LucaPuggioniWebDesign
LucaPuggioniWebDesign Recent Posts Threads Started
3 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Italy
LucaPuggioniWebDesign says

Because I would like to create my first HTML Theme and then later create the Wordpress Version.. Thanks

219 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
NuclearThemes says

You can’t create a WP version of someone elses work.

LucaPuggioniWebDesign
3 posts
  • Located in Italy

So i can create a WP version of my HTML theme, right ?

406 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Located in Nepal
+3 more
RelStudios says
LucaPuggioniWebDesign said

yep :)

271 posts The Dominant One
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+5 more
wptitans says
LucaPuggioniWebDesign said

Sure you can, when you create an html template your allowed to turn this in to wordpress theme and sell it.

Then you have a html version and separate wordpress version. everybody does it this way. They have psd, html and wordpress version of the same theme.

Only your not allowed to create a wordpress version of an html theme which is not yours.

3249 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

So this doesn’t confuse anyone that comes across this thread…..

Can you buy a site template/html and convert it to Wordpress? Yes you can if it is for personal use, for a client or within the restrictions of the license that you have purchased.

Does that mean you can resell it on themeforest or any other marketplace? no, the original author still holds the copyright for the files so without their permission you may not resell it or redistribute it in any means.

Can you create a WordPress theme from a Site template/html theme that you created? Yes, its your work Envato only restricts where it can be sold(if you’re an exclusive author)

Can you give away a PSD /HTML version of your WordPress theme? Yes if it NOT for sale anywhere on the marketplace or has been removed for longer than 30 days….

I think that covers most of it, someone add to it if Im wrong/theres more

LucaPuggioniWebDesign
3 posts
  • Located in Italy
OrganicBeeMedia said
So this doesn’t confuse anyone that comes across this thread…..

Can you buy a site template/html and convert it to Wordpress? Yes you can if it is for personal use, for a client or within the restrictions of the license that you have purchased.

Does that mean you can resell it on themeforest or any other marketplace? no, the original author still holds the copyright for the files so without their permission you may not resell it or redistribute it in any means.

Can you create a WordPress theme from a Site template/html theme that you created? Yes, its your work Envato only restricts where it can be sold(if you’re an exclusive author)

Can you give away a PSD /HTML version of your WordPress theme? Yes if it NOT for sale anywhere on the marketplace or has been removed for longer than 30 days….

I think that covers most of it, someone add to it if Im wrong/theres more

1012 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+7 more
purethemes says
OrganicBeeMedia said
Can you buy a site template/html and convert it to Wordpress? Yes you can if it is for personal use, for a client or within the restrictions of the license that you have purchased. Does that mean you can resell it on themeforest or any other marketplace? no, the original author still holds the copyright for the files so without their permission you may not resell it or redistribute it in any means.
What if you bought extended license for HTML template? I just ask, because I was contacted lately by a guy who bought HTML template, he converted it to WordPress using some 3rd party service ( html2wordpress kind of service), and he wanted to make some fixes so he asked me. He has intention to start his own theme shop and it’s gonna be his first theme (I know he has couple of webiste with big audience). But the best part is that template is already converted to WordPress by its original author, and is good seller here. He changed a little bit about how this theme works, but layout and graphic is the same. I had big WTF on my face when I’ve found out about it. Does that kind of thing breaks license?
343 posts
  • Located in Netherlands
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+4 more
RikdeVos says
purethemes said
OrganicBeeMedia said
Can you buy a site template/html and convert it to Wordpress? Yes you can if it is for personal use, for a client or within the restrictions of the license that you have purchased. Does that mean you can resell it on themeforest or any other marketplace? no, the original author still holds the copyright for the files so without their permission you may not resell it or redistribute it in any means.
What if you bought extended license for HTML template? I just ask, because I was contacted lately by a guy who bought HTML template, he converted it to WordPress using some 3rd party service ( html2wordpress kind of service), and he wanted to make some fixes so he asked me. He has intention to start his own theme shop and it’s gonna be his first theme (I know he has couple of webiste with big audience). But the best part is that template is already converted to WordPress by its original author, and is good seller here. He changed a little bit about how this theme works, but layout and graphic is the same. I had big WTF on my face when I’ve found out about it. Does that kind of thing breaks license?

I think that’s legal. I think you are allowed to buy an extended license of someone’s HTML theme, convert it to Wordpress, and sell it on Themeforest.

3447 posts
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says
RikdeVos said
I think that’s legal. I think you are allowed to buy an extended license of someone’s HTML theme, convert it to Wordpress, and sell it on Themeforest.

That’s definitely not allowed. You can’t use an extended license of one ThemeForest product in another ThemeForest product. Think of the issues this would cause for authors that release an HTML template – they could get beaten to releasing their WordPress version.

However, buying an extended license here, converting to WordPress, and selling on another site MAY be allowed under the license. The question is really whether the new product being sold differs significantly enough from the original product to constitute a New Work. This is a gray area in many cases. Envato is working to improve the language and clarity of the licenses, so hopefully there will be fewer questions about this in the future (or at least they’ll have a more definitive answer).

For now, I’d recommend opting out of the extended license if you don’t want this type of thing to occur – it can be dangerous :(

by
by
by
by
by
by