102 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Turkey
KurtBilisim says

So you worked on the computers area for as long as 20 years and yet you call your old Windows/Linux a PC but a OS/X a Mac? I’m pretty sure Mac are PC as well.

PC stands for “Personal Computer” here so you are right. However since the hardware for both are different in many ways, people decided to use PC / Mac to refer to them. Otherwise we would have to say Win PC / Mac PC all the time. People found that unnecessary I guess so this is sort of an unwritten rule.

To OP : I did not use Mac but you should decide depending on your situation. If you are sticking with Mac from now on, it could be better to learn it’s shortcuts. But if you might return, or already use PCs somewhere else between days, sticking to a single setup would be less confusing.

41 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Sweden
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
JohanGren says

I switched to a Mac this year after using Windows and Linux for a long time. I had the same issue with ctrl/cmd/my pinky. If you’re committing to Mac, I’d recommend learning the new keyboard shortcuts – that’s what I did and it came quickly enough. Though if you plan to switch between Mac and Windows a lot, it may make sense to remap in Mountain Lion for consistency. Enjoy the new machine! :)

Thats the reply I was looking for! Actually Im all apple now. My wife and kids have iphones, ipads and macbooks and my clients are more used to mac so its a done deal. I told people over at Dribbble I was using windows and they had a good laugh…:-) I guess I will take your advice and learn the keys. Are you using the mac keyboard and mouse? I had a mechanical steelseries before and loved it so the mac keyboard feels a little tiny to me. Again, thanks for your response. I really appreciate it.

41 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Sweden
  • Exclusive Author
JohanGren says

So you worked on the computers area for as long as 20 years and yet you call your old Windows/Linux a PC but a OS/X a Mac? I’m pretty sure Mac are PC as well.

PC stands for “Personal Computer” here so you are right. However since the hardware for both are different in many ways, people decided to use PC / Mac to refer to them. Otherwise we would have to say Win PC / Mac PC all the time. People found that unnecessary I guess so this is sort of an unwritten rule.

To OP : I did not use Mac but you should decide depending on your situation. If you are sticking with Mac from now on, it could be better to learn it’s shortcuts. But if you might return, or already use PCs somewhere else between days, sticking to a single setup would be less confusing.

Thanks for your input! I have a mac at work and a pc at home but I will in a near future go all mac so I guess I have to learn the shortcuts. How hard could it be, maybe a week or two?

3058 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
wickedpixel says

I have the same problem, that is why I avoid staying too much on the mac. I’m too lazy to learn the code shortcuts for mac. I find the entire text interaction awkward on mac, after an entire life on windows.

3365 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

I switched to a Mac this year after using Windows and Linux for a long time. I had the same issue with ctrl/cmd/my pinky. If you’re committing to Mac, I’d recommend learning the new keyboard shortcuts – that’s what I did and it came quickly enough. Though if you plan to switch between Mac and Windows a lot, it may make sense to remap in Mountain Lion for consistency. Enjoy the new machine! :)
Thats the reply I was looking for! Actually Im all apple now. My wife and kids have iphones, ipads and macbooks and my clients are more used to mac so its a done deal. I told people over at Dribbble I was using windows and they had a good laugh…:-) I guess I will take your advice and learn the keys. Are you using the mac keyboard and mouse? I had a mechanical steelseries before and loved it so the mac keyboard feels a little tiny to me. Again, thanks for your response. I really appreciate it.

You’re welcome! I got the full sized Mac keyboard and I love it – page up/down and home/end buttons are a necessity for me (cmd+arrow is the alternative) http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Keyboard-Numeric-MB110LL-VERSION/dp/B005DLDTAE . The USB cord is a bummer but not that big a deal.

The only keys I reprogrammed were home/end because these work differently in OSX than in Windows.

By the way, Jeffrey Way has an awesome “Getting Started with Mac” course over on tutsplus premium – you can probably find most of the info elsewhere online for free, but having it all in one spot helped me get up to speed super fast. A good portion of it is aimed at developers, though, just FYI.

Hope that helps :)

1373 posts
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Tuvalu
dekurvajo says

there was a time, i used PC :: MAC in the same time. If you are professional its not a problem. It’s like Canon :: Nikon. worked everything in the opposite way, but i had to use both. It’s nota big deal. Start to think positively, you dont have to forget or replace those cells in your brain wich are kept the ctrl+s for example. Just add a new one: command+s. And then you know more than yesterday.

41 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Sweden
  • Exclusive Author
JohanGren says

Great tips guys. I will head over to tuts and get started on the mac tutorial. How hard could it be..:-)

5082 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

Great tips guys. I will head over to tuts and get started on the mac tutorial. How hard could it be..:-)

Who cares how hard it is, you nnow have a mac … and have joined an illustrious band of Elite Warriors !

Mac’s rule :) ( changed this year too ( well last year ) after 20 yrs on PC’s ) and luvin it.

Incidentally to define: PC ( acronym for Political Correctness )

Politics from the latin Poly ( meaning Many ) and tics ( from the latin Annoying parasites )

:)

by
by
by
by
by
by