353 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
MonikaM says

Absolutely! Copyright and Intellectual property is something we take extremely seriously.

I am so sorry, but from my side it does not look that way. If you would take this things seriously, you would ban all those people that submit stolen items and ideas? Instead you keep their accounts alive and even let them upload new stuff.

At the same time, It’s important to remember that we can’t police the internet. Excluding PhotoDune, there are over half a million (nearly 600k) items for sale on our Marketplaces, so it’s very difficult to keep on top of what has already been approved and check it against new submissions.

That is understandable, but if I can spot all those stolen items, how come people that have direct interaction with those files can’t see it? I don’t know, but it might be the wrong system then and reviewing should be changed to be more effective.

This is why we rely on users such as yourself, authors and the community to bring copyright and IP issues to our attention. They’re the highest priority Support Ticket we receive and are usually, if not always, followed up within 24 hours. :grin:

With all due respect, don’t you have enough unanswered support tickets already? Also, authors that are worth to keep on this marketplaces, those who actually follow the IP seriously, are working hard on their own items, on their own ideas, and do not have time to monitor this community, let alone write all the tickets that mostly gets an answer in line ”...send DMCA.” which is not always legit – it only applies to the “copied to the bones” files.

Anyway, all I would like from Envato is to make some actions, so that we all see that you truly take copyright and IP seriously. For start that would be to ban people who are constantly (repeatedly) copying other authors, gangs (not hard to spot!), those who buys their own items (or gangs for each other) and give themselves 5 stars on new items, and so on… It is really not hard to spot those things, especially if you have all the behind the scene data available.

As you can see I am not active on my account anymore, but I am very active on some other accounts, collaborating with other authors, and a lot of my work has been stolen. Slowly it’s getting too painful and we are having enough.

271 posts Envato Market Support
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+7 more
MhW Envato team says

Anyway, all I would like from Envato is to make some actions, so that we all see that you truly take copyright and IP seriously. For start that would be to ban people who are constantly (repeatedly) copying other authors, gangs (not hard to spot!)

Completely agree, Monika. There are a number of sanctions we take against authors that infringe copyright, whether it’s copying items from ThemeForest, GraphicRiver or anywhere else on the internet. Firstly, any accumulated earnings are frozen from the account so that there’s no financial gain. This includes cancelling any withdrawals the author might already have processing. For repeat (more than 1) offences we look at taking more serious measures such as permanent account disablement, including preventing the same Author from creating any new accounts.

a lot of my work has been stolen. Slowly it’s getting too painful and we are having enough.
I’m sorry to hear that :( . As a company, we’re obliged to (and want to) follow up on valid DMCA takedown notices. Our processes for handling copyright are tried, trusted and rigid. I’d also like to reassure you that we don’t make exceptions based on an Author’s status or sales count. If your copyright has been infringed and you let us know about it using the proper process, I can guarantee we’ll look after you.

, those who buys their own items (or gangs for each other) and give themselves 5 stars on new items, and so on…

This of course is one way to gain an unfair advantage over other Authors and that’s not acceptable.

We do have processes in place to follow up on self-purchases, although as with the copyright complaints, we have over 600,000 items for sale on the Marketplaces (excluding PhotoDune) and we can’t be everywhere at once.

Opening a Support Ticket and letting us know about these issues takes the best part of ~1 minute, and doing so guarantees we will look into your complaint. On the other hand, whilst we do make a proactive effort to detect copyright at the upload stage, simply hoping that we stumble across copyright infringement and self-ratings is likely to leave you frustrated and disappointed.

Help us to help you :grin:

Christian

353 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
MonikaM says

Thank you for your reply, Christian.

What can I say… I completely understand what you’re saying – in fact all is right and taken care of. I just need to help you to be helped. Right? Let us see how that goes…

177 posts
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+5 more
EasyDevelopment says

Thank you for your reply, Christian. What can I say… I completely understand what you’re saying – in fact all is right and taken care of. I just need to help you to be helped. Right? Let us see how that goes…

Usually you have to ask for help in order to receive that :)

by
by
by
by
by
by