61 posts WordPress Addict
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
bolderelements says

1. Envato needs to spend the time and money to build and host a complete and functional support system for all of us to use. Something that integrates completely with our products, with buyer licenses, and any other pertinent info that makes managing a support system for Envato products easier to maintain. As a whole, the author community has wasted millions of hours, each of us coming up with our own support systems. Just setting up a support system alone is a huge task… and if you want to integrate it with the API and sales data that a whole other huge undertaking. Envato could have a single, centralized support system will all the bells and whistles that we can just “use”. How nice would that be! 2. Envato should employ a support staff to answer basic HTML, CSS, WordPress, etc. support questions (and give authors a quick button in “Envato’s new wonderful support system” to push these questions off to) so authors don’t need to support questions that are “general” questions… We should only need to answer questions that pertain to our specific files.

+100000

This is exactly my concern, I think the Envato is putting their resources into the wrong place. You can’t force support without a good system, and having a good system could still make things so much easier that you wouldn’t have to force it.

I spent weeks working on my support site and I’m still adding to it. Every day I start out with hours of email, support requests through my support site, and comments through CodeCanyon. I loved doing this at first, but now I’m just always stressed because support has taken over my life. I hardly have enough time to fix bugs let alone add new versions in between all the communications. PLEASE HELP!

47 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+7 more
vamtam says

@envato, Collis:

Let me show you something else.

These are the numbers of one of my latest items:

How come is the support only 20%??!? 665 sales/814 comments.

Where did you get your Math diploma??

Now check the rating. How come are my customers not served and protected with the support not mandatory? How many items on the marketplace have a 100% 5-stars ratings (if they have more than 50 ratings for example)???

Check some of my other old items’ rating while keeping in mind last year I was OUT OF BUSINESS for almost 6 months (this should be easy for you to check) after a severe car accident in which I barely survived. How did I managed to keep the average rating 4,5 stars if I am not protecting my customers with support not mandatory?

Which part of these stats you could improve with the new rules? Get my freedom? It’s not for sale! Sorry!

+1

701 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+1 more
Typps says

Now check the rating. How come are my customers not served and protected with the support not mandatory? How many items on the marketplace have a 100% 5-stars ratings (if they have more than 50 ratings for example)???

Check some of my other old items’ rating while keeping in mind last year I was OUT OF BUSINESS for almost 6 months (this should be easy for you to check) after a severe car accident in which I barely survived. How did I managed to keep the average rating 4,5 stars if I am not protecting my customers with support not mandatory?

Which part of these stats you could improve with the new rules? Get my freedom? It’s not for sale! Sorry!

There’s too much noise in the comments, specifically presale and repeat questions by the same customers.

Not sure what all this has anything to do with the proposed changes though. In fact, under the proposed changes you will benefit more than the average Joe it seems, based on the activity alone.

In 6 months, you will deal with less support and even earn more from the same customer, who currently gets the same support at no cost.

3 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
sanljiljan says

@envato, Collis:

Let me show you something else.

These are the numbers of one of my latest items:

Classic scenario… +1

For something like this, will be natural to get fixed monthly payment from envato, something like employment with payment for extra hours for weekend, support after working time, pension, health Insurance and replacement in case of off-period. etc…

323 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
+2 more
squaredWeb says

There’s too much noise in the comments, specifically presale and repeat questions by the same customers.

Not sure what all this has anything to do the proposed changes though. In fact, under the proposed changes you will benefit more than the average Joe it seems, based on the activity alone.

In 6 months, you will deal with less support and even earn more from the same customer, who currently gets the same support at no cost.

That’s some wishful thinking.

The reality is currently support is not mandatory yet everybody gives it for various reasons. Some of those reasons being the fear of bad ratings, the fear of bad comments and the fear of bad word of mouth. Those are also the exact reasons that allow the small fraction of buyers who make our lifes miserable sometimes to practically blackmail us.

The 6 month rule changes absolutely nothing about that. Here is the reality, one of those customers comes along after 7 months and asks for support. You tell him that he has to purchase additional support time and he will simply threaten to give bad comments and bad ratings. And the chance of envato helping with this is, given their trackrecord with this topic, next to zero. So, you will most likely end up helping this guy anyway without him purchasing additional support time.

