595 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
designcise says

I saw how Tuts+ is so commercialized through partnerships with various vendors and having their products priced really high.

Now with CodeCanyon, I feel it’s heading in the same direction. Who else here thinks its going to kill competition? Like for instance, a slider that’s very professional and priced at $50, to compete against it, you got to have something super remarkable; meaning, you’ll have to spend months or maybe a year or two making one script and that too, won’t have your item priced equally. I really think on part of this community, this is not the right move; selling out to commercial motives. It’s almost like an indication to kick us authors out.

And on top of that, that item was also featured; in other words, CC is directing all its efforts in marketing the script for mutual benefit and profitability. How is this good for the community?

23 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
MattLowden says

Hi designcise,

Surely needing to make a better scripts is good for competition? If one of the best scripts in a particular category is the most expensive then you need to make something better to attain that level. If a script that was inferior was the same price then it’s misleading to buyers / not fair on the author of the original file.

Over time if scripts don’t keep up with the competition then their price is reduced (Not sure if that works both ways) so there’s always the incentive to keep improving files.

Personally I think that it’s fair that best scripts are featured and given exposure as long as they ARE the best scripts as the author deserves it :)

Matt.

595 posts
+5 more
designcise says

i knew this would be one of the most obvious things that would be said, “up your game to meet the competition”—you just don’t see beyond that. i’m always up for a good competition, everyone around here is, but when you mix the commercial element into a community it just takes away a lot from it. unfair competition would be one, where i’m sure they aren’t going to price our items @ $50, these are all commercial partnerships due to which they have to price it that high. anyway, i just wanted to throw an opinion out there, won’t continue replying in this thread because it would probably lead to an undesired argument, but would love to see what everyone has to say about this. would prefer though, if everyone didn’t think one-dimensionally.

23 posts
+3 more
MattLowden says

Could you post a link to the items that you are referring to?

Matt.

595 posts
+5 more
designcise says

look for slide deck pro on the homepage ..

136 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Raspo says

Hi designcise,

I don’t think this is “killing the marketplace”, I mean, the situation is not too bad. $50 is quite a lot for a plugin and you can still be competitive and make more money with a $20-priced item.

What I really found odd and somehow offensive was the fact that the item got featured. I don’t think it was deserved…

595 posts
+5 more
designcise says

@raspo .. same here .. but if they don’t market the product, both the parties don’t benefit from it and that’s where the unfair competition bit kicks in and i know they’re going to give us all the reasons in the world to prove they’re right and we’re wrong, but the marketplace is clearly being commercialized.

320 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+2 more
jwmcpeak says

MattLowden’s answer was expected because it’s really the only answer. An item is priced in accordance to its quality and feature set.

I have reviewed many JavaScript items, and while many of them are good, they don’t go far enough to be considered “wow”ing. Authors, at least in the JavaScript category, tend to target customers who have little to no experience with programming and/or JavaScript. It’s fine targeting that audience, but there’s another audience that seems to be completely ignored: developers.

I write software for a living. When I, or my coworkers, look for a component to add to our project, we look at several factors. The biggies are:

• How customizable it is
  • The data formats it supports (out of the box, of course)
  • If it has a good programmable API
  • The end-user’s experience

In comparison with the items I see on a daily basis, the majority of items are customizable; they offer many features that modifies the item’s behavior. Most also offer a good end-user experience. Sometimes they don’t, and I offer suggestions on how to make it more natural. But that seems to be where it ends. Most of the items that work with external data only work with one data format—other formats are ignored for one reason or another. Programmable APIs are pretty much non-existent.

As a developer, I don’t want to buy a component and spend hours making modifications to make it usable in my project. The four things listed above go a long way towards making my life (as a developer) easier. Otherwise, I should just write it myself.

Balancing between the two audiences can sometimes be a challenge, but I guarantee you it will get you a good price on the marketplace.

731 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+7 more
mordauk says

What I really found odd and somehow offensive was the fact that the item got featured. I don’t think it was deserved…

+1 – it’s a commercial piece of software that’s been around for a long time. Seems to me it was only featured because of a “mutual agreement” between the developers and envato.

Why does it, but not an item that has made more than 100 sales in just ten days, has a full five star rating, and was one of the top selling items for the last two weeks? While I understand that their are always reasons for featuring an item, I think it needs to be rethought a little . . .

632 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Thecodingdude says

I think that $50 for an item is plain unbelievable, but if it deserves it, then fine.

However, other products may get attention because not everybody can afford a $50 item…However, that item is more expensive then the most beautiful themes I’ve ever seen?

Don’t want to advertise but to prove a point:

http://themeforest.net/item/constellation-complete-admin-skin/116461

Has had over 1700 sales.

I can’t see this item even coming close to that record.

by
by
by
by
by
by