• Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Malaysia
+1 more
Leokoo says
Here’s something to read :)
http://www.poststat.us/backupbuddy-gold-and-unlimited-updates/

As Cory notes both in his post today and the one last August, support is the real killer when it comes to offering unlimited anything (at least in terms of plugins, themes, etc., as opposed to hosting). By capping support at one year, iThemes is attempting to limit their exposure to support costs for any given customer. However, I suspect that if they were to track their support interactions by customer (and I hope they already do this), they’d see that most support requests occur early on in a customer’s lifecycle, with little to no support requests after someone has been a customer for over a year. Because of that, the one year cap on support probably wouldn’t matter for most customers.

On the other hand, there does exist the possibility of a “problem customer”, so to speak – someone who just can’t be satisfied, and is always coming back with another problem. This is where I think capping support at one year will pay off; it essentially functions as an insurance policy against those problem customers, while not negatively impacting “normal” customers.

377 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
pixelgrade says

Would this mean I can’t sell my support anymore? What next, paid customisations, so I can’t charge for customisations anymore?

This is another problem Envato have to deal with if they insist on their policy change. Many authors already offer paid support how can you deal with this.

Please guys give suggestions for this situation. If anyone interested in reading my suggestion, it’s in the previous page … http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/item-support-timeout-gathering-more-data/140559?page=21#1109070

We should just remove the term support from the equation, it’s too open for interpretation.

Make some kind of warranty mandatory (item has no bugs – bugs will be fixed, item works as advertised, item will be updated for x months). This will also remove a lot of frustration from authors, as with the term support, of course some people will think you will do a certain degree of customizations for them, or install WordPress for them and so on. Nobody will think of those things if you change the term support to the term warranty.

Then give authors the ability to sell support, customizations and so on on a voluntary basis with their own prices (in a given range – similar to the old elite author price adjustment tool), give us a forum for that and take your 30% off of that.

Agreed- “Zero bugs policy” kinda terms we used to describe the warranty we would given to our work/customization- it works nicely to give proper impression that “item has no bugs – bugs will be fixed, item works as advertised, item will be updated for x months”.

“Support” is a vague term- gives wrong message most of the time if not always.
+1 This sounds great.

-1 This is just as hazy as “support”. Come on, we are writing code, code is inherently bug prone, hence there will always be bugs. So to brag yourself with a Zero -Bug Policy is a big overstatement. Not to speak that most of the time bugs arise from the interaction of our themes with plugins and hosting environments. Where do we draw the line? Sometimes we do stupid things in our themes that break well coded plugins, and vice versa. Sometimes we take host settings too lax and we don’t watch our back enough; other times there are host environments that are simply configured bad.

Just my 2 cents.

34 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
Splendous says

Would this mean I can’t sell my support anymore? What next, paid customisations, so I can’t charge for customisations anymore?

This is another problem Envato have to deal with if they insist on their policy change. Many authors already offer paid support how can you deal with this.

Please guys give suggestions for this situation. If anyone interested in reading my suggestion, it’s in the previous page … http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/item-support-timeout-gathering-more-data/140559?page=21#1109070

We should just remove the term support from the equation, it’s too open for interpretation.

Make some kind of warranty mandatory (item has no bugs – bugs will be fixed, item works as advertised, item will be updated for x months). This will also remove a lot of frustration from authors, as with the term support, of course some people will think you will do a certain degree of customizations for them, or install WordPress for them and so on. Nobody will think of those things if you change the term support to the term warranty.

Then give authors the ability to sell support, customizations and so on on a voluntary basis with their own prices (in a given range – similar to the old elite author price adjustment tool), give us a forum for that and take your 30% off of that.

Agreed- “Zero bugs policy” kinda terms we used to describe the warranty we would given to our work/customization- it works nicely to give proper impression that “item has no bugs – bugs will be fixed, item works as advertised, item will be updated for x months”.

“Support” is a vague term- gives wrong message most of the time if not always.
+1 This sounds great.

-1 This is just as hazy as “support”. Come on, we are writing code, code is inherently bug prone, hence there will always be bugs. So to brag yourself with a Zero -Bug Policy is a big overstatement. Not to speak that most of the time bugs arise from the interaction of our themes with plugins and hosting environments. Where do we draw the line? Sometimes we do stupid things in our themes that break well coded plugins, and vice versa. Sometimes we take host settings too lax and we don’t watch our back enough; other times there are host environments that are simply configured bad.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks pixelgrade- you’re right “code is inherently bug prone” and even if there is no bugs today, tomorrow a new update from WordPress might break a thing. Guess “Zero bugs policy” is to ensure if a bug found it’ll be fixed. Conflicting with other plug-ins/hosting environments may not be a bug of our Theme/Plugin but yes, sometime buyers put the blame so it take extra effort/time to find out what is what. Thankfully it’s still a better indication what kind of “warranty” includes instead of saying “Support” and then list a tons of terms/condition to justify what is what.

I’ve been providing such warranty with my work since a long time- and it ease things a lot, so far!

6026 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

TL;DR : Any kind of promise is a false advertisement. The concept of replicating “Successful authors” is another false advertisement / motivation

Advertising with Zero-Bug concept would be equally misleading as Mandatory-Support policy. Both can become misleading advertisements.

The problem right now is not with authors or buyers. They give / expect what they are able to / unable to.

