• Exclusive Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Envato Developer
jordan-lewis Dev says

Hi everyone,

Just letting you know we have now gone live with the new author signup flow improvements!

99 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
ssievert says

Hi everyone, Just letting you know we have now gone live with the new author signup flow improvements!

Ok, now let’s see the effects on the review process (in days) and finally on sales (in $) :-)

22 posts General Manager Marketplaces
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
HelenSouness says

Will those who passed the quiz, which they studied really, really hard for, receive a QuizMaster-badge? Badges, it’s all about the badges.
Badge title: “Passed our quiz at 13th attempt”
Haha! That’d be the truth-reader badge.

Thanks for sharing, I feel better about all my attempts at the quiz!

We’ll be watching the queues closely guys :-)

296 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
sniperatic says

I’m sure the duration each user spends looking at the author notes page will be interesting viewing :)

8186 posts Community Moderator
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

the quiz has zero relevance to the quality of the item. Someone who doesn’t understand coding or graphics or anything could pass the quiz by reading carefully…

296 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
CodeFusion says

Anybody who’s tried using this would know that it mainly rips the English language to shreds as it can’t understand what context you are talking in.
I’m well aware of how bad it murders the language and constructs – however, it works well enough that I can grasp the heart of the buyers communication – and they seem to be able to understand my reply well enough to resolve their issue.

How can authors that don’t speak english almost at all promote, sell and give support? English is a must in my opinion. Giving support in a language that X or Y don’t understand… I mean, really…
http://translate.google.com
How professional…
An author does NOT have to give support – therefore their language does not play a factor!
An author does NOT have to promote their item – therefore their language does not play a factor!
An author does NOT have to “sell” anything – therefore their language does not play a factor.
What an author does have to do is – be good at what they do! It’s not like a Spanish TF author codes their HTML using <cabeza> instead of <head>; or they use eco instead of echo in their PHP. Also, AFAIK both the item description and documentation must be in English.

As for providing support – According to LinguisticSociety.org there are about 6,909 languages – what do you expect me to do … I cannot very well learn them all! And beings as the buyer has the money and I have something to sell, I do my best to accommodate their language the best I can. When a buyer sends me an email in a non-English language, I run it through Translate, where – for better or worse – I can attempt to understand them and help them. Going that extra step is professional – telling them to piss in the wind until they learn English is NOT professional.

About using Google translate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMkJuDVJdTw miscommunication and support…never mix well ;-)
While that is awesomely funny, that is not how Translate was meant to work – nor is it a real world scenario. When they translate it from English to Mandarin back to English – we can still get at the heart of the communication – and with the exception of “Apricot” was done rather well.

However, in the real world, the song would need to be properly written in Mandarin and then translated to English – that is what Google Translate is for.

As far as all of this goes, I’ve been an author for 3 to 4 years – I cannot remember a single question or answer from that Author Quiz (and I’ve done both CC and TF quiz). If I were to take those quizzes now, I’d probably have to “study” first. If it was a vital part of Envato – it would need to be taken regularly – or upon every item submission.

I can see both sides of the argument – the quiz keeping non-serious people from plugging the queue, but also the side of Envato – discovering hidden talent.

I’m mainly a PHP developer (CC Marketplace), but I like to play in FruityLoops and Photoshop and have been meaning to take the AJ and GR quiz for 3 to 4 years now – just never got around to it. Now that I don’t have to take the quiz – I may just upload them. Will they pass review? I would hope so – but I honestly don’t know. Now “professional” AJ/GR members may get delayed by my noob submissions – but there again, maybe what I call “playing in FruityLoops” – is super elite material (lol – I can dream right?)

Bottom line:
From a potential authors stand point: No ridiculous quiz to deal with.
From an authors stand point: it sucks because there is going to be more “junk” taking up the reviewers time / plugging the queue.
From Envatos stand point: more authors = more money.

3432 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

@CodeFusion .. See this thread: http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/about-html-template-submission/113418

This is why anyone who wants to be an author should understand plain English as well as possible, otherwise they won’t understand basic requirements.

296 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
CodeFusion says

@Ruben – The case you point out has nothing to do with English. I thought that the OP communicated in English really well (with the exception of punctuation). In fact, you had more grammatical errors than that of the OP.

Your reference post shows a lacking ability in reading comprehension and/or following instructions – nothing to do with language itself per say (ie: they may have the same “disability” in their own native language).

40 posts
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
caligrafx says

One on the worst draw backs to submitting an item to the Envato Markets is the review time and we all know that, but what are they doing to fix that, is the really question? I have read tons of threads and someone always says something about the time it takes… but nothing every comes up about how its being handled or addressed.

Waiting anymore than 24 hours makes most of us mad because its just something that is out of my control at that point and getting excited about finally finishing an item and wanting to know how well it will do, is the best part!

57 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United States
EarBox says

I have to agree with the concerns shared by other authors. When I joined, that quiz took me a while to figure out, but it also gave me a lot of insight into how Envato wants items to be prepared and uploaded.

Remove that barrier, and now there will be a lot more authors flooding the marketplace, a lot more content to sift through, and a lot more people who don’t understand the rules in advance. Translation: a lot more for moderators to reject and educate.

Couple that with a search engine that isn’t powerful enough, and I think it’s primed for the marketplace to be flooded with a lot of additional content that – it looks like – is going to result in a decline in overall quality, both in items sold and in user experience.

Color me concerned. I personally think Envato should be tightening things up, not loosening them.

by
by
by
by
by
by