Just bought adobe CS3 - Only took 8 hours to figure out how to use a button to link to a site

406 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
ryanterry says

Good to know about the import stuff. I’ve never really understood why people like to do their actionscript in a seperate .as file. I like to keep it all in one file. Less flippin’ around to different windows and junk.

3072 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
wickedpixel says
.as ar used for classes… For example i use a class for loading external files… all i need to do is:
import GetFile;

var Loader:GetFile = new GetFile();
Loader.url = "image.jpg";
Loader.actions = {onComplete:showFile, onError:showError, onProgress:showPreloader};
Loader.Go();

function showFile(file){
//shop pic
}
function showError(error){
//show error
}
function showpreloader(error){
//show preloader
}

isn’t that cool? ...i can use this thing to load 5 trilion files :D

691 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
+2 more
geoken says

I like use different text editors because i don’t like the Flash IDE ’s code editing abilities as much as Flexbuilder’s. The 2 most valuable things in Flex are the functions list and the classes list.

In Flash I need to use extraneous commented ASCII art to seperate areas of my AS code because there is no method to quickly jump to a function, I need to scroll through a massive text file.

In Flex, I have a list of my functions right beside me. If I test my movie and think I need to shorten a tween I just click on the function in my functions list and the code editor jumps straight to that function. In Flash I would have to scroll up and down through hundreds of lines looking for a tiny 2 line function.

Also, Flex has better syntax highliting options than Flash. It also gives you more control over the syntax highliting and code completion. It also has better auto formatting.

691 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
+2 more
geoken says

I think what I’m having the biggest trouble grasping about CS3 , having no actionscript coding experience – bought Koolmoves, which does everything for you – totall GUI interface.

Is the concept of… for example a site template and using the menu system.

You launch the site – you’re at “home”, click on say “clients” and (visually) it looks like you’re taken to a different page, the “home” stuff disappears, and this new stuff loads.

Now if this was Koolmoves, you’re physically going to another “frame” and the stuff is already there.

Every site design template I’ve looked at from flashden, looks like it’s all done on 1 frame. The whole movie is one frame, the most complicated of stuff.

You issue isn’t with Flash, but with the way people code pages. You could just as easily make a site in Flash CS3 that’s all sitting on the timeline and every button is a basic gotoAndStop.

The reason people don’t do this is because it’s useless to people who don’t have Flash (aka. the vast majority of your clients). If our clients had flash and were able to edit timeline based animations, change the content of static textfields and drag pics on to the stage they more than likely wouldn’t need us.

Dynamic content is virtually a must have for any client I’ve ever had. Telling a client “To update your ‘about us’ page you just need to buy flash, open the .fla, go to frame 32, click on the text tool, then click on the textfield and edit it, then publish your movie and re-upload it to your site” is pretty much the same as telling them I don’t want their business.

Also, if you want a full Browser flash page (which is pretty much the standard now) you need to dynamically position your content. Timeline tweens are useless if your dynamically sizing your stage.

by
by
by
by
by
by