• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

Thanks for lending your voice here Jeffrey, always appreciated :)

I think what people were most concerned about was the exclusivity (Everything else kinda stemmed from that). I had a feeling this version of the slider may have been different to the ones on their site although this doesn’t seem to be explained in their item description.

If you read the item comments there is also allot of confusion as to how this one differs from the $99 one on their website so it might be worth suggesting to them that they provide a more detailed differentiation :)

Matt.

Exactly. The only potential issue I see here is the exclusivity. If the item is different enough to be sold here exclusively, I think that explicitly stating the differences is very important, as it would serve to (1) explain to buyers exactly what is excluded from this version versus the version sold on the SlideDeck site, (2) reassure buyers of the $99 version that they have not been ‘ripped off’, and (3) put this exclusivity matter to rest.

I have to say, I have trouble discerning any difference between the product here and that on their site, especially as they share the same demos – so an explicit explanation would really help clarify. Also, if the only difference between the product is that the CodeCanyon version is WordPress only, and the slidedeck.com version is WordPress + jQuery, does this set the precedent that authors can sell an item exclusively here while packaging it with a secondary plugin which is sold elsewhere? I don’t know if that would necessarily be a good thing or a bad thing, but it would be good to get a ‘ruling’ on that so that all authors can be on the same page :)

293 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Indonesia
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
amatyr4n says

Hey guys – wow…lots of drama! :)

So I’ll try to address some of the issues I picked up, while reading through this thread:

Ultimately – this is good for everyone. We should all be excited to see how it performs!

Thanks for the reply :)

I think what people were most concerned about was the exclusivity (Everything else kinda stemmed from that). I had a feeling this version of the slider may have been different to the ones on their site although this doesn’t seem to be explained in their item description.

If you read the item comments there is also allot of confusion as to how this one differs from the $99 one on their website so it might be worth suggesting to them that they provide a more detailed differentiation :)

Matt.

Exactly. I think, a little explanation from the authorities will help to clean up this problem.

594 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
designcise says

i’m not convinced with the given arguments, sorry. the item is not different, have you guys even seen the details on their website?

@jeff .. then this means that i can sell the same items on my website too? doing whatever slidedeck changed?

And again, going back to the $50 point—we want to give it the best possible chance of succeeding. Because if it is a success, we’ll roll out a similar price point to other same-level items.

so what i can gather from your post is that you’re somewhat confirming our suspicions about all of what we’ve been complaining about. you either keep it fair and price everything similarly, i.e. test it out with all the items (like they did on GR—they raised the prices of each item to see the affect on sales of every item not just one!), or you don’t price the item higher to begin with.

about the item being featured, i know i’ve had a lot of problem with this in the past too. and in each thread, i get a different criteria for being featured; can we not have a criteria listed out somewhere? which would help us authors do our best to fit our items into that criteria and not complain when an item as such is featured!

thanks!

2821 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+10 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

I think $50 is totally fair. Isn’t this just wordpress? The $99 through their website is wordpress & javascript. So you pay half the price here, and you get half the item?

Yes it would be nice for everyone to be featured, but featuring 1300 items isn’t viable – if an item (or author) deserves featuring, it will be featured. You can’t put rules on it (but unique idea + good avg. daily sales + positive item comments help!)

Best to sit back, relax and keep working on your next brilliant item. Plus – getting featured doesn’t really improve sales (compared with been productive/nice on the forums, advertising externally and providing good support – these are things you have control over and are proven to increase sales – don’t rely on front page / feature!).

The exclusivity of the author isn’t something we can decide on here, and really doesn’t affect anyone here. Best to send these type of complaints directly to support. That will be the quickest way to get your problem infront of someone who can fix it.

Lets dial back on the negativity a bit. These big “pro” items bring buyers to the marketplace, and increase exposure to other items. Some of the upcoming “pro” marketplace items will be unique, some will be competing against existing items, but either way they will be good for the marketplace.

660 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
donchev_a says

I think $50 is totally fair. Isn’t this just wordpress? The $99 through their website is wordpress & javascript. So you pay half the price here, and you get half the item?

Yes it would be nice for everyone to be featured, but featuring 1300 items isn’t viable – if an item (or author) deserves featuring, it will be featured. You can’t put rules on it (but unique idea + good avg. daily sales + positive item comments help!)

Best to sit back, relax and keep working on your next brilliant item. Plus – getting featured doesn’t really improve sales (compared with been productive/nice on the forums, advertising externally and providing good support – these are things you have control over and are proven to increase sales – don’t rely on front page / feature!).

The exclusivity of the author isn’t something we can decide on here, and really doesn’t affect anyone here. Best to send these type of complaints directly to support. That will be the quickest way to get your problem infront of someone who can fix it.

Lets dial back on the negativity a bit. These big “pro” items bring buyers to the marketplace, and increase exposure to other items. Some of the upcoming “pro” marketplace items will be unique, some will be competing against existing items, but either way they will be good for the marketplace.

