236 posts Marketplace Developer
  • Envato Staff
  • Envato Developer
  • New Zealand
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
madlep Dev says

1. The TITLE tag should reflect the query.

Yup. Will be deploying fix for that shortly.

2. Using multiple words expands the results rather than reducing them. It should be the opposite. See: http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/item-comment-search-is-here-finally/113958?page=2#928248 In my item comments, searching for “downloadable” returns 105 comments, but the more specific “downloadable products” returns 637 comments (that’s 38% of all comments on this item). That’s pretty useless to somebody looking for info about that particular product type in Magento.

Yup. Correct that the search is doing an “OR” (more or less). Is that really a problem though? The relevancy scoring works so that comments with both terms in them are boosted higher, and appear at the top of search results. Comments with only one of the terms ends up lower down the list. If it was changed to be an “AND”, the search results would end up less useful.

I think we still want to ensure that phrases together like that are boosted up higher though. I’ll add that to the list of things to work on.

3. The relevancy algorithm is prioritizing partial string matches “download” over exact matches “downloadable products”.

Good feedback thanks. I’ll adjust the boosting on the query so that exact matches are boosted higher than stemmed matches.

90 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+1 more
PixFlow says

Thank you devs ;)

67 posts
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • United Kingdom
Plugarized says

Let’s get the page numbering fixed back to the previous way and it should solve both problems.

+1

Also, the search should be weighted toward newer comments. For example, maybe a feature didn’t exist 2 years ago, but has since been added. I’d hate for a customer to search for “feature A” and find a comment that says “no, that is not a feature”, when in the meantime it has been made part of the product.

I think maybe we need better comment curation abilities now that we have search. Perhaps something like being able to mark comments as excluded from search (by the author) – comments that are no longer relevant to the current version of the item (whether regarding features or solutions) should be excluded from results, or this could just cause greater customer confusion.

Thanks guys!

How about searching by time range ( search for comments within “x days, x weeks, x months) etc or by product update version, like clicking the version value and then return all comments since that version.

This way we can filter out any old comments and if the user is searching for a particular feature request within a certain version, you can use the version value filter.

323 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
familychoice says

I notice that after posting a comment, I’m redirected away from the comments page into a search comments area:

http://i.imgur.com/Uu5L6ku.jpg

with duplicated breadcrumb navigation. I then have to find my way back to the page I was on to see my live comment.

All a bit of a cludge, and not as user friendly as it was previously.

1685 posts Time is what you desire most, but waste carelessly.
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
+1 more
Firsh says

Great! I’d love if it’d accept usernames and show all comments by that user, not just those where that user was mentioned.

2024 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
+3 more
revaxarts says

Bug Report:

The link in the email notification is wrong. It links to

http://codecanyon.net/item/item-title/discussion/1234567?page=88&filter=All%20Discussion#comment_654321

while it should link to

http://codecanyon.net/item/item-title/1234567/comments?page=175#comment_654321

Please note that also the “page” variable is different!
Yup. That’s a bug. Fixed now.

Has this been fixed? It seems I still get wrong links. I need that for some automation stuff :)

572 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
GravityDept says

1. The TITLE tag should reflect the query.

Yup. Will be deploying fix for that shortly.

2. Using multiple words expands the results rather than reducing them. It should be the opposite. See: http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/item-comment-search-is-here-finally/113958?page=2#928248 In my item comments, searching for “downloadable” returns 105 comments, but the more specific “downloadable products” returns 637 comments (that’s 38% of all comments on this item). That’s pretty useless to somebody looking for info about that particular product type in Magento.

Yup. Correct that the search is doing an “OR” (more or less). Is that really a problem though? The relevancy scoring works so that comments with both terms in them are boosted higher, and appear at the top of search results. Comments with only one of the terms ends up lower down the list. If it was changed to be an “AND”, the search results would end up less useful.

I think we still want to ensure that phrases together like that are boosted up higher though. I’ll add that to the list of things to work on.

3. The relevancy algorithm is prioritizing partial string matches “download” over exact matches “downloadable products”.
Good feedback thanks. I’ll adjust the boosting on the query so that exact matches are boosted higher than stemmed matches.

When I think of the most common questions people ask me in comments, they would use a 2-3 word phrase to search for that. Generally the components of that phrase include words like “product” or “type” or “checkout” that appear in literally hundreds of comments.

Initially I saw single-term matches ranking higher than exact matches in the results, and the order seemed fairly random. It looks like the weighting was adjusted so it’s more accurate today.

michellerobinson
michellerobinson Recent Posts Threads Started
49 posts
  • Australia
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
michellerobinson Staff says

I notice that after posting a comment, I’m redirected away from the comments page into a search comments area: http://i.imgur.com/Uu5L6ku.jpg

with duplicated breadcrumb navigation. I then have to find my way back to the page I was on to see my live comment.

Thanks for the feedback, we are looking into that bug now.

323 posts
  • Exclusive Author
familychoice says

I notice that after posting a comment, I’m redirected away from the comments page into a search comments area: http://i.imgur.com/Uu5L6ku.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, we are looking into that bug now.

Great stuff.

by
by
by
by
by
by