368 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
QBKL says

A very critical problem is that we are using the word “Support”. There such be no such thing as “support” for cheap stock products. We write thorough documentation to explain how everything works and themes go through a review process to ensure they are working. A buyer should definitely be able to report theme bugs and authors must fix them, otherwise the theme is soft-disabled. But that is the extent of how the system should be.

Couldn’t have put it better myself!

4678 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

Guys, opt in/opt out is not a good solution! Think about it, almost all authors will give “support” anyway, but having an “opt out” means buyers will think “support” is not included, in other words, a system like that will make good authors who do provide “support” but are against Envato dictating/making extra money off their time for literally nothing in return, potentially look bad to buyers. I would 100% opt out of being forced to do support on Envato’s terms, because I am my own boss and I signed up to Envato in the first place because it fitted with my other projects, lifestyle and work ethic, however, by opting out, buyers may not consider my items because they think I don’t provide “support”

True, that is why there is no opt out. Either we agree and let Envato control and add further fees to our support time (support packs) or we “opt out” and sell else where.

6029 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

I asked the following question in the previous thread but no response. So just asking it again, (I guarantee there will be no more questions from me) :

////////////////////////////////////////////
@Collis & justinfrench,

Please don’t skip this question. Since this mandatory support and consequent features going to take unpredictable amount of works until December 1 and also beyond that date, it is clear that you will have solid reasons to inform that:

“We are busy with the recurring works related to item support through out 2015 “

So I wanted to ask this priorly:

When the faceted search and related features going to ship? Do you really have a dev team to handle that right now and in the coming year to deliver it efficiently without compromise?

I ask this because, in the past 2-3 pages, both of your answers covered nearly half a dozen commitments that’s related to item support, rating system, dispute related involvements, managing guidelines etc. This is a huge, complex and unpredictable task since those issues related to policing and guidelines were never proven to be taken care / experienced by Envato from 2008 to 2014.
////////////////////////////////////////////

625 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
theAlThemist says

FRESH example (just posted on the forums 2 minutes ago):

Why does support take so long to reply to a ticket.. is there anyway of getting hold of these guys for a latest version of a theme ? i have developers sitting around waiting.. because your support takes so long i had to buy again the theme just to get the new version, sort it out, thats fucking ridiculous.

And you’ll make it MANDATORY to help this [self censored]? There is no force in the known world that can make me help him either paid or free!!!

I would rather “opt out” as DS said and sell elsewhere (especially looking how competitors doing (and growing) every single day).

Every LOYALTY have it’s limits. We all LOVE envato for what it is (or was when we signed up) and what it gave us, but there are borders that must not be crossed under any conditions!

266 posts JoomFX.com
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has referred 200+ members
+3 more
joomfx says

Thank you very much Collis! This timeout is definitely a step in the right direction, not only for author but for Envato and for the buyers as well.

This timeout is a really nice surprise because it actually shows that the community (still) means something for you :)

I do not know the exact percentage, but in my opinion 99% of the authors already provide Support. Buyers are not at risk, not at all. If they do not already have some “favorite” authors they are familiar with (both product and support wise) they can simply read the Item Comments, ask pre-sales question and so on in order to find out if they will get any Support after purchasing a particular Item.

Anyway, here’s what’s my opinion on the Topic:

• Do not make Support mandatory. There is no point to do that (see above). This is not the idea of the Marketplace and this is not what we signed up for.
  • Build a nice, fully-featured Support platform for the authors. It should be up to the author to decide if they want to use it or not.
  • Once you have the Support Platform up and running you can implement “Premium Support”, “Support Packages” and so on, but it should NOT be mandatory

Thank you once again for re-thinking all this :)

Guys, opt in/opt out is not a good solution! Think about it, almost all authors will give “support” anyway, but having an “opt out” means buyers will think “support” is not included, in other words, a system like that will make good authors who do provide “support” but are against Envato dictating/making extra money off their time for literally nothing in return, potentially look bad to buyers.

