• Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

Am I wrong thinking that those template clubs are burying TF with prices like: $50 3months membership and you can download all templates in their portfolio + 3 for your membership time?

You’re wrong.. I haven’t seen a single “club” with at least 50% of the quality this marketplace has..

But let’s not go off topic :)

2493 posts Community Officer
  • Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
+15 more
contrastblack Staff says

@all

I don’t think items on 3Docean are to high! They are low as well. I know what it takes to make a good model (the reason I don’t do it) and I’m happy to buy one if I’m in need.

I just like to compare the price on the marketptlaces

• CC: 8 month work / (obviously) lot of value for buyers / $ 25,-
  • 3D: x month work / (obviously) lot of value for buyers / $ 100,-

@Themico exactly what I ment

There are a bunch of simple and small plugins which takes about a week or two to develop and are priced from 8 to 10 dollars. I’ve spent 8 month to develop mine.

But again, I don’t complain about the price of $25 – it’s ok. That just means more sales and more happy buyers.

I just didn’t get the difference between each marketplace which is supply and demand

@3alisha

The elite badge is for the hard work I put into my items. Unfortunately there’S no advanage haveing it (except the chocolate)

Well, simply put, you don’t compare the price of oranges to that of apples either. Your target should have been directed at other CC items which is perfectly understandable, i.e: 8 month development vs 1-2 week development both selling for 25$.

Market value and development time are far too subjective to be compared between two absolutely different target markets, with totally opposing skillsets and requirements in terms of content creation. That’s the reasoning behind my personal rant.

I wasn’t knocking on the quality of any items on CC be it yours or any other authors, nor was I stating that I find it fair to have a product that took 8 months of work to be sold for 25$, but then again that is part of what we signed up for. Stock content is and always was cheap. If you create a product that you KNOW would sell for whatever other price, there are better approaches to selling it, including doing so on your own website, as a “final product” with all the responsibility and advantages that come with it (i.e: support vs legal responsibility, higher price vs nobody else to blame for sales and implementation or lack thereof).

Personal opinion, based on my target market : if I build a whole damn house with close-up capable detail in every corner, be sure as hell I won’t be selling it even as a “150$ pack” over at 3DOcean, but would rather market it myself as an architectural pack, or more than one, each selling for 200+. In your case, DAMN do I envy your coding knowledge and capacity… so you can imagine my perception of how I would do things in your shoes.

612 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Typps says

Should be price calculated on spent work or the value it gave to the customers? I guess the latter.
So… basically you’re right, but then again tell me how would that in ANY way motivate ANYONE to actually build a 3D model?

+1000

Recently we submitted the wp watermark plugin on CC, that take us 6 months to develop! It has everything people asked, million of features that was very hard to implement and nobody offers them on CC or in the wordpress.org plugins directory. So we asked for a higher price compared to the other such items on CC… And you know what – they set the same 20$ as for every other plugins, which are waaaay less powerfull.

So, what is the point to work on CC? No point. This place will turn in the dump of small files like CSS buttons and other snippets for 5$. There is nothing to do there with serious product, if it is not another slider.

Think of it this way, at the current reduced price(which is quite low), the number of people involved in buying your product is higher, which makes this more satisfying for you as an author.

The current model here at envato encourages us to put our creations in the hands of more people, the more people buy, the more you make. If it were priced higher, less people can afford it, less people engaging with your product reduces the probability of improvements you can add to it, as only a handful will report issues or discover them.

This also means the quality of your product degrades, which is a loss for your clients in a marketplace where updates are free. Reduced quality affects the entire marketplace and sales in general.

It is in the interest of all for success not to be measured in dollars, but rather by the quality of the app created. If you think you build a great app then let the market decide that by buying as the current marketplace model is based on volume sales and not on single highly priced items.

5753 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

The current model here at envato encourages us to put our creations in the hands of more people, the more people buy, the more you make. If it were priced higher, less people can afford it, less people engaging with your product reduces the probability of improvements you can add to it, as only a handful will report issues or discover them.

Sounds good but not done that way. To give a product to more hands, it requires efficient search system and ofcourse affordable price. Envato isn’t living by connecting right product to needy buyer. It works for making them more impulse buys along with a few they really intended to buy.

Secondly in many cases, sales numbers directly translates into amount of support requests. Impulse buyers more often comes with out-of-scope requests. Both reasons requires little price increment to balance things.

And lifetime of items: With low pricing, your product should have very good sales life time to give profit. If an item can give some profit only after 2-3 years of collective sales – we can call it as a gamble. Or something going to sell only for next 6-12 months (due to trends), it supposed to have reasonable price.

168 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Venezuela
Ediartss says

@all

I don’t think items on 3Docean are to high! They are low as well. I know what it takes to make a good model (the reason I don’t do it) and I’m happy to buy one if I’m in need.

