32 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
orangecounty says

New theme revenue models

Having browsed through themeforest several times over the years, I feel frustrated there aren’t new themes that are build with new ecommerce models in mind. It’s always the same Wordpress directory listing, news publication, hotel bookings or eCommerce traditional product retailing.

There are some innovative models from Wordpress themes like digital marketplace, job sites, crowdfunding but are very limited. (can count with my fingers)

Instead of building the next “nicer” Wordpress or eCommerce theme, consider one with an innovative revenue model never seen before. Here are some examples currently not found at themeforest:

• Real world sports betting
  • Simple UE friendly courier delivery booking with tracking number
  • Subscription model (product or service)
  • mobile only community. use html5 to trigger camera, user snap pic and upload to sell digital content

• This might be helpful although innovative breakthrough models would be most ideal:

• http://digitalenterprise.org/models/models.html
  • http://www.boardofinnovation.com/business-revenue-model-examples/

• You may ask, if I can create myself, why don’t I run that innovative model myself? Here’s why:

• You may be geographically bound
  • Limited in capital investment
  • Limited in marketing skills
  • Limited in connections/network to people that can make it happen

• Let the entrepreneurs out there take the risk by trying your theme. And not to forget, the innovative new theme you created could be used by a theme buyer differently from the initial way you intended which you would never have thought of in the first place.

Ideas contributors out there: Add your theme ideas here and I will compile here at the top
    30 posts
    • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
    • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
    • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
    • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
    PixelForces says

We are doing website / ecommerce themes here that priced around 50$, you suggest us to create a ready platforms on which you will then create your company, saving tens of thousands on development?

How many people want the create a “Real world sports betting”, “Simple UE friendly courier delivery booking with tracking number”? I don’t think much enough. And the author will spend much more time (and if he have enough programming skills) on developing something like this, and have a risk to sell 100-300 licenses only.

Thank you for your ideas, I agree that there are not enough app or niche themes – that is the right way to move for the authors. But these exact your ideas sound more like a “ready online businesses”, they take many months and teams of people to develop properly, otherwise you will get something looking like what you need, but not working.

32 posts
    orangecounty says

We are doing website / ecommerce themes here that priced around 50$, you suggest us to create a ready platforms on which you will then create your company, saving tens of thousands on development?

How many people want the create a “Real world sports betting”, “Simple UE friendly courier delivery booking with tracking number”? I don’t think much enough. And the author will spend much more time (and if he have enough programming skills) on developing something like this, and have a risk to sell 100-300 licenses only.

Thank you for your ideas, I agree that there are not enough app or niche themes – that is the right way to move for the authors. But these exact your ideas sound more like a “ready online businesses”, they take many months and teams of people to develop properly, otherwise you will get something looking like what you need, but not working.

You can go ahead and create more CMS/one-page themes no one is stopping you :)

376 posts
    • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
    • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
    • Won a Most Wanted contest
    +5 more
    QBKL says

orangecounty,

What PixelForces is trying to say is that ThemeForest is a THEME marketplace. Just as with the policies of any company that has a product for sale, authors will push products that are marketable and that – at least in theory – have good chances to sell well in order to cover the production costs.

This is the whole idea of the market place. If production costs are XXXX and price is YY you need to sell ZZ number of items to cover your costs and make a profit.

While some niches are ok and they can be approached, what you are pointing to as lacking is more in the lines of custom extensive development and also rather an individual need than a market need. If anyone takes 3-4 months to develop such a project that sells to you and 3 other guys… they are going to go out of business. It’s the simple math of survival on markets.

We don’t sit on private funding to lock ourselves in a lab and come out announcing the cure for cancer. Most long-term authors here need to make a living for themselves and their families, so please excuse them if sometimes they don’t go all out creatively or put all their eggs in one risky basket.

PS: Also, the sarcasm in your reply to PixelForces doesn’t do you justice and you can’t expect to have a decent conversation on the matter with authors if you mock them. Each author here has his reasons, which for each of them are perfectly valid, and mocking them ain’t neither fair or decent.

BUT, thank you for your time to share your views and needs and let’s hope that the community can reach more productive and marketable ideas. Although, I’m sure that people who have BRILLIANT ideas would rather develop them than put them out here for everyone to take a shot at, and lose their edge.

1445 posts How's the surf doing?
    • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
    • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
    • Had an item featured on Envato Market
    • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
    +6 more
    tommusrhodus says

Hey orange county,

Some great ideas there :) I’d definitely love to see a few new ideas coming through here. The ones you suggested:

Gambling: Probably wouldn’t be allowed to be sold on here, as gambling laws in most countries are a bit of a mine field.