I would 100% opt out of being forced to do support on Envato’s terms, because I am my own boss and I signed up to Envato in the first place because it worked with my lifestyle and work ethic, however, by opting out, buyers may not consider my items because they think I don’t provide “support”

A very critical problem is that we are using the word “Support”. There such be no such thing as “support” for cheap stock products. We write thorough documentation to explain how everything works and themes go through a review process to ensure they are working. A buyer should definitely be able to report theme bugs and authors must fix them, otherwise the theme is soft-disabled. But that is the extent of how the system should be.

+1 Definitely a big concern.

1708 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
dnp_theme says

Speaking of freadom, again

Music for travel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I61zWjkK3hE

Design for slave or freedom?

Where are we heading here?

625 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
theAlThemist says

• Build a nice, fully-featured Support platform for the authors. It should be up to the author to decide if they want to use it or not.

I would even gladly pay a 100 USD monthly fee for this if built properly and integrated with my account!

1795 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Located in United States
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

Good to see that we’re being listened. However, it doesn’t really make me any less concerned. This is just a “delay”, something for them to “analyze” the data. Meaning it will most likely still be added.

No matter what, I will never guarantee support to anyone.

I will be on vacation 12 months a year and that’s it. If you force me not to be on vacation 12 months, then it’s clear that Envato will want us to be employees and not partners, which obviously won’t work.

Support is up to our discretion, it comes with OUR items, not with yours, you can’t interfere with our work if you’re not part of it. You deal with your payments and interface and we deal with the items. That’s our agreement.

3 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
WiselyThemes says

Hi everyone!

Just have a question here. If the purchase of an item includes 6 months of free support what will prevent the customer from buying the same item a second or third time to extend the support instead of buying a pack of support?

if the customer purchase a html template for $15 and the support pack cost $50, why not buy again the same template to have more 6 months of free support? I think it doesn’t matter if they have six , three or even just a free month …. people will eventually get around the system. In my opinion if you want to make a business out of it, would be better to:

1. Have two prices: with or without support
  2. Increase product prices and maintain the basic support

Does any of this makes sense? :P Hope that Envato finds the best way to solve the majority of the community concerns.

1288 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

(I’m a top buyer here)..

ENVATO WP THEME SUPPORT FORUM: ...um you need one—where is it? I would think to myself if I were new here. Why no Envato FORUM with threads for general WP theme support?

One suggestion to help authors is, given how much $$ envato makes, I think You/Envato should also provide support independently of authors, for wordpress general theme type questions.

Given your resources, Envato, you guys really need to have a “general wp support” forum for buyers, that authors can point to for “go ask your question there” help for buyers, for newbie/non theme-specific questions. Don’t make authors shoulder 100% of the support burden, that’s not fair I think. You need to hire a forum moderator/wp pro to field general newbie wp questions, in a central place, with regular forum.

That way, authors can say “general WP questions? See the Envato WP Theme Support Forum first”... that would Really help everyone.

So for theme-specific questions, authors still need to do that… but for General wordpress / plugin / dumb questions from wp newbies / That should be something Envato maintains a support forum for. It’s a massive WP theme store, and yet you guys have Zero support forum, with searchable threads. wtf I’d think if i were a new buyer. for that matter wtf I’d think if I were an author being asked to do a ton more support work.

What do you guys think? Envato makes a bundle, I think Envato should shoulder some of the WP theme support burden, at least for general WP support issues, in a forum, like other WP theme member sites do. It may not be fair to authors to take 30% and not shoulder any of the support burden for general WP theme questions; look at wp membership sites where for a small amount buyers get multiple themes plus support forum for example. What say you, authors?

I’m one of the world’s top internet marketer-types, online fulltime 15+ years, that’s good advice. for free even :)

AUTHORS: Vote +1 if you agree

by
by
by
by
by
by