• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
fuelthemes says

Don’t make it personal. It doesn’t matter if he tried it or not.

I strongly agree with the commission rates.

My suggestion is that there should be different rates for different categories.

For example, wordpress themes should give 50%, site templates 40%, psd files 30%.

This way, the hardest work will pay you more.

To make a quality theme, you have to do at least a weeks work. And selling it for $20 leaves you $7. Thats not fair.

238 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Poland
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
Mastergreed says

First of all – you’re creating a passive income here – set it and forget about it :). Sure I would prefer to get more % of each theme, but hey – if you want to get thousands of dollars for single theme, then forget about TF and start looking for normal customers, OK?

9 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
nickclarson says

jscheetz – I am not disagreeing with the system. You may have read this thread wrong. The reason I haven’t tried it yet is because I was curious about what others thought. Hence the motivation for me to create this thread.

turkhitbox – That actually makes a lot of sense. Definitely not fair, but I guess that’s just how their system works and one has to deal with it. The only thing that bothers me is knowing the money I make on here is only 25-30% of the total money made off of MY WORK . It’s kind of insulting really if you think about it that way.

Mastergreed – Please don’t insult our intelligence. I think we all understand what passive income is and how it works.

217 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
CreativeStable says

For example, wordpress themes should give 50%, site templates 40%, psd files 30%.

To make a quality theme, you have to do at least a weeks work. And selling it for $20 leaves you $7. Thats not fair.
I like this idea. Ive only submitted one theme, and a VERY basic one at that… Id like to submit some bigger drupal themes with all the bells and whistles… but I just can’t get myself motivated enough to do it when I know its only going to make $3.75 a sale and I’ve spent 3 weeks designing and developing the theme.
238 posts
  • Poland
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
Mastergreed says

Nick, I’m not insulting anyone’s intelligence, I’m sorry if you have felt this way. All I’m saying is that no one should be complaining about commissions, because everyone was aware of it when joining the site, and agreeing for Terms of Service.

Personally, I can’t complain – I doing themes when I want, not when I have to, and after transfering USD to PLN I have a pretty nice income :).

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+7 more
jremick Staff says
Don’t make it personal. It doesn’t matter if he tried it or not.

I strongly agree with the commission rates.

Uhh, sorry but I think that’s not a good idea. You’re saying that because a WordPress theme takes longer that you’re working harder and deserve a larger cut of the profits than site templates or psd templates? No.

Each category is priced differently ($10-15 templates, $20+ wordpress, etc.). The higher pricing is your larger cut for more time spent on the item (not to be confused with harder work, as it isn’t harder, it just requires more time).

If you aren’t happy with the price ThemeForest set your item at, contact them and request that they set it at the price you want.

1318 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
fuelthemes says

Now are you telling me %35 of 2 dollars is worth coding a site/blog template into a wordpress theme, designing the comments, making it compatible with widgets and so many other things?

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+7 more
jremick Staff says
Now are you telling me %35 of 2 dollars is worth coding a site/blog template into a wordpress theme, designing the comments, making it compatible with widgets and so many other things?

Are you telling me 35% of $12 is worth designing, coding and ensuring browser compatibility, etc. for an HTML Template? Absolutely not. Neither is 35% of $20 for your WordPress theme. BUT … 35% of $12×100 sales = $420 for a template. That’s worth it. 35% of $20×100 sales = $700 for a theme. That’s worth it.

Plus, you have to take into account you’ll be earning more per item for every $2000 of total revenue. Plus referrals. Plus the advertising you can put in your live preview themes/templates. Plus the freelance clients you get from here. Plus the exposure you and your potential brand gets. etc. etc. etc.

If you work hard, watch the supply and demand, but templates/themes people really want and are good at what you do… then there is a good chunk of money to be made via ThemeForest with PSDs, Templates or Themes. BUT not one category is worth a higher percentage cut than another.

5 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
Sirat says

I’m sorry, can we go back to the “kicking a tired duck” comment? A tired duck?

It’s all can think about. :)

by
by
by
by
by
by