I just like to compare the price on the marketptlaces

• CC: 8 month work / (obviously) lot of value for buyers / $ 25,-
  • 3D: x month work / (obviously) lot of value for buyers / $ 100,-

@Themico exactly what I ment

There are a bunch of simple and small plugins which takes about a week or two to develop and are priced from 8 to 10 dollars. I’ve spent 8 month to develop mine.

But again, I don’t complain about the price of $25 – it’s ok. That just means more sales and more happy buyers.

I just didn’t get the difference between each marketplace which is supply and demand

@3alisha

The elite badge is for the hard work I put into my items. Unfortunately there’S no advanage haveing it (except the chocolate)

Well, simply put, you don’t compare the price of oranges to that of apples either. Your target should have been directed at other CC items which is perfectly understandable, i.e: 8 month development vs 1-2 week development both selling for 25$.

Market value and development time are far too subjective to be compared between two absolutely different target markets, with totally opposing skillsets and requirements in terms of content creation. That’s the reasoning behind my personal rant.

I wasn’t knocking on the quality of any items on CC be it yours or any other authors, nor was I stating that I find it fair to have a product that took 8 months of work to be sold for 25$, but then again that is part of what we signed up for. Stock content is and always was cheap. If you create a product that you KNOW would sell for whatever other price, there are better approaches to selling it, including doing so on your own website, as a “final product” with all the responsibility and advantages that come with it (i.e: support vs legal responsibility, higher price vs nobody else to blame for sales and implementation or lack thereof).

Personal opinion, based on my target market : if I build a whole damn house with close-up capable detail in every corner, be sure as hell I won’t be selling it even as a “150$ pack” over at 3DOcean, but would rather market it myself as an architectural pack, or more than one, each selling for 200+. In your case, DAMN do I envy your coding knowledge and capacity… so you can imagine my perception of how I would do things in your shoes.

+999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

612 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Typps says

Sounds good but not done that way. To give a product to more hands, it requires efficient search system and ofcourse affordable price. Envato isn’t living by connecting right product to needy buyer. It works for making them more impulse buys along with a few they really intended to buy.

Secondly in many cases, sales numbers directly translates into amount of support requests. Impulse buyers more often comes with out-of-scope requests. Both reasons requires little price increment to balance things.
Whether a buyer has purchased impulsively or out of need doesn’t change the fact that they are a paying client. We got a sale which is nice. Sure an impulsive buyer leads to more support hassles but if this is what one needs to do to stay in business then so be it. Sadly there is no free lunch here. Perhaps a price increment can be justified in some cases, I don’t know.

And lifetime of items: With low pricing, your product should have very good sales life time to give profit. If an item can give some profit only after 2-3 years of collective sales – we can call it as a gamble. Or something going to sell only for next 6-12 months (due to trends), it supposed to have reasonable price.

I like what you brought up. It’s an interesting perspective but I’m not sure that the formula where a price increment is suggested will solve the problem. Perhaps this is already taken into consideration when items are priced in the marketplace as the prices of items varies greatly and I’ve seen items priced as low as $4 and some at $50 (codecanyon).

If I look at your sales alone, it appears you’ve been doing quite well for yourself here, which makes me think the current model works, not for all obviously but I like to think that if one tried hard enough, they will windup being successful.

1315 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
fuelthemes says

@revaxart That’s one impressive plugin. I ‘ll definitely buy it

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

CodeCanyon files have low prices, because there are a lot of free alternatives out there.. 80% of the items from CC can be found free elsewhere, hence the low price.

Thinking outside the box, who exactly is the average buyer? Are they

A – developers like us who are aware of all the options out there?

Or are they

B – mostly webmasters who aren’t really “connected” to our world?

When you deal with with enough support, its easier to figure out that the answer is B.

Historically ActiveDen has sold the same stuff for double the price. So why are we selling the same same products to the same people for half the price?

My Christmas wish list 8-)

1) Across the board increases for all items.

2) Increase the extended license to at least 10x the price for all categories.

3) Multi-use license. Point of sale up-selling is the easiest way to increase revenue.

669 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+1 more
LCweb says

Unfortunately I’ve no time to write a long answer, so I’ll try to resume.

IMHO not all the items have the right price. For example I’ve seen amazing javascript plugins sold at 8$..!
Another example are add-ons. Most of them are small, but others add a lot of new features and sold them at 4 or 5$ is quite absurd..

Finally, and it has already been discussed a lot in the past, is the extended licence.
I use it because I think is fair to give theme developers a way to use my works, but is too cheap!

2177 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Won a Competition
+10 more
mpc Volunteer moderator says

Hi, I totally agree I think that most of the items are totally underpriced on CC. I have asked for price increase on my FB three times and each time I got +2$... after all those price increases the product sales much better then before. I think it could cost $25 and still it would get the same amount of sales.

by
by
by
by
by
by