For the last 4-5 years, Envato is indirectly benefiting the voluntary supportive nature of authors. Even without mandatory policy, it is the authors who supported for following reasons (I guess):

1. As a help towards buyers – with the understanding of inconsistent nature of code based products.

2. Gives competitive value / advantage.

3. Avoid bitter feedback from buyers – regardless limited knowledge of buyers

So by making the support mandatory, the Reason #1 mentioned above will vanish over time. Point #3 will dominate. “Quality of support” will reduce and point #2 will lose its meaning within single year. Buyers will see inconsistency in support more than ever. Envato will advertise the ecosystem as efficient as “6 months support + 72 hours response time”.

Collis’s quote on the main blog post:
Last but not least, top authors indicate providing support is one of the main drivers of their success on ThemeForest. We want all of our authors to be successful and we feel this is an important step towards achieving that.

The scaring truth is, Envato benefited from voluntary efforts of successful authors who setup their own support channels to make it efficient (Envato missed to improve this area and just focused on irrelevant new ventures like PhotoDune and Microlancer). Still now the Comments section is a pain for the authors as they have to answer buyers in 2 channels simultaneously – if they have to be successful and efficient. Both buyers and authors are facing difficulties here – it is a long unsolved painful story.

Now, instead of improving the system and give back the authors / buyers / industry, Envato wants to replicate same efforts put by the so called successful authors. From my observation, the successful authors are the ones who went far beyond Envato’s ecosystem and its limits and that’s why succeeded. But now Envato wants every authors to do the same level of efforts – while knowing it is impossible to achieve top 10 by 100s of people – due to competitive nature of market. Where is the equation?

217 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
visualkicks says

You know, one of my favourite motivational and success coaches is Brian Tracey, it was Brian that got me to power elite level and changed the way I view my work / life. Honestly without him I would of given up on this whole thing a long time ago.

I was just on a news site and an advert for tracy’s new book came up. The advert said this.

“Your greatest asset is your earning ability, your greatest resource is your time” – Brian Tracy.

I’m fully prepared to move away from themeforest should my time be made into a commodity that I have no power over controlling. I don’t know if this thread is still being followed by staff but I do hope they see this. Someone wants me for an hour? $100 dollars please. This is a micro stock website and needs to remain a micro stock website.

2 posts
  • Located in United States
DeanoX says

As mostly a buyer, all I take away from everything I have read so far, is, I am losing some support time, for any product I may purchase.

And when I say support, I mean, quality of workmanship, defects, manuals and instructions, and fixing such.

So prices go up, support periods are less, and to get added support, your pay MORE now?

So what do I get out of this then?

Are the programs and themes I purchase going to be of better quality and workmanship from the start?

Are programmers and themer’s going to be vetted for skill, and reputation?

Will there be better details about WHO, I am dealing with when purchasing a item? I don’t care about the badges, I want to see qualifications, certifications, portfolios, and personal or company background information, and also, where a seller or company is LOCATED, country of origin.

Will there be a better rating system?

Will support become standardized? Right now it is a circus, everyone has something different.

When I buy a program or a theme, I want it to perform as advertised. I don’t want first release, beta or alpha software, that takes 10 revisions or updates, and a year plus, to become production ready.

So far, everything is sounding to be in a very, very, grey area of business.

There is lots of discussion and ranting going on here, about all this. Interesting.

24 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
+3 more
Makis77 says

@DeanoX, this is a very interesting post BUT out of topic :)

I know that here you will likely get more exposure and to be honest I agree in most of your concerns but please open your own topic and post your questions in there.

2181 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
urbazon says

This is a micro stock website and needs to remain a micro stock website.

This.

1 post
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
kodeforest says

I personally believe most of authors happily giving support to its buyers, mostly buyers point out the actual bugs in product that helped author to make it better and more reliable.

I have a question related to this new change, if support period is 6 month, is this support period start from the day of product released or the day buyer purchase that product? confusing!!!

If this time will start from the day of product released then i personally believe you are asking for so many errors to be part of package as long as it shelf. Mostly products and framework gets better as by buyers or users feedback so its very important for a author to hear more and more from users regarding product.

Making support premium i think it somehow benefits to the author but will decrease the feedback from user.

I suggest instead of making center point for buyer and for the authors, envato should remove the product which are under rated. I mean review rating also made review vote-able to a level where it lead product to be removed permanently from themeforest.

Note: Its different than reporting a product or copy rights.

167 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
themac says

Hi,

I’ve read previous super long thread fairly full and this thread partly, maybe my issues are already mentioned

In my portfolio there are some lower priced items where I get between $3,95 and $4,95

that’s okay, and I’m supporting these items though, but sometimes I think “please take your money and don’t ask again” ;) – but solved any issues, even if it costs some time

codecanyon’s PHP items are depending on so many things and every server and case of usage is different and if these really low priced items have to be supported by rule … I think this isn’t worth and that fair

Outside the marketplace customers will get just three minutes for those $4,95 from me (while I’m charging with every beginning 30 minutes)

don’t get me wrong, I’m happy to spend time in my items, but in my case (for example) the invested time won’t be compensated when I’m comparing to my usual hourly rates – but that’s okay

and I’m happy to improve, extend and bug fixing my items too – and if there’re questions I’m happy to answer
when support is part of the price and prominent announced I think there’re would be much mor questions ..

so if the support ist mandatory for 6 month AND with the same item price I’m not that amused

that’s my 2 cents
thx for reading my confusedness :)
mac

by
by
by
by
by
by