I want customers to be fully satisfied with my themes. I will answer all your questions and try to improve the theme according to your suggestions.”

And this on their ‘support’ page:

“Hands-on support for this item is provided by … Need Support for this Theme? Head on over to the Official … Help Desk and experience 1st class customer support”

I think you’d agree that any customer reading this would think the author is providing full support for their product, and happy to respond to customer requests for improvement as well as updates. It certainly sold it to me.

Yet on their private forum, when customers were complaining as certain elements were no longer working and the theme hadn’t been updated to fix these issues they were told this:

“support is not, has never been and will never be obligated due to themeforest policy. You agreed to said policy upon registration”, “you bought a product, as-is, with no guarantee of support”.

I beg to differ, support was (and still is) very heavily promoted as an integral part of the package, yet they’re using the Envato clause as an excuse for bad support.

If I’ve breached forum rules by ‘calling out’ please just blank some of the above out, but I haven’t referred to the author by name or product, you can’t search for this content, and half of it is on a closed forum anyway so hopefully this will serve as an example of the sort of things customers have to put up with thanks to the conflicting support terms.

Your clause is being used as a get-out by some authors.

If support can be withdrawn as per your T&C’s then all authors should remove any mention of support from their sales pages as this can’t be guaranteed. Or you remove the ‘optional’ get-out from your T&C’s.

What would you do if the author didn’t have anything in there? Would you still buy the file?

If they didn’t have anything in there, and nothing on their sales page then no, I wouldn’t. Themes and plugins require updates or they’ll stop working or become insecure, and as we can’t check to see how well a theme has been coded, there’s no way of knowing how difficult this will be to do ourselves.

If you bought the file and had issue with it, what would you do? Would you be upset if the author didn’t offer support?

If the file didn’t work as stated or match the demo, and the author didn’t provide support that was advertised, then I would be stuck with a product that didn’t work as advertised or come with the additional support service listed. Obviously in that instance I’d expect a refund. Wouldn’t anyone? Aren’t you ‘upset’ when you pay for something and it doesn’t work?

148 posts
loveetc says

With a quick search, I was able to find out the theme you are talking about. From the comments section in that theme I could see that the author is replying to all of the comments regularly, and he replied to you also about Twitter API update.

44 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
daihlo says

With a quick search, I was able to find out the theme you are talking about. From the comments section in that theme I could see that the author is replying to all of the comments regularly, and he replied to you also about Twitter API update.

not sure if you’re replying to me or someone else. If its, me, then the theme I am talking about—yes, eventually the author does respond to the comments section. 99% of replies however simply say – send a support ticket -

the support ticket forum is of course advertised as a fully supported way to get support on their sales page.

If you then look back over 9 months of comments, people are all saying – cannot send a ticket, the support forum will not accept anything!

The author then usually replies with the same reply to say – it does work! We deal with over 100 tickets every day on our support forum!!!

I know this is rubbish. 100 tickets a day… hmmmm I have tried over and over again to use their support forum, it will not allow anyone to submit anything, there is no link to register, just 1 – submit a ticket, 2 – submit as a guest.

1 – will not accept any info you put in, it just returns errors. 2 – will redirect you to being asked for an existing support ticket number.

Seems a convenient way to block people from actually submitting any tickets! catch 22 – people then post issues in comments, and get asked to submit a ticket – making it look like full support is being provided… sales keep rolling in.

There are endless comments about bugs, the author does reply on the comments but not with any solution. Just always says either submit ticket, or says its being fixed. There is a standard ‘its being fixed’ massage right at the top of sales pitch saying new release in next 2-3 days… this has always been there and is part of their default sales pitch to make it look updated. It’s not been updated, and the bugs are the same since 9 months back on the comments pages..

HOWEVER… I am not using this forum to call out anyone. I am asking that TF provide buyers a place TO HELP EACH OTHER in cases where authors do not offer help as they are not obliged to!

PLEASE keep this the focus!

148 posts
loveetc says

@daihlo: No, I replied to familychoice post above.

323 posts
  • Exclusive Author
familychoice says

I repeat my earlier question: have you actually purchased anything on here or have any relevant experience to add to the discussion?

To respond to your statement, what you don’t see are the long list of requests for updates in the private forum, or the replies stating “you bought a product, as-is, with no guarantee of support” or the offers to provide the update via a paid service instead. My post in the comments section was placed there purely because we were getting no help in the private forum, but with respect to the author I don’t want to discuss specific issues we’ve had, and you’re missing the point as ever, which is:

If an author is promoting free support and lifetime updates on their sales page then this should be provided. The conflicting ‘optional’ clause in the Themeforest T&C’s allows authors to withdraw this at any time or not even provide this at all which is confusing, and misleading for customers.

Would you like to comment on that or the OP’s original request for a customer area?

148 posts
loveetc says

I repeat my earlier question: have you actually purchased anything on here or have any relevant experience to add to the discussion?

To respond to your statement, what you don’t see are the long list of requests for updates in the private forum, or the replies stating “you bought a product, as-is, with no guarantee of support” or the offers to provide the update via a paid service instead. My post in the comments section was placed there purely because we were getting no help in the private forum, but with respect to the author I don’t want to discuss specific issues we’ve had, and you’re missing the point as ever, which is:

If an author is promoting free support and lifetime updates on their sales page then this should be provided. The conflicting ‘optional’ clause in the Themeforest T&C’s allows authors to withdraw this at any time or not even provide this at all which is confusing, and misleading for customers.

Would you like to comment on that or the OP’s original request for a customer area?

I didn’t mean to offend you in anyway. No, I haven’t purchased any theme, but I’m a WordPress developer so I gave my opinion about the ‘lifetime updates’ statement.

44 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
daihlo says

Problem here though is the whole support issue is open to so much confusion. My case – the author advertises a fully supported theme with a ticket system forum.

the forum will not allow anyone to register, and will not accept tickets. the author answers every comment with ‘submit ticket’ everyone in comments replies saying ‘it doesnt work’ nothing changes…

over 1000 sales at $45 a shot… thats a fair bit of money there. If an author does not want to provide any support, dont advertise it. Simple.

Also – TF – if a theme has consistent bugs and 9 months of pages full of comments with all buyers saying the same thing and being brushed aside, surely you should be doing something about it.

I was asked by you to submit a ticket, I did. Then heard nothing back. When I flagged this up publicly in this thread, you asked me again – to submit a ticket.

I did. and heard nothing back…

whats going on? seems like any buyers with any problems are simply being ignored for the sake of continues sales taking place…

by
by
by
by
by
by