Dear dtbaker, I understand your opinion, and your points could be valid under one condition: This is not an open, free and competitive marketplace but corporation where the employees have been hired and fired. But here I think you are totally off.

Here we have the free will to participate or not participate in many ways. In threads, in polls in discussions, by supporting products (which is not a must option), in linking back to our items from our websites and many many more other ways.

Many of the qualities of this marketplaces have been born after such discussions. Many of the nice feature you see here are implemented after open forum discussions.

And what I want to point out is that this is the biggest advantage. 10 000 minds are helping the management of Envato to improve and make the things better.

Sometimes they listen to us sometimes they don’t. Unfortunately in the recent times it looks like our opinion doesn’t really matter. And even worse, there is an author who in a very obvious way takes an advantage of our place and arrogantly violates the Agreement without any penalties.

I have seen other authors kicked out immediately after such actions. In the past the management was very strict about such violations and that is fair. Because having the item only here makes this place unique. Now it looks like they have to make a choice. To change their rules and to allow everyone to publish the same item on their sites, or to remove the exclusivity of that particular author. Or just to hide, and wait for the authors to forget about the issue.

I am surprised that no one from the management even bother them selfs to come here and say: hey guys we are looking at the item and soon we will inform you. They used to do these things! Which was very nice and brought more authors and clients.

I sincerely believe that this move was completely wrong in many ways. The economic situation is constantly changing towards cheaper and cheaper products and solutions. Even the big companies do not spend money as before. Subcontractors is the daily slogan of every IT Manager around the world. Constantly looking to reduce the expense and to increase the profit. Promoting expensive items or heading towards them isn’t the smart move.

I do not need an answer from Envato. I know what they are trying to do and “We care for our joint business and your opinion” is not their priority anymore. It is corporate business. They simply grew up.

Just my 5c.! Cheers!

594 posts
  • Exclusive Author
designcise says

@donchev_a .. totally agree with you .. i didn’t want to reply to this thread anymore because as always, people who find this issue a problem are too afraid to join the discussion and people who’re employed by envato (and established authors) are always trying to suppress our voices by telling us that we’re wrong in every way and that whatever envato is doing is totally right. they need to instead value our opinion and listen to us with an open-mind because this is an important issue.

they need to keep the pricing fair for everyone (if they want to test new pricing, it needs to be done with every item in that category and not just one) and if they allow that author to be exclusive on minor differences, then we should all be allowed (and yes i’ve contacted support so please don’t tell us over and over again to do that). being featured comes way after the first two points are cleared out and dealt with.

660 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
donchev_a says

@donchev_a .. totally agree with you .. i didn’t want to reply to this thread anymore because as always, people who find this issue a problem are too afraid to join the discussion and people who’re employed by envato (and established authors) are always trying to suppress our voices by telling us that we’re wrong in every way and that whatever envato is doing is totally right. they need to instead value our opinion and listen to us with an open-mind because this is an important issue. they need to keep the pricing fair for everyone (if they want to test new pricing, it needs to be done with every item in that category and not just one) and if they allow that author to be exclusive on minor differences, then we should all be allowed (and yes i’ve contacted support so please don’t tell us over and over again to do that). being featured comes way after the first two points are cleared out and dealt with.

Dude I am done! :) I deleted my files on my personal account (I had 20). I’ll wait passionately for their response. If they have to tell me something.

After that I’ll release all my files for free. Everything with no exception. Plugins, flash files…

I simply can not handle such ignorant behavior. I spent hundreds of dollars on buying items. (I have third account for that). I spent countless hours working on files for Envato, spent in promoting, in support, on the forums trying to help and share opinion. The total I got from here is $4000 for 4 years. This in average $80 monthly. I mean come on, only one freelance project for $2000 for 2 weeks and I am good for an entire year.

Everyone is free to share opinion and free of expression.

I am NOT A SLAVE .(period)

594 posts
  • Exclusive Author
designcise says

i might step down too; what started off as a good venture, is now turning out to be something i never expected.

42 posts
  • Exclusive Author
maguiar01 says

The complaints are light right now. The riot will start when slideDeck win the $41000 competition. :D They have to win (its the most awesome item by codecanyon standards). Then you will see some angry authors in the forums.

725 posts WordPress Ninja
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
TylerQuinn says

Judging how WooThemes quickly came and went on TF so will this slider on CC (they get 25% of every sale so …). Therefor I’m not overly concerned about that. However, the fact it’s been featured is a whole nother story. I don’t know if they changed the person who picks featured items or not but week after week I’m more and more disappointed by their (his) picks. Of course nobody says I have to be pleased :)

I second this… I have seen items that have done hundreds of sales per month get brushed over in favor of something higher priced. A little fishy.

by
by
by
by
by
by