812 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
iamthwee says

OK I just realised that one of the items I purchased has been removed.

Normally, I back everything up but recently got a bad virus so I had to delete all my files to be sure I was clean.

So I go to my download page expecting to be able to download the file but has since found out it has been removed.

The support ticket says this is possible and refers me to a wiki article. Which is all fine.

Thing is though isn’t the file our intellectual property once we purchase it. Shouldn’t the file remain always available for download.

I can’t contact the author because he seems to have taken everything offsite.

I managed to find a work around, but found this quite inconvenient.

1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+10 more
JamiGibbs says

Sorry to hear that, iamthwee.

Unfortuntaely, the download page is only offered as a convenience and if the file has been removed from the marketplace, there is no way to continue downloading it. That’s why it’s highly encouraged to download the file immediately and make backups on your own drive. It’s a shame that you don’t have a backup of the file but that is the policy.

Please note that if an item is removed from sale by the author or the marketplaces, it will no longer be available for repeat download. Buyers are strongly encouraged to download every file purchased immediately, and keep a back-up. The downloads page is offered as an additional convenience, but we unfortunately cannot guarantee that items will remain on the downloads page after initial purchase.
http://wiki.envato.com/buying/support-buying/downloading-previously-purchased-files/ http://wiki.envato.com/category/buying/support-buying/
382 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
MelforDMThemes says
iamthwee said

Thing is though isn’t the file our intellectual property once we purchase it.

If I understand it right this is meant to be a question? Punctuation often helps. How can something be your intellectual (!!) property just because you paid for it?

I will never understand how somebody purchases a theme and does not download it to safely store it for later usage.

812 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
iamthwee says
MelforDMThemes said
iamthwee said

If I understand it right this is meant to be a question? Punctuation often helps. How can something be your intellectual (!!) property just because you paid for it? I will never understand how somebody purchases a theme and does not download it to safely store it for later usage.

Hi Mel,

In reply to your statements, maybe intellectual property is the wrong word, but at least I was expecting to download it again and use it with the same copyright terms as I did when I originally purchased it.

In regards to your second comment. I absolutely back up all my files! It’s just the storage device I owned seem to be the source of my virus, so I formatted it to be safe expecting to re-download a clean file from here (themeforest.) But was surprised to find it had been removed.

Luckily, I found a work around. I understand that is the terms and conditions, I just thought at least I should be able to download the file again. I assume the file is stored somewhere in the TF database, so I thought this was possible.

Thanks for your reply Jamie.

1734 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
VisualSharing says
iamthwee said

I would give you this comparison:

If you go and buy a Mac, would you have intellectual property over it? That would mean you can then create your own Mac and sell it.

You most likely own the derivative of an intellectual property.
Seeing that you’re from the UK, here is a simple explanation: http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types.htm :)

382 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
MelforDMThemes says
iamthwee said
MelforDMThemes said
iamthwee said

If I understand it right this is meant to be a question? Punctuation often helps. How can something be your intellectual (!!) property just because you paid for it? I will never understand how somebody purchases a theme and does not download it to safely store it for later usage.

Hi Mel,

In reply to your statements, maybe intellectual property is the wrong word, but at least I was expecting to download it again and use it with the same copyright terms as I did when I originally purchased it.

In regards to your second comment. I absolutely back up all my files! It’s just the storage device I owned seem to be the source of my virus, so I formatted it to be safe expecting to re-download a clean file from here (themeforest.) But was surprised to find it had been removed.

Luckily, I found a work around. I understand that is the terms and conditions, I just thought at least I should be able to download the file again. I assume the file is stored somewhere in the TF database, so I thought this was possible.

Thanks for your reply Jamie.

I see! Thanks for making that clear :)

by
by
by
by
by
by