• Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+2 more
FinalDestiny says

I’ll have to agree that removing the author quiz will increase the number of low-quality items submitted, by authors that don’t speak english almost at all. Now there’s absolutely no process in removing items that have absolutely zero chance of getting approved.

296 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
sniperatic says

Will you not see an influx of more rubbish being uploaded?
The quiz has absolutely nothing to do with the reviewing process. The quiz was just a totally useful set of questions which didn’t help new authors at all.

I don’t necessarily mean quality of item, but at least people had to pay some sort of attention to the answers, even if they Google’d them.

Being sent an information like email which probably won’t get read possibly won’t help?

I see the amount of people google-ing scripts and uploading them, increasing in numbers. The script will have some silly name, no screenshots, no documentation and won’t get approved. However the more of these that are submitted, means a slower review process for legitimate authors? I know there is a lot of hatred for this process as it is from newly acclaimed Authors.

148 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
CipheredDesigns says

Will you not see an influx of more rubbish being uploaded?
The quiz has absolutely nothing to do with the reviewing process. The quiz was just a totally useful set of questions which didn’t help new authors at all.

Of course it did!

Killing the author quiz will cause mass uploads of items which are not ready for the Envato marketplaces because new authors will upload their work without knowing anything about submission and quality standards.

As a direct consequence thereof, hard-rejections will increase dramatically and the review process itself will take forever.

Please Envato, reconsider your decision. You can shorten the quiz or make it much more user-friendly by adding a french, spanish, italian, dutch or more translated versions.

You are not putting unnecessary barriers in front of potential new authors with the quiz. If you kill it, you´ll put overall unnecessary barriers to the entire marketplace system.

906 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
+1 more
greenline says

I’ll have to agree that removing the author quiz will increase the number of low-quality items submitted, by authors that don’t speak english almost at all.

I totally agree.
Besides that, I must say that because Envato marketplace is an international market and the main language is English, every author who upload items here should know English at an acceptable level.

81 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
themethoft says

In my opinion, the author quiz should be made even more specific and ask new authors questions about their chosen category. They should have sufficient knowledge about the standards in the specific category.

I know only about WordPress so I am going to talk specifically about WP. New authors should be well informed of past updates so that there is no need of reinventing the wheel. They should be aware of security issues which make the buyer’s website vulnerable. They should be able to give support and for that, minimum knowledge of English is required. All these checks serve to increase the quality of the marketplace authors and hence, the products they submit.

Envato does win in the short term with more products selling, but in the long term, compromising the quality of authors over here can prove to be a devastating move.

94 posts
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Europe
Inspoir says

I’ll have to agree that removing the author quiz will increase the number of low-quality items submitted, by authors that don’t speak english almost at all. Now there’s absolutely no process in removing items that have absolutely zero chance of getting approved.

How can authors that don’t speak english almost at all promote, sell and give support? English is a must in my opinion. Giving support in a language that X or Y don’t understand… I mean, really…

296 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United States
CodeFusion says

How can authors that don’t speak english almost at all promote, sell and give support? English is a must in my opinion. Giving support in a language that X or Y don’t understand… I mean, really…
http://translate.google.com
296 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
sniperatic says

http://translate.google.com

Anybody who’s tried using this would know that it mainly rips the English language to shreds as it can’t understand what context you are talking in.

2037 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Germany
+2 more
Creattive says

I also think that getting rid of the authors quiz could lead to submissions that get rejected because of reasons that had been answered in that quiz.

It might have been better to update the questions and/or the knowledgebase articles about how to get started.

591 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Ghana
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
IsaacA says

I agree. Removing the author quiz with info that can be skipped (if that’s how it’ll work) can give way to more low-quality authors. Maybe, submitting a sample (for the reviewers to decide if you’re skillful enough) would be a better idea?

I know that’s how top sports websites do (like BleacherReport.com or GiveMeSport.com who host thousands of wannabe journalists). And trust me, it really pays off. I know from my experience as a featured writer on both sites. So maybe that’d be something to consider in the future.

Anyone agrees with me?

by
by
by
by
by
by