41 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Located in Sweden
+2 more
JohanGren says

Hi all,

I have finally switched to Mac after more than 20 years on a PC. Yes, I know im old…and stupid…:-) I know the keyboard layout is different from a pc but when I opened Photoshop all the shortcuts I use are impossible to manage. I use my pinky finger for the ctlr button and using the command key instead is not possible. So my question for you guys is: Should I remap my photoshop shortcuts, learn the new mac shortcuts, buy a pc keyboard or crash my brand new imac 27? Also, what mouse do you recommend buying, my magic mouse is terrible to work with. Im a designer by the way. I really appreciate some feedback on this if you have time. Thanks alot!

Regards Johan

7384 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

sell the mac. get a custom build pc with windows.

the key is “custom build”

I repeat “custom build”, don’t forget :)

41 posts
  • Located in Sweden
+2 more
JohanGren says

Ok, 5k down the drain is not really an option so I would appreciate some serious feedback on this from designers working on both mac and pc. Thanks

126 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
VProxy says

Hey, You can remap the modifier keys to be like your windows keyboard.

I use windows keyboard in my mac mini and remapped the keys so that i press same keys for shotcuts.

41 posts
  • Located in Sweden
+2 more
JohanGren says

Hey, You can remap the modifier keys to be like your windows keyboard. I use windows keyboard in my mac mini and remapped the keys so that i press same keys for shotcuts.
Do you mean remap the keys in Photoshop or mountain lion? Do you use a pc keyboard with mac mini? Does that work ok?
1263 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+8 more
Pricop says

Hey, You can remap the modifier keys to be like your windows keyboard. I use windows keyboard in my mac mini and remapped the keys so that i press same keys for shotcuts.
Do you mean remap the keys in Photoshop or mountain lion? Do you use a pc keyboard with mac mini? Does that work ok?

So you worked on the computers area for as long as 20 years and yet you call your old Windows/Linux a PC but a OS/X a Mac? I’m pretty sure Mac are PC as well. I would recommend you to re-map the Photoshop to your old configuration, because you will probably work on Windows machines in the future as well so it’s better to stick on one version instead of two.

7384 posts
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

Ok, 5k down the drain is not really an option so I would appreciate some serious feedback on this from designers working on both mac and pc. Thanks

I’m sure you will find someone to buy the mac from you. you will not lose 5k. And I was serious, but if you don’t like my advice :) I can’t do nothing.

No, but seriously, that mouse cost like 100$ yet you can’t use it. What design is that?

As a designer you should buy a tablet, like those from wacom. I use one for my work, is better than the mouse.

41 posts
  • Located in Sweden
+2 more
JohanGren says

So you worked on the computers area for as long as 20 years and yet you call your old Windows/Linux a PC but a OS/X a Mac? I’m pretty sure Mac are PC as well.

Haha, are you serious? What difference does it make what I called it? Or perhaps you got confused? Actually Im working on a commondore 64…:-)

7384 posts
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

edit:

ignore me I’m retarded answered to the wrong post

3434 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

I switched to a Mac this year after using Windows and Linux for a long time. I had the same issue with ctrl/cmd/my pinky. If you’re committing to Mac, I’d recommend learning the new keyboard shortcuts – that’s what I did and it came quickly enough. Though if you plan to switch between Mac and Windows a lot, it may make sense to remap in Mountain Lion for consistency.

Enjoy the new machine! :)

by
by
by
by
by
by