• Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
filmTones says

Lost everything on my harddrive
It happened to me once, lost video game music I was just about finished with, and had to redo everything from scratch. I paid $400 just to have a recovery house evaluate the drive, they said it was unrecoverable. If I could have, i would have gladly paid the $2000 to recover my files but it wasn’t an option. The client wasn’t very happy and neither was I. Needless to say, I’m much better about backing up data after that experience!:)
5085 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

It transpired when I went to pick up the machine, from Apple tech ( different guy ) he gave me back my old harddrive no quibble.

I said, the other teh guy said I am not allowed it back. He said that is because ( between you and I ) that as techs we get $10 commission for each part we recover when swapping out parts. I was pissed !!

That dick gave me all that grief over a $10 buck commission ! So now we will try and recover data from the HD and hey ho.

My biggest issue now, is having re set up Sublime and Transmit. I download file using transmit, andit saves to downloads folder and not opens in Sublime. So now I have to locate the file, open with sublime, save then drag file from downloads to transmit.

Fark if I only I could remember how to set everything up :(

1196 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+3 more
Pricop says

That’s a pretty ridiculous amount for a 1tb hard drive!!! :O
Welcome to Australia ! lol Everything costs twice as much. Plus APPLE AU have a policy you cannot have your old HD back, they flatly refuse.

I remember that the Adobe’s products have way much higher prices than US and Europe, that sucks.

434 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
ZozoUI says

There are some HD recovery software which can restore data from damaged hd.

1365 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
WebSmacker says

Sorry to hear that happened. I’m going to double check my backups now just in case

5085 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
Australia says

Sorry to hear that happened. I’m going to double check my backups now just in case

You know, I am still more in shock at the fact I hadnt backed up anything. Lets hope no one else is like me ( a tit ) lol

1365 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
WebSmacker says

You’re not the only one. My brother’s hard drive crashed 6 months ago and I couldn’t recover the data. It’s pricey to send it to a lab to recover. He lost 5 years worth of pictures and videos of his 2 kids – really sucked.

541 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
Blinn says

I think it’d be a wise thing to back up your most valued files both online and offline. That way, you can use one source to cover the other in case something happens. Also try and back up your irreplaceable files in more than one source, both online and offline so that you won’t have to rely on the services of a company that for all intents and purposes sees you as an open wallet. Where I shop for electronics, you can get a 1 TB HD for about $120. Get 3 of them and you’re well equipped to deal with a computer casualty, provided you back up your data that is.

Also, I’ve noticed a trend in many of the larger corporations such as Apple, Adobe, Microsoft, etc, to put profits first and the needs of the customer second, if not somewhere far below. Perhaps it’s time we as customers began to explore other, smaller, friendlier, more helpful companies which do an excellent job in whatever they specialize in. I think one major reason why larger companies, generally speaking, tend to put the needs of the company above the needs of the customer, is because they’ve grown so comfortable where they are that they don’t feel it’s necessary to tend to the customer’s needs anymore.

If you’re making record profits, what need is there to put forth the effort to make the customer happy? They can just make a cop-out suggestion along the lines of “we don’t do repairs, you’ll just have to buy a new one” as if what they’re selling has no real value to them. Common sense would tell you to stuff Mr. Customer Service Agent and take the thing that needs a repair to someone who actually does offer repairs if the first person or company you talk to doesn’t. Come to think of it, if they don’t even value their own products enough to provide decent repairs for them when they break, should people reward them for their indifference by going with their suggestion and buying a new one? People invest their time, money and their lives into their electronics and losing something like that can be painful and frustrating to say the very least.

In a world filled with substandard service from some of the largest corporations in the world, people have a marvelous opportunity to start their own business and excel in it by learning from the mistakes of those who tend to take their customers for granted and restoring some order to a world full of monkey business. To conduct their business so that not only the company makes a profit, but all the customers as well through what they’re getting for their money.

306 posts Keeping Things Simple
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Portugal
+2 more
cmoreira says

Damn… just starting a better backup plan myself after reading this. :)

I mean, I do backup some small stuff to dropbox from time to time.. at least work in progress.

But this unlimited online backup solutions are interesting. Might be worth for the videos/pictures/etc.. because I already had some external HD die on me also…

Hope you recover fast from that ‘Australia! I know it’s not easy…

cheers

341 posts
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred more than 2000 users
krafti says

... and then it stopped :(

HD on my mac has just committed suicide. The doctor at Apple Mac center, said [ FAILED ] ...

Prognosis, new 1tb hd for $327.00

Kicking myself I didnt back anything up :( that will bloody teach me

lol 2 weeks ago same problem here, just ordered a ssd, problem solved :D

by
by
by
by
by
by