• Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Serbia
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
rvision_ says

At least the guy was honest! I’d give him away 1 license for free :)

That’s impossible.

A guy from non-profit organization asked me a copy of my theme and I decided to give him, but since I am exclusive author I have to buy a theme from TF and than giveaway it.

And that doesn’t work. You can’t buy your own theme :)

140 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
weblusive says

That’s impossible.

A guy from non-profit organization asked me a copy of my theme and I decided to give him, but since I am exclusive author I have to buy a theme from TF and than giveaway it.

And that doesn’t work. You can’t buy your own theme :)

Well, actually you can, I guess we know how this works, you just send him a sample and 1 license wouldn’t change anything (Hope Envato staff doesn’t read this or I’m risking to become an outlaw or persona non-grata :D ).

542 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Blog Post
ThemesFever says

You can create a new Envato account and purchase the file :)

2024 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+3 more
revaxarts says

Hahaaahahaahaahahahahaah

+1

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

Just want to mention that the exclusive agreement you have with Envato is that you are agreeing to sell your item through their marketplaces and you are not giving any rights away to your items in anyway whatsoever – you created them, they are yours.

Authors are NOT giving any rights away to ownership of your work and if you give the odd copy of YOUR work now and again without any monetary transfer of any kind you are not technically breaking your exclusive agreement.

Now having said that – they have full discretion at anytime for any reason (reason is not needed to be given) to cancel your membership and if you just started to give copy after copy of your item away for free then you would no doubt risk this happening as it would hurt the exclusive agreement of selling the item to mutual benefit (both parties earning money) and therefore you are killing your own business.

Remember that if your item is found on free download sites YOU the author and copyright holder of the item is solely responsible for taking action against this website by sending a DMCA – not Envato.

The ONLY thing that could be taken as a caution in the legal terms you agree to is this:

notify us of any information which may affect or assist in sales of your Product(s);

Which is a very open ended statement and could mean many things – basically it means you shouldn’t do anything that may cause loss of sales for the item you have entered in to a partnership with Envato to sell – of course giving items away would do this – so with caution, and common sense if someone such as a charity contacts you and are looking for a donation of your theme but would not purchase any item anyway then you are not effected the sale of your item. Again it’s a bit of a sticky one, but in all honesty if this odd occurrence happens simply contacting support or the marketplace manager and explaining what you are wanting to do I think it wouldn’t be great PR for Envato to refuse this.

If I am incorrect in any way I look forward to hearing the details from Envato or one of it’s employees in a position to outline in more detail the terms and conditions which we agreed to. No one wants to be breaking the agreement and therefore if I am wrong maybe we need it clarifying in the terms about giving items we own away for free (not all the time obviously – just now and again)

Thanks everyone.

Jonathan

31 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
Brankic1979 says

Today’s question:

“Once I have purchased an HTML theme… ...how do I edit/customize it?”

4 posts
  • United Kingdom
davcomedia says

Slightly off topic, but when I was hiring for a new member of staff some years ago, I was asked at the interview…

“How many sick days am I allowed off each year?”

That was his ONLY question.

:)

by
by
by
by
by
by