6 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
Nemesiss says

Hi,

I’m not sure what can be done about this. I’ve purchased a wp template that had a very large amount of downloads and a very good rating. However, since purchasing the template the support for the product is very limited. I realize that not all authors support their templates but in this case there was a lot of comments.

The real issue at hand is the censorship of the comments. I’ve posted the same questions with a list of some things that I would like a response to, and now I’ve started to notice my posted comments are being deleted. I’m not sure if the author has the ability to do that, but they are definitely being removed.

If this is happening to other comments the overall perception of positive comments is false. I have emailed the author, I have posted comment after comment and still nothing.

My frustration is not only the lack of responses, but the deleting of my comments in the comments section. Is there anything that can be done? I’m fairly confident others are probably experiencing the same thing which gives new potential users a false sense of how good the product and support really is.

Thanks.

498 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
simonswiss says

An author cannot delete any comment posted on their item.

Maybe posting comment after comments with lists after lists is not the best aproach – it gets irritating and you’d better wait a bit more and see if an answer comes to you.

Have you checked if the author is using a support forum? He may be on holiday or sick / family issue.. If the theme has a lots of sales and good rating, the author obviously did some things right.

I know it can be frustrating when questions are not answered, but try contain this frustration as a clingy attitude will not make the author want to bend backwards for you.

Just my 2 cents.. Hopefully you will get an answer and support soon.

6 posts
Nemesiss says

Your assuming far to much in your post, but that could be my fault with the impression I gave about flooding the comments section. This isn’t my first rodeo when it comes to dealing with authors, forums, cms sites, etc. etc. and I have been polite, and patient. I would think 4 requests in 4 months to be less than a “clingy attitude”. (speaking of attitude…cough) Your reply seems to be bias from an authors perspective.

The author seems to pick and chose his support responses, many of which appear to be of the copy and paste variety and are recent.

In the end, I think authors should support the product and there should be some sort of accountability towards that since people are paying for a product. I know there are the nightmare customers out there that can give cause for headaches with authors but that isn’t the majority. As for the other point, if the author doesn’t have the ability to remove a post who does?

You are right about one thing, I am frustrated.

498 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
simonswiss says

Your initial message sure sounded like way more than 4 messages in 4 months – in that case that would mean you have waited a month after each question. If that’s the case, that is too much and i understand your frustration.

I didn’t mean to come out with an attitude, but to me your message sounded more like 4 messages in 4 days than 4 months. My apologises if i miss-read into it.

My reply might be sticking up for authors indeed, but if you look at my badges i am (currently) more of a buyer than a seller.

I can tell you for fact that us authors cannot remove any comment that is posted on our items.

I agree with you that authors should provide support for their items, and hire staff to deal with the support if it becomes too much. However, it is not an obligation for envato authors to do so, so make sure you read the author’s positioning on support before buying items.

Simon

6 posts
Nemesiss says

Ya, my bad on that one. I did give the impression I was some sort of posting machine.

The difficulty is that I don’t even know if some of the questions I’m asking (such as, is the template child theme compatible) have already been answered as there are literally hundreds of pages of comments. I did suggest making a forum for users to search the answers themselves but that isn’t something that is in place.

I guess I will keep asking my questions in hopes that something comes of it. At this point I just think the author is not responding because the questions I’m asking about are real short comings of his product and if potential clients see the response that I think will be given it will end up costing him sales.

As for the posts being removed. It’s happening. Makes me wonder how many others have had their posts removed. When i was looking at purchasing this template I read many, many pages of comments to see how users were responding to the product and the support. Obviously I now think the whole story about the product is not being shared.

367 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
pixelgrade says

The only way for an author to remove a comment is to mark it as inappropriate and have it reviewed by the Envato team.

6 posts
Nemesiss says

I guess I will contact the Envato team since my comments are far from inappropriate.

by
by
by
by
by
by