164 posts
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
Cara_design says

Hi all, apologies for newbie question.

I appreciate that support for any theme is voluntary and that $50 for a WP theme is amazing value so no this is not a rant. One of our team bought a theme recently (not my account) and it turns out there are some bugs in it – certain elements do not respond correctly, settings which crash the site and so on.

We can fix most of these but due to the questionable way in which some the theme is coded it is not easy. The author has been no where to be seen for over a month and comments on all their themes by irate buyers. Many tickets have been submitted into a seemingly non working queue in a barely functioning support system.

In the item description it clearly states that in detail about the support that you will get in different formats. So My question is given that support is after all voluntary if they are preaching about it in the item description (errors in code aside) does this constitute “Not as described” and would that potentially deserve a refund?

Thanks for any thoughts

894 posts
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
infuse01 says

I don’t speak as an official here, because I don’t know it for sure, but I guess yeah – that should be eligible for a refund from my point of view. But of course you should proof that you actually purchased this item, and that there was no support at all, although its clearly stated that support is given through forum, comments or whatever and the theme really has those bugs you mentioned and they are not caused by a misconfiguration of your server, a badly developed 3rd party plugin or similar.

However, I’ve flagged this post for a staff reply. Hopefully one of the staff members will have a quick look at it and give a more detailed answer. Otherwise I would write to Envato Support – explaining your issue in detail.

164 posts
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
Cara_design says

Hi infuse, thank you for your quick reply. Absolutely would get the query submitted from our designer who purchased it (he is away with clients until thurs which is why I posted it), and as i said appreciate that what we got for $50 is still a lot of work, it was just one of those cases where they make a big deal about support and then is frustrating that things like elements not responding correctly is not picked up in review and the bits and pieces that will require quite a lot of work just to get the file into working order.

While the required work is one thing for us who do this professionally it must be terrible for the buyers who lack experience when they buy it.

Will wait for support and will get the guy who paid for it to submit the ticket. Many thanks for your quick reply.

by
by
by
by
by
by