So now you did not earn more, you did not work less, but you sure as hell lost your freedom. And on top of that those guys get even more power for blackmail within the first 6 months since now support is mandatory and they can report you to envato for whatever reason, and again seeing with how less regard for authors envato sometimes disables themes i very much doubt this will never end in very dire situations for authors.

The reality is that i am afraid that in the end we will end up gaining nothing from that change, but losing a lot.

701 posts
+1 more
Typps says

The reality is currently support is not mandatory yet everybody gives it for various reasons. Some of those reasons being the fear of bad ratings, the fear of bad comments and the fear of bad word of mouth. Those are also the exact reasons that allow the small fraction of buyers who make our lifes miserable sometimes to practically blackmail us.

The 6 month rule changes absolutely nothing about that. Here is the reality, one of those customers comes along after 7 months and asks for support. You tell him that he has to purchase additional support time and he will simply threaten to give bad comments and bad ratings. And the chance of envato helping with this is, given their trackrecord with this topic, next to zero. So, you will most likely end up helping this guy anyway without him purchasing additional support time.

So now you did not earn more, you did not work less, but you sure as hell lost your freedom. And on top of that those guys get even more power for blackmail within the first 6 months since now support is mandatory and they can report you to envato for whatever reason, and again seeing with how less regard for authors envato sometimes disables themes i very much doubt this will never end in very dire situations for authors.

The reality is that i am afraid that in the end we will end up gaining nothing from that change, but losing a lot.

I thought the part with the ratings was clear. They will be limiting the rating period. This was mentioned in the previous thread.

http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/important-changes-to-item-support/140218?page=25&_ga=1.59843429.932802806.1409214149#1104366
46 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
Splendous says

Yap! While the outcome of the new process should be less noise from buyers with unusual requests and more incentive for the efforts authors are doing now a days. The question is that:

Without must-do scenario things are like that noisy, how the must-reply scenario will reduce the noise without compromising the rating/happy-customers since there are “bad” customer who will take it as their tools to do even more harm at the end?

I’m positive though- may be there are more critical concerns/issues need to take into account when a general-working-for-all policy going to effect the current echo system and enforce it for greater good. .:)

323 posts
+2 more
squaredWeb says

I thought the part with the ratings was clear. They will be limiting the rating period. This was mentioned in the previous thread.

http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/important-changes-to-item-support/140218?page=25&_ga=1.59843429.932802806.1409214149#1104366

He said they think about it. Huge difference. Support becoming mandatory and the one thing that would help authors prevent bad ratings after 6 months is basically an afterthought right now they aren’t sure about. Wouldn’t you agree this is a bit concerning since the whole change is supposedly being introduced to help authors.

And even if they do it, it doesn’t prevent people from commenting on your item. Good luck making sales with comments warning potential buyers from purchasing this “terrible item from a very bad author” true or not you will lose sales for it and you will want to prevent them.

55 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
nicole_89 says

Not sure what all this has anything to do with the proposed changes though. In fact, under the proposed changes you will benefit more than the average Joe it seems, based on the activity alone.

Mandatory support means taking away the option to say NO to abusing/disturbing users and it will also increase buyers expectation because they will see “mandatory support” not mandatory bug fixing which is already happening otherwise your item gets disabled also item features are written in the item description and documentation no need to include it under something called support.

This change will make authors life harder with nothing in return.

701 posts
+1 more
Typps says

Mandatory support means taking away the option to say NO to abusing/disturbing users and it will also increase buyers expectation because they will see “mandatory support” not mandatory bug fixing which is already happening otherwise your item gets disabled also item features are written in the item description and documentation no need to include it under something called support.

This change will make authors life harder with nothing in return.

I don’t know why you think you are safe today because support is not a requirement and you are doing it out of your own free will and goodness of your heart. You are still going to have to deal with that one aggressive customer that everybody gets once in a while. You can refuse him support and he will do all those bad things anyway.

IMHO there are no bad customers. If they bring up an issue that I can include as part of the support, I will offer it. If they go out of the way, I will tell them kindly the situation. This is a customer, not my friend. It’s just business as usual. There is nothing to be angry about. Infact, I just made a sale. I am happy. I will be doubly happy if my customer is happy too ^^

In 6 months, when he needs more help, I will make 70% out of the support/service package, treat him like a new customer. Everybody else that has not renewed wont get support. Less work for me. Great.

I guess there is some expectation from you now to provide the required support, but this does not have to be anything special. From what I understand, you just need to provide the same support you provide today.

by
by
by
by
by
by