• Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+3 more
revaxarts says

I repeatedly get messages from buyers who don’t believe my plugin is “that cheap” and ask for the “limitations” or for periodically costs. If I tell them that this is the price they have to pay to use it (once) and they get even lifetime updates they ask me why I’m not selling it for much more? One guy said “I would have bought it even if it’s 10 time of its price”.

I probably didn’t had that many sales but why are many items (IMHO) so underpriced?

At 3DOcean I found some items which costs $ 100,- and more. I don’t think they are not worth the price but why is $ 60,- the highest on CC and $ 90,- on TF?

I don’t like ask for a price increase in general rather start a discussion why there are these diferences on the marketplaces

3433 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

3D Ocean files don’t have the same selling potential as other items from other marketplaces..

Later edit:

CodeCanyon files have low prices, because there are a lot of free alternatives out there.. 80% of the items from CC can be found free elsewhere, hence the low price. Of course, there are some really high quality files on CC which cannot be found anywhere else, free or with a cost. Those files would deserve higher pricing, but that would mean to break the pricing model in favor of some good authors.

ThemeForest is pretty good imho right now. There are still buyers who think it’s pretty high, since there are cheaper alternatives. Only cheaper, because you can’t get TF quality elsewhere(except one place)..

2024 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
revaxarts says

3D Ocean files don’t have the same selling potential as other items from other marketplaces..

and this justifies the price?

• Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
KrownThemes says

Yes. 500 people needed a good newsletter system and they bought yours. I’m not sure if 500 people will need a 3D model of a BMW..

• Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
KrownThemes says
2024 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
revaxarts says

Yes. 500 people needed a good newsletter system and they bought yours. I’m not sure if 500 people will need a 3D model of a BMW..

Yes possibly. But the prices in the ocean aren’t to high. Should be price calculated on spent work or the value it gave to the customers? I guess the latter.

2954 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+10 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

I reckon I would make less overall if my items were priced higher. This low overall marketplace price also severely limits marketplace competitors from starting up. This helps secure our future here as authors.

The items that generally sell less (eg: 3docean) should probably have a higher price than the items which generally sell more (eg: wordpress). The items which have many free/cheap alternatives (eg: css/javascript/stockimages) should probably be priced lower in order to attract those who generally look for freebies.

I do receive a couple of messages saying buyers would pay more (especially for that $60 CC one), but I receive many more messages from buyers who expect the world from the small amount they paid (these majority probably wouldn’t pay more than they did, due to availability of similar items elsewhere).

Just my 2c!

• adjusted title
2024 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
revaxarts says

Didn’t you see this thread? http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/price-increase-a-few-months-later/78100 :D
Yes and I don’t like to start a new one about price increase. Just like to know the difference between the ocean and the forest (or canyon).

Maybe the advanced search on 3DOcean justifies the price :D

2024 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
revaxarts says

I reckon I would make less overall if my items were priced higher. This low overall marketplace price also severely limits marketplace competitors from starting up. This helps secure our future here as authors.

The items that generally sell less (eg: 3docean) should probably have a higher price than the items which generally sell more (eg: wordpress). The items which have many free/cheap alternatives (eg: css/javascript/stockimages) should probably be priced lower in order to attract those who generally look for freebies.

I do receive a couple of messages saying buyers would pay more (especially for that $60 CC one), but I receive many more messages from buyers who expect the world from the small amount they paid (these majority probably wouldn’t pay more than they did, due to availability of similar items elsewhere).

Just my 2c!

Good argument Dave!

I don’t like to see another price increase on the marketplace too. I guess the niche of 3D market is the reason for it’s price. Less competitor => higher prices. Makes sense and answers my question :)

• Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
KrownThemes says

I guess the niche of 3D market is the reason for it’s price. Less competitor => higher prices. Makes sense and answers my question :)

I’ve also said this about CC :)

by
by
by
by
by
by