27 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
stewboon Envato team says

Hi everyone…for our authors out there, many of you may remember that when you first became an author, for each Marketplace you had to complete a quick quiz answering questions about the uploading requirements for items on that Marketplace. Well, the funny thing about that quiz is that it isn’t so quick and in fact we are putting unnecessary barriers in front of potential new authors not because the questions were super hard or good, but because the way we designed it was not user friendly. We are also making it hard for existing authors on one Marketplace, from becoming new authors on another Marketplace.

It turns out we are standing in the way of great legitimate authors submitting great items to our review team. While it seemed well founded at the time (2007), it seems pretty unfriendly and unnecessary now particularly when our review team remains as focused as ever on maintaining the quality of the items on the Marketplaces.

Here are some details on what’s happening.

What’s changing?

We’ll be:

• redesigning the pages that explain what it means to be an author,
  • removing the quiz and replacing it with some information about being an author,
  • providing some welcome messages for new authors, and
  • providing first time uploaders some useful information on uploading requirements and standards when they need it most – just before they upload.
Also, rather than make you go through a signup process for each Marketplace separately, new authors do it once and then have permission to upload on all of the Marketplaces. New authors to PhotoDune will still need to upload a portfolio of photos for our review team to check.

Does anything change for existing authors?

Yes. Existing authors will be given permission to be an author on all of the other Marketplaces they don’t already have permission for (subject to the PhotoDune portfolio upload I mentioned above). So no need to go through the quiz or even the new process when trying to become an author on a new Marketplace.

Is anything changing with the review process?

No. We are very mindful about maintaining the quality of the items and quick review times. This is a key part of keeping Envato successful and we don’t want it to change. We will be monitoring our review queues very closely for any slowdown because of an increased number of items. We want them to stay flowing and for the quality to stay high.

When is this happening?

We are aiming to release this some time later this week. We’ll let you know in this forum post as soon as it’s out there.

Anything else?

You may have seen with the autopayments release earlier this month and some of the new pages in this release, that bit by bit, we’re redesigning different parts of the site. As Justin mentioned in a previous post, “every project or feature is an opportunity to rethink a particular screen, workflow or element on the page and raise the bar a little (or a lot).”

Also, there was a lot of work put in to this from many different areas here at Envato, so there are a few too many people to thank. The Product and Dev Teams actually did the lion’s share of the work so special thanks to Cath, Damir, Jordan, Emmanuel and Steve.

96 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+1 more
Inspoir says

You can find the answers to the quiz on Google, so I don’t think you are putting unnecessary barriers in front of potential new authors. In my opinion less in better, more new so called artists more crap items. Yes, I know it’s a win win for Envato, but not for the authors or/and buyers.

1405 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
IngeniousArtist says

he has a point, but the answers to these questions were spread out all over the authoring basics and the knowledge base, it took me a day to read all of that and find out the answers before i could pass…
But giving the info on the page just like that, people might even skip it, it contains what might happen if someone uses someone else’s resources which new authors might not know and may fall in trouble, you guys should think of a way to make everyone read it ;)

6025 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

+1, Giving info/guidelines is always better than asking questions to new members.

May be questions can be asked every year to make sure that the author getting updated about latest policy changes :P

495 posts WordPress Gurus!
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
ThemeBeans says

+1 Totally agree. I think I even googled an answer or two back in the day.. ;)

2176 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
urbazon says

I don’t think this should be done at this moment. Maybe in January or something…?

I might be wrong (because we don’t see the bigger picture from here) but there seems to be submission-rush around Christmas time – last year it made AJ reviewing time to almost two weeks!!! And now you’ll just open the flood gates, like reviewers aren’t at the pressure already.

But, apart from that, restructuring the whole quiz and info thing is a good thing, because many new authors don’t even bother to read the info, especially when it is scattered all over the place (and many of the important info is still MISSING from the knowledgebase, while we’re at it…). And many authors were just googling the answers, without bothering to understand.

156 posts ThemeTon
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+7 more
themeton says

I think most of people skip quickly terms & condition of anytype of apps, maybe new authors have same as this. But thanks for sharing this. Keep up your good work

792 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
Amrhamza says

Removing the quiz will be very helpful for non-speaking English persons.

301 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
sniperatic says

Will you not see an influx of more rubbish being uploaded?

The quiz wasn’t by any means hard, but made sure you were serious about what you were doing if you spent the time to complete it! It’s your time I guess though, having to review a lot more items :P

3560 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

Will you not see an influx of more rubbish being uploaded?

The quiz has absolutely nothing to do with the reviewing process. The quiz was just a totally useful set of questions which didn’t help new authors at all.

by
by
by
by
by
by