• Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • United Kingdom
AlumoAudio says

Up until June this year, I’d been working as a full-time freelance graphic designer for many years, but recently decided to give it a shot and follow my true passion, music – selling my music across the internet (via AJ and a few others).

Seems to be working out well so far as I’m able to sustain a living from it, but I’m still apprehensive to use this term ‘pro’, as I feel I’m definitely still learning and it always conjures up images in my mind of dudes hanging out in big, luxurious recording studios playing with kit that costs more than a house!

242 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
DanHoodMusic says

I am not a full-time composer yet, but I have been free-lancing for 5 years… I have written cues for TV shows, commercials, audio post, etc. AJ is a great avenue to stay “in practice” between jobs and learn more about recording, composition, and mixing.

I am a full-time musician though, and divide my time between lessons, gigs, and a part-time Church music director job. Around here we call it “the hustle”... Always busy, and happy to be playing music!

341 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
illuminations says

Great responses so far. In terms of categorizing what a professional composer/producer would be I think anybody who is able to make a full time living recording and producing music would be considered a professional. In terms of your success and experience I don’t think you necessarily need to compare yourself to the big names in the industry as whether or not you are a pro or not.

A few thoughts to some of you:

Jhunger: I’d give yourself a little more credit that “somewhere between hobbyist and semi-pro” :D . You are only the 12th ranked audiojungle author! Not bad IMO .

MartijndeBont: Keep doing what your doing and I’m sure you will get there. I have been following your stuff since I started AudioJungle earlier this year and have always thought you were one of the best orchestral mockup guys here. Best of luck to you.

AlumoAudio: Glad you switched over to music. You have great stuff and I am a fan.

376 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
BigBouncyBright says

I consider myself as semi-pro, however I devote much time to music creation and work under three different music projects. But I still can’t live on the money I earn from music :)

889 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United States
jhunger says

Jhunger: I’d give yourself a little more credit that “somewhere between hobbyist and semi-pro” :D . You are only the 12th ranked audiojungle author! Not bad IMO .

Hey, thanks, illuminations! I won’t deny AudioJungle has been very good to me and I couldn’t be more thrilled (and thankful!) so far. Mainly what I meant is that I have only just (in the last few years) really gone past dabbling with recording and composing with a marketplace in mind. Because of stock sales I’ve been able to accumulate some decent equipment, but I’m still very green at actually being able to use said equipment to the best possible effect, obviously software but even down to choosing correct mics, placement, acoustics, etc., I’m still learning basically by trial and error. I know some musicians but very few people “in the business,” and the lion’s share of my work hours are at my day job, so I don’t have mentors and colleagues who are musicians and producers to work with on a daily basis.

I think there are a lot of people here in the same situation as me, with a passion for music but as a side note to an unrelated profession. On the other hand many authors on AudioJungle are in some way producing music for a living, hitting the streets and connecting with talented and accomplished people, learning their equipment back and forth, working day in and day out with other musicians and producers, etc., and also making some very stunning tracks. That’s what I consider is the difference between pro and hobbyist, AJ sales nonwithstanding.

360 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
musicguy says

I make music since 1996. I did soundtrack for handful of PC games and now I am more into library music. Music is my job and I live from it so I would say I am a pro.

AJ is pleasant surplus income considering aside few logos – all tracks I have uploaded are old and not too good for todays standards and still – they made 700 dollars in one year.

1528 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United Kingdom
SoundFix says

I’m a full-time undergraduate student going on to study a Masters degree in Music Production next year. After this time, I will work my way in to becoming a professional full-time composer for media (hopefully I’ll be able to produce awesome mixes of my work by then). So for now I’d say I’m an amateur, who really badly wants to be a pro when the time is right :) I don’t want to say I’m a semi-pro, but I’m definitely not just a hobbyist, I guess I’m somewhere in-between.

491 posts Epic Trailer Music
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+1 more
MartijndeBont says

MartijndeBont: Keep doing what your doing and I’m sure you will get there. I have been following your stuff since I started AudioJungle earlier this year and have always thought you were one of the best orchestral mockup guys here. Best of luck to you.

Thanks mate! :)

788 posts
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • United Kingdom
AlumoAudio says

AlumoAudio: Glad you switched over to music. You have great stuff and I am a fan.

Thanks so much dude! Really appreciated. Funnily enough, just realised I’ve had a track in my upload queue for the last few days called ‘Illuminations’. I must have sub-consciously absorbed your profile name! :)

202 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
reubenchng says

I work in the music industry full time running a studio and working in projects that involves artists and also commercial works like documentary and films. But I wouldn’t call myself a pro though. I can never find that ‘pro’ word coming to me, there’s always so much to learn. So many talented people around! Look at yourselves! :)

by
by
by
by
by
by