548 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
tonvie says

I keep learning the hard way but that’s o.k.

1) Just because a theme has sold hundreds of copies doesn’t mean you won’t find it completely unusable within 15 minutes :) 2) Read, read, read. Read every comment on every page of the item description. May save you 35 bucks. 3) If you can wait til ver 1.x of your chosen theme, wait. Otherwise, you may turn into an unpaid beta-tester helping an author fix their theme.

Also DO NOT feel silly for asking (seemingly) stupid questions before buying like:

1) Can I use the visual editor SUCCESSFULLY with your theme? 2) Can my homepage look the way I want? 3) Do your shortcodes work nested, horizontal and vertical? 4) Have you completely stripped all formatting in your theme? 5) Can I accomplish a homepage just like your theme demo on my own? 6) Have you tested your own theme in I.E. instead of relying on reviewers and does it work?

Any other buyers like to add?

2045 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says

If a theme is “unusable”, that’s your own fault. A theme has to work to be sold, so by unusable, you mean not fit for your needs – which makes me wonder, why would you buy it in the first place? Just my 25 cents.

548 posts
tonvie says

If a theme is “unusable”, that’s your own fault. A theme has to work to be sold, so by unusable, you mean not fit for your needs – which makes me wonder, why would you buy it in the first place? Just my 25 cents.

Fine. Unsuitable a better word for you? I haven’t mentioned a specific theme or problem so how is it what my fault again? Just checking.

1734 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
VisualSharing says

Also DO NOT feel silly for asking (seemingly) stupid questions before buying like:

I don’t think any author would mind such questions, I love them myself. The stupider the question – the easier to answer.

Fine. Unsuitable a better word for you? I haven’t mentioned a specific theme or problem so how is it what my fault again? Just checking.

I think what landonw means is that it is your responsibility to look at the theme from all sides and make sure it suits your needs, no matter which theme.

P.S. Sorry for the triple posting, I’ve reported myself. lol

548 posts
tonvie says

absolutely! That’s why I’m wondering what Landonw means.

I’m basically saying, duh, it’s my fault…again obviously :)

I can’t rely that a reviewer has actually created a page with a given theme. Otherwise, some themes would never get published “as is”.

So I’ve learned, I, and other buyers need to ask some vital questions before purchase. I’m not laying blame on the authors.

1024 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+5 more
Parallelus says

I wish buyers would ask more pre-sales questions as well. A theme is going to have some features according to the developers taste and style. The way I setup my admin options is not going to be the same as another author. I’ve had very few disgruntled customers (< 1%), but most of them were upset because something didn’t do exactly what they wanted. If they had asked first I wouldn’t have a headache. :)

2541 posts
  • United States
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+4 more
CreatingDrew says

Moved to site feedback.

5390 posts
  • Australia
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

Why do you use the term AS IS

I find this wholly unacceptable, and intolerable as a title, or indeed implied within your thread.

Themes on here, code on Codecanyon etc.. are not sold on an as is basis.

AS IS , is a contractural type that infers you buy it and you are on your own.

Which isnt true.

Furthermore, prior to buying, on an AS IS basis, it is the buyers responsibility, to take all reasonable precautions and investigations prior to sale, as to the suitability of the item they are purchasing and to ensure it is fit for the purposes they intend.

So again another flaw of your argument.

Venting off is fine, but be careful, as stating “AS IS a buyers guide” is implicitly incorrect.

In fact as threads go, had I been moderating I would have allowed this thread to continue but with the title changed, it is contracturally wrong in the instance of Envato sales T&C

Authors on here are not legally bound to assist you with issues, after purchase, nor are they pre-purchase, but it is an intrinsic value of these marketplaces, and unspoken that good authors assist buyers , pre and post sale in an effort to accomodate everyones varying needs.

That said, your incompetency in buying the item that best suits your needs, is really your failing. No one elses, as all avenues are in place for you to make a constructive and opinioned decision, before you put your hand in your pocket.

Nuff Said

1141 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
KarmaThemes says

Why do you use the term AS IS

I find this wholly unacceptable, and intolerable as a title, or indeed implied within your thread.

Themes on here, code on Codecanyon etc.. are not sold on an as is basis.

AS IS , is a contractural type that infers you buy it and you are on your own.

Which isnt true.

Furthermore, prior to buying, on an AS IS basis, it is the buyers responsibility, to take all reasonable precautions and investigations prior to sale, as to the suitability of the item they are purchasing and to ensure it is fit for the purposes they intend.

So again another flaw of your argument.

Venting off is fine, but be careful, as stating “AS IS a buyers guide” is implicitly incorrect.

In fact as threads go, had I been moderating I would have allowed this thread to continue but with the title changed, it is contracturally wrong in the instance of Envato sales T&C

Authors on here are not legally bound to assist you with issues, after purchase, nor are they pre-purchase, but it is an intrinsic value of these marketplaces, and unspoken that good authors assist buyers , pre and post sale in an effort to accomodate everyones varying needs.

That said, your incompetency in buying the item that best suits your needs, is really your failing. No one elses, as all avenues are in place for you to make a constructive and opinioned decision, before you put your hand in your pocket.

Nuff Said

Nuff said – well said.

548 posts
tonvie says

Perhaps you should open your eyes next time and read…I clearly state it’s my fault…read next time pal.

by
by
by
by
by
by