438 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • United States
christopherjon says

I know the free version is for non-commercial use.

Now, my very shaky argument would be that I am developing a theme that supports JW Player and I have no idea if the buyers of that theme are going to use it for commercial or non-commercial purposes. I am only providing built in support if they choose to use it.

Am I trying too hard to find a loop hole or would this be acceptable? What if I own a commercial licence for the demo theme?

How would all of this license stuff apply if I’m only including the WP JW Player plugin with the theme?

It’s pretty much the only solution I can find that works as a flash player, embeds videos from numerous sites and is iphone friendly. Anybody know of another option?

548 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
tonvie says

I’d be interested in reading the replies to this one…as I’m getting ready to buy one of Ghostpool’s theme who uses jwplayer…but he’s offering it for commercial use so how’s that work?

397 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Monkify says

Would you actually be doing any modifications to the WP JW Player plugin? Otherwise you could just include a link to it in the documentation and you aren’t responsible at all. Although, as long as you get permission to include the WP JW Player plugin in your theme, it shouldn’t be a problem anyway.

Supporting the functionality of it is perfectly legal.

I don’t understand what you mean when you say it’s the only player that embeds videos from other sites.. It is its own player, how would you embed a Youtube video into another video player?

438 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
christopherjon says
Would you actually be doing any modifications to the WP JW Player plugin? Otherwise you could just include a link to it in the documentation and you aren’t responsible at all
not planning on doing any modifications but I would like to include the code into the theme, just a little thing to make it easier for the buyer so they don’t have to deal with unnecessary plugins.
It is its own player, how would you embed a Youtube video into another video player?

You can play youtube videos through JW Player which eliminates the need for users to deal with embed codes, just copy and past the url. Simplifies the whole video process if users only have to deal with a single player, add in some shortcode and it’s nearly dummy proof.

397 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Monkify says
You can play youtube videos through JW Player which eliminates the need for users to deal with embed codes, just copy and past the url. Simplifies the whole video process if users only have to deal with a single player, add in some shortcode and it’s nearly dummy proof.

That’s interesting, I never knew that. :)

by
by
by
by
by
by