214 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Pandemic says

Hey guys,

I’m making a site for a music artist, who wants a flash player for her songs. But she doesn’t want the music to stop when the visitor changes pages.

Obviously I could do jQuery content replacement but that wouldn’t be optimal for SEO . Anyone else have good ideas?

Thanks!

ProgressionStudios
ProgressionStudios Recent Posts Threads Started
221 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
ProgressionStudios says

I believe the best option will be using jQuery to replace content. Essentially a one page portfolio. Having the url anchor links is a must as well. Otherwise the website loses a lot of functionality.

Css-tricks had a video podcast about the subject. He too wanted music playing all of the time as well. I think it’s this one:
http://css-tricks.com/video-screencasts/81-ajaxing-a-wordpress-theme/
or this one directly addresses that problem
http://css-tricks.com/video-screencasts/84-site-walkthrough/

Another option that is must easier would be an iframe at the top or bottom. Obviously more of a workaround if the jQuery route didn’t work out.

Anybody else got any good ideas?

186 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
Artillegence says

I think one page portfolio is a good solution creating a vertical or horizontal scrollable or fading sections or you dynamically populate using jQuery :) both will work fine

367 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Denmark
+1 more
UI20 says
Hey guys,

I’m making a site for a music artist, who wants a flash player for her songs. But she doesn’t want the music to stop when the visitor changes pages.

Obviously I could do jQuery content replacement but that wouldn’t be optimal for SEO . Anyone else have good ideas?

Thanks!

Well why not make the site modular and put the player in the header or foot er that way it is always there.

559 posts Themes and Graphics
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+9 more
Bebel says

Even if the page is modular it will still have to be reloaded every time you change the page.

The best solution is to use ajax to load the content. Of course if javascript is disabled the feature won’t work – but its still way nicer than using… frames. :)

For the SEO problem: the bots don’t need to listen to the music, right? So just implement a fallback to a standard non js version and enable this fallback if the user browsing on the site is actually a bot.

1734 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
VisualSharing says

I have worked on a couple of music website projects and that was the most difficult part.

There’s no straightforward workaround for that. Either use ajax, frames or popup – all these are uncomfortable.

The best solution me and my colleagues chose was NOT to play the music everywhere – after all, you have TABS nowadays – leave the player in one tab and browse in the others.

Explain your customer that and explain her the downsides of ajax, frames or popups (mainly the issue with URLs).

Still, a one page website is an option, but then comes the SEO question and the slug URL issues (and you need to make a rock solid javascript fallback).

by
by
by
by
by
by