Subscription Based: By Envato licensing, you’d only be able to sell this on an extended license, so every sale would have to be $2k+

A dedicated courier site is a great idea though, and would be pretty damn easy to implement :)

And yeah, now that IE8 is leaving, I think we’d all love to start using some of the more creative features of HTML5 :)

Thanks again, if there’s something I’d love to see more of, it’s “app themes” themes which really push CMS’ way beyond what they were intended for, see the live chat theme by Chris Mooney, that’s a great example of this.

32 posts
    orangecounty says

Subscription Based: By Envato licensing, you’d only be able to sell this on an extended license, so every sale would have to be $2k+

Not the theme being subscription but the theme’s ability to allow owners to sell products and services on subscription basis. eg. Scheduled cleaning services, Birchbox, scheduled car pool etc

Thanks again, if there’s something I’d love to see more of, it’s “app themes” themes which really push CMS’ way beyond what they were intended for, see the live chat theme by Chris Mooney, that’s a great example of this.

I’ve seen it, gives it a zendesk feel. This is exactly where my post was heading.

I see a lot of you assume it has to be swanky, rock star, 5000 google engineer kind of model/theme. Keep your minds open, it’s supposed to be idea generation. I’m just like any entrepreneur out there on the street sitting on the other side of the fence, authors. :)

3602 posts Ruben Bristian
    • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
    • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
    +10 more
    KrownThemes says

Aren’t you the guy who was complaining about paying $2 more for themes? No thanks, i don’t want to sell you the next big idea for $45 ;)

3883 posts
    • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
    • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
    • Nominated Community Superstar of the month
    +1 more
    charlie4282 says

Not the theme being subscription but the theme’s ability to allow owners to sell products and services on subscription basis. eg. Scheduled cleaning services, Birchbox, scheduled car pool etc

Firstly even for the “option to sell on a subscription basis” if that’s what ends up happening a buyer would need the extended license, and my guess is that the potential audience for this type of theme is limited enough let alone if you ask them to pay into the thousands of $. With this in mind authors are always going to head for the more profitably option.

I am not against new ideas and always like seeing alternative concepts reaching here but reasons remain why it would be hard to implement.

Even not “swanky” requires a pretty heavy amount of work invested against a very limited audience to purchase

Also while I have no doubt that authors like Tom or Ruben could handle this type of site with their eyes closed and the various plugins that exist that could help, WP is not really meant for that type of business from a functionality or security point of view. We are looking at exactly what you see talking about in a simple service provider directory based on subscription and PHP and some simple CMS where necessary in places is by far and way the better option.

It is a nice idea but as someone who works heavily with new tech startups in my main job, it comes down to one thing… To make any business work takes (in 99.9% of cases) the initial investment in time and effort to get the right tools and requirements. That would be the same with all the links you posted above, and if it is a web based solution then investing in a properly robust, custom built (i.e. not others out there that look the same), that is optimized to function the way it is intended is the biggest and most important investment a buyer could make.

376 posts
    • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
    • Won a Most Wanted contest
    +5 more
    QBKL says

It is a nice idea but as someone who works heavily with new tech startups in my main job, it comes down to one thing… To make any business work takes (in 99.9% of cases) the initial investment in time and effort to get the right tools and requirements. That would be the same with all the links you posted above, and if it is a web based solution then investing in a properly robust, custom built (i.e. not others out there that look the same), that is optimized to function the way it is intended is the biggest and most important investment a buyer could make.

Now that’s really well put!

@Ruben :))))

32 posts
    orangecounty says

This thread wasn’t intended to be a debate what works, what doesnt. We’re drifting here.

Most buyers here come because it’s cheap to test their blog, online store, whatever ideas. Period. Otherwise they will take the money to a dev studio. They came here to fail fast often.

The purpose of this thread is to generate ideas for new innovative models instead of just creating ANOTHER theme. It creates value to the theme. Let’s be constructive here guys.

If you are still going to argue about N reasons why it’s not feasible, I urge you to rethink before hitting the Post button. I didn’t say “I…..” want you to create those ideas here. They were just examples you help with brainstorming. No one set any rules here.

Wordpress was meant for blogging. I already see support ticketing, travel booking, forums, marketplace, job/business directories, etc solutions here.

by
    by
    by
    by
    by
    by