962 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
EireStudio says
3256 posts
    Has referred 100+ members Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says

Well,

for some shortcodes i could agree… especially for those that just add specific css classes to tags… but in any case we intensively use complex shortcodes for content generation and so in any case, at the end, switching theme you will still have dead shortcodes in your pages/posts…

My 2c

1028 posts
    Has referred 500+ members Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
ThemeBlvd says

It’s a good thing Justin Tadlock doesn’t have to pay his mortgage by competing for sales on TF.

3007 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 200+ members Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
duotive says
I have to believe that anyone smart enough to use WordPress has the capacity to learn how to use the class attribute within an HTML element. It’s possible that I’m wrong, but I have a lot of faith in my fellow WordPress users.
– Wrong, easy click, click, click instructions are hard. I would prefer to use classes and to see the content in the visual editor too but would be harder for the customers and will get many more requests and we already do.
1028 posts
    Has referred 500+ members Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
ThemeBlvd says

I have to believe that anyone smart enough to use WordPress has the capacity to learn how to use the class attribute within an HTML element. It’s possible that I’m wrong, but I have a lot of faith in my fellow WordPress users.
– Wrong, easy click, click, click instructions are hard. I would prefer to use classes and to see the content in the visual editor too but would be harder for the customers and will get many more requests and we already do.

+1 … Ya I’d have to disagree also. So many buyers love these little shortcodes. I put a million shortcodes and still have people asking me why I don’t have this or that shortcode. Besides, it’s not like they’re required to use them. I agree with the post to an extent as a developer working with themes, but think it’s a little dramatic.

3007 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 200+ members Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
duotive says

It’s a good thing Justin Tadlock doesn’t have to pay his mortgage by competing for sales on TF.

=))) totally right =)))

13 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Located in Germany
chasedhero says

I have to agree with Justin, from a developers perspective the lock-in effect has a harming affect on the theme community. Simply selling your theme together with a shortcode plugin would be a better idea, so the user can enable/disable it how he sees fit. And every body gets the best of both worlds.

751 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 1+ members Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
CyberShot says

I think he has a valid point. but making them out of classes isn’t the way to go. I think a plugin would be a much better solution.

962 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
EireStudio says

I think he has a valid point. but making them out of classes isn’t the way to go. I think a plugin would be a much better solution.

Why not use classes? Seems logical to me…

751 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 1+ members Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
CyberShot says

because if you made a plugin, then you could create buttons to add to the editor and they would always be there. It would also make it easier to move those styles over to another directory. Could you imagine trying to tell a customer what to look for in a css file? Plugins are just easier to use.

by
by
by
by
by
by