3192 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
organicbee says

wordpress.com is owned by a company called Automattic, which is ran by the WordPress software they do not allow people to upload their own custom/premium themes

wordpress.org is the home of the WordPress software which is an open-source platform which allows you to install it on your own host and you have 100% control what themes/plugins you have they both run on the same software so the admin etc will look the same pretty much

7 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
AdibM says

EDIT: Wait a second, so how did this guy upload the Daisho theme to WordPress? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvf2dcPfiHM
That’s a self-hosted installation of WordPress. Contact Support and explain your situation.

Just did. Thanks. I doubt it will do any good, though—not like they’d give me a refund or anything.

8 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
Flow says

WordPress.com hosting unfortunately doesn’t allow custom themes (we mention that in the “Installation” section of the documentation as well). You need your own server. Every single WP website requires at least the following:

1) A server
2) WordPress 3.5.1
3) Some theme

A server – can be Bluehost, GoDaddy, Dreamhost, Laughing Squid, localhost (WAMP/MAMP) or anything else. See: http://wordpress.org/hosting/. If you’re looking for a cheap hosting solution then you can find some that cost just $3/mo, $5/mo or $7/mo. We use $10/mo hosting and it’s more than enough even for multiple websites.

All WP-based websites require a stand-alone server so I understand that this might be surprising and you didn’t expect that WordPress.com hosting won’t work with custom themes. They simply don’t have installation option…

Nonetheless, I encourage you to keep in touch with us and we’ll answer all your questions. If you’re new to WordPress then you’ll need to spend some time on getting to know everything but Themeforest, WordPress forum (and other dev forums) have excellent and friendly communities that are willing to help :) This thread is a good example!

7 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
AdibM says

WordPress.com hosting unfortunately doesn’t allow custom themes (we mention that in the “Installation” section of the documentation as well). You need your own server.

I appreciate your helpfulness, but frankly, mentioning something like that in passing in documentation isn’t good enough for the average user like me. When Themeforest promotes the materials as “Wordpress” (not wordpress.org) content, they are misleading customers like me because I’m acting under the impression that “Wordpress” is an all-inclusive word that means these themes will work on ANY system owned by Wordpress. However, this is obviously not the case. When people get to the ORDER page, that is the most appropriate time for Themeforest to state that I am about to purchase something that will work on Wordpress.org but NOT on Wordpress.com.

I just wanted a hassle-free web environment, not to set up my own server from scratch with off-site hosting. So it seems like, in that case, Wordpress.com is what I’m looking for, especially since their $18/yr .com hosting solution is extremely affordable for me. But now I can’t avail myself of any of those things with this Daisho template I purchased. So really, if I can’t use this on Wordpress.COM, then I’d like my money back.

5179 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Support Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
+8 more
KingDog Staff says

To be honest, isn’t the warning something WordPress.com is responsible for? The limitations they set on what they allow or don’t is completley their own. We can’t force them to allow custom WordPress themes any more than we can force any other independent host.

by
by
by
by
by
by