50 posts AA-Team
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+6 more
AA-Team says

Hello guys,

I have a question for you, maybe this happened to you too.

Did anyone tried to buy a item / product of yours & the rights to reproduce/improve and resell it?

I got a proposition from a client and it seems a little strange the request he’s asking.

Thanks in advance! :D

Cheers, A

1039 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
Pixelworkshop says

This could work with the extended license but well, there should be enough modifications to have a new products I guess… But I’m not very good concerning the licenses.

(c) Unless you have our prior written consent, you must not directly or indirectly license, sub-license, sell or resell or provide for free the Work or offer to do any of these things unless the Work is incorporated into a work you have created. All of these things are referred to as Resale.

From that, it should be another product…

3445 posts
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

Right, they’d have to incorporate it in a larger product, which does not sound like the case here. Say your product is a contact form. The extended license would give the buyer of that license the ability to take the contact form and include it in a website template/theme for resale – because it is included as part of a larger Work. It does not give them the right to take your product, tweak something, and sell it as their own contact form.

To do that they’d need to obtain approval from both you and Envato it seems.

The exception would be if it’s a WordPress plugin. The PHP would be GPL and unfortunately that means, legally, they could take it and do whatever they like with it. Though my understanding is in this case it would not be acceptable for sale on the Envato marketplaces.

50 posts AA-Team
+6 more
AA-Team says

Asked for some details from the client, and after receiving them it seems that he wants to buy one of my items, to translate it into another language and to resell it (not on codecanyon)

I don’t think this covers a extended license :D

What he wants (i think) is that I’ll sell the rights to the item completely and remove it from codecanyon, and he uses the product as his own – sells it elsewhere.

Anyway thanks for the infos.

Cheers, A

256 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Belgium
+9 more
Sitebase says

Ask 1000 times the price of the item. That’s what I always do when I get this question :).

50 posts AA-Team
+6 more
AA-Team says

Ask 1000 times the price of the item. That’s what I always do when I get this question :).

that’s a good idea! :))

thanks, A

by
by
by
by
by
by