209 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Greece
+2 more
corethemes says

Hello everyone,

First of all, let me make it clear that I love Envato, Themeforest and the staff, but there are some glaring issues that could definitely see some improvement.

1) Popular item lists

They dictate the sales an item will eventually get by a large margin. Someone could say that that’s fair, because if you sell enough on your first week, you should be rewarded with more exposure and more sales.

That’s be true and fine, IF WE COULD DECIDE when to release on our items! Example, item no1 gets released on Monday, gets 24 sales through the week, item no2 gets released on Friday, getting 20 sales over just 2 days.

Guess which item gets more exposure. This makes the whole process random and frustrating.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION 1: Show the most popular items of the last 7 days, from Tuesday to Tuesday, etc.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION 2: After approval, we get to decide when to enable our item. Something like a release schedule.

2) Ratings

Some people cannot comprehend that customization =/= support or are expecting instant support 24/7. Get a rating of 1 star, scaring customers away from your item.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION: Every rating is accompanied by a comment by the customer, comments are moderated, and can be reported to the staff. Also helps items getting positive feedback even more.

Let me know what you guys think, Nikos

1210 posts The Last Man Standing
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+7 more
ImanGM says

Hey,

I’m one of the fans of popular items page. I believe that if a theme has enough potential to sell, it will enter into popular items even if it’s not published on the Monday or Tuesday. If it loose the first week, it will be there in the next week. By the other words, the items that are in popular items page deserve it to be there…

ThemeForest is not only its homepage. You are able to sell even if you are on the 10th page. Of course selling in the first days are better but if you have a good plan for your item, you can keep the high sales at least for one month.

About the rating, I have concerns about it too. For example I have a high rated item. Some day one clients who was very happy gave me a 4 stars, then emailed me that

I love your theme and I’ve just rated your item! Thank you so much for your great support and beautiful theme!

You know? I thanks him politely because it was not ethical to ask him to change his rating to 5 :D Actually he was trying to recommend my theme to other clients but a four stars here means that I don’t like this theme enough and it lowered my rating…

I’m not sure if it’s possible or not but I think at least it’s better to have words instead of stars, for example:

Change 5 Stars to > I love this item
Change 4 Stars to > I highly recommend this item
Change 3 Stars to > I’m satisfied with my purchase
Change 2 Stars to > I don’t recommend this item
And Finally
change 1 Star to > This is a disaster! :D

At least by doing this a 4 stars rated item is an acceptable item in the marketplace.

Cheers,
Iman

21 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
WaveThemes says

I kind of agree with Nikos (corethemes). If your items gets approved on Friday, you might also get short on the second week and by then your chances to get listed on the popular items list is low.

But I don’t think that a day by day weekly popular list will be a good solution either. Some days sell good and others don’t. So if your item doesn’t sell good for 2 days because of thanksgiving for example, then you might lose your ranking.

What might be a better solution is that new items get a custom sales count based upon their first 7 days and after this start using the regular weekly count.

Cheers

21 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
WaveThemes says

Oh and another thing I agree on is the rating stuff. Some users rated us with 1 star because we didn’t send them all demo content including pictures we don’t own the right to.

Build my site exactly like your theme demo or I will rate you with one star and report you to Envato and they will strip you from your Authorship.

And the guy wasn’t joking.

Now we have 2 1-star ratings. Which is great.

In my opinion only users with 6 months+ accounts and more than 3 purchases should be able to rate. And bad ratings should always have an explanation attached.

455 posts WordPress Gurus!
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
ThemeBeans says

And bad ratings should always have an explanation attached.

This. +1

4598 posts Love & Light
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

And bad ratings should always have an explanation attached.
This. +1

-1 gives more power to angry buyers, they already posted 1 star out of spite, now we want a message attached for other buyers to read and get the wrong idea? haha..

The rating system uses the Mean average so it adds the numbers and divides by the total numbers. eg 1,4,5 = 3.3 stars (displays as 3 stars)

What it should use is the Median average which takes the most common middle value of all ratings. eg 1,4,5 = 4 stars (displays as 4 stars) 1,4,5,5 = full 5 star rating. This would be a far truer reflection of a files rating, especially for those unfair 1 star ratings.

Use the calculator here to see how Median would work better over Mean average.

PS.. they don’t call it Mean average for nothing.. :notfunny:

4598 posts Love & Light
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

^ hmm seems like the Median works well if there are mostly high numbers, and one or two low numbers… but if there are alot of lows and highs, then the median can actually be lower than the average haha.

Perhaps we need some kind of combo between median and the average.. some kind of algorithm that will disregard unusually low numbers from the data set. Because if you have 1, 5, 5.. the average is only 3.6

251 posts JoomFX.com
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has referred 200+ members
+3 more
joomfx says

About the rating, I have concerns about it too. For example I have a high rated item. Some day one clients who was very happy gave me a 4 stars, then emailed me that

I love your theme and I’ve just rated your item! Thank you so much for your great support and beautiful theme!

Yep, just happened to me too (and this is not the first time)
This particular customer wrote in our Support Forum:

Great Support guys! Thank you for the quick answer. I will rate the item now ;)

Then I refreshed the Item Page on Themeforest and I saw the 4 star rating. Great, simply great :)

I hope we will see some chages in the Rating System soon. This has been widely discussed but still the Rating System is really not good enough. We have also been manipulated by customers, I mean we were in situations where we had to choose between doing the Customization Request or getting the 1 star rating :)
And there are many more examples…

@Iman – I don’t know if replacing the stars with words is the best solution but it sound good. I like it ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by