1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
hermanstad says

I would like to make a complaint about Pixelbooks and their Immersion theme for complete lack of support. There are clearly problems with this theme and it should be taken off themeforest. Check the forum – it hasn’t been replied in months. I would be cautious of buying any themes from themeforest in general, if they do not take action with this author.

1694 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
dnp_theme says

Support is not mandatory on Themeforest.

If you feel you want your money back go to support and request a refund, it’s that easy.

http://themeforest.net/support
22 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
NeutrinoTeam says

dnp_theme you are absolutely right. But in a way I do understand hermanstad. I’ve just had more or less the same story with a template, which bought almost 800 times, was featured by themeforest and got 4 out of 5 stars. But when I had to change stuff around, altough it’s on WordPress I had to change HTML inside the post content very cautious since changing one tag will ruin the whole page. It was with pages, with sliders and other stuff. So there is support, and themeforest did said that I could get my money back, but why ? after all it took me a lot of time to choose a template and then to start working on it, and now I need to do everything all over again, just because this item was listed in the marketplace although the quality was absolutely not even near the standards. (And I’ve bought many themes here). So I think envato actually should install the theme and try it out (i’m not sure they do all the times).

+4 more
dnp_theme says

dnp_theme you are absolutely right. But in a way I do understand hermanstad. I’ve just had more or less the same story with a template, which bought almost 800 times, was featured by themeforest and got 4 out of 5 stars. But when I had to change stuff around, altough it’s on WordPress I had to change HTML inside the post content very cautious since changing one tag will ruin the whole page. It was with pages, with sliders and other stuff. So there is support, and themeforest did said that I could get my money back, but why ? after all it took me a lot of time to choose a template and then to start working on it, and now I need to do everything all over again, just because this item was listed in the marketplace although the quality was absolutely not even near the standards. (And I’ve bought many themes here). So I think envato actually should install the theme and try it out (i’m not sure they do all the times).

There are some things I should share with you and I think many authors could too. I got rejected for documentation not being correct on installation part. This means the reviewer decided your item passed the design requirements and attempted to install it when I submitted first time and the installation steps I described were incorrect, as some small little details changed during Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 2.5 transition.

Some things change, even with WP, a theme if it’s compatible with WP 3.4 but not compatible with WP 3.5, don’t install it, it will make your site look bad or blank page. If you are a PRO, you could manage a theme back and forth, no matter what, if not, you come here and cry like a baby boy the theme is broken…

My statement stands: if you are a PRO, you come here, you buy cheap and high quality designs and use them “as is”. That is why the support is not mandatory. There is no contract or agreement that we, the authors, should provide support.

If you want to customize something in the code, you do it on your own, without asking what and where. The only questions I could reply to could be: “where is the file I can customize that… I couldn’t find it”, but you already know what’s that and how to do it.

If you are not PRO, you pay $100-2000 for full service design and development and you get an entire team to dance for you. I am, like many devs here, a one man team doing jQuery, php, css3 and stuff, and also provide support. I am sick of people asking how to install things, they should know things themselves.

Please take no offence, I like to give you my thinking straight forward.

22 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
NeutrinoTeam says

Thanks for this point of view. But unfortunately I can’t agree with you.

There is a line where people should do and know how to do stuff, and things that are definetly author laziness. I’m like you, I do PHP, jQuery, MySQL, CSS and more on my own. And I found here absolutely great products and few that are not in qualify standards.

You attitude towards customers (“cry like a baby”) is completly wrong from my point of view. When you sell hunders of copies (if not thousands) you probably will sell not few to non-pro customers. So you should be expecting support requests like so.

IMO theme, plugin or whatever should be dummy proof… not “PRO” proof. If I’m a pro so it’s easy for me to adjust the HTML in the post content, but why should I. Why the author didn’t think of making a template with custom meta boxes and custom post types – that’s a “PRO” attitude. that’s a PRO product – and I found many like these here on the market place.

By the way, I’m sure that if I would show you the comlexity of the theme I’m talking about you would say “WTF is that shit ?”

+4 more
dnp_theme says

You attitude towards customers (“cry like a baby”) is completly wrong from my point of view. When you sell hunders of copies (if not thousands) you probably will sell not few to non-pro customers. So you should be expecting support requests like so.

Man, come here talk to me after you get 1000+ sales and you wouldn’t agree more what I stated above. At the beginning I did alot of custom work for free. I enjoyed doing “good” for customers.

Now, I am working at a completely new level, with 80-100% my own code except scripts like Isotope, I am so busy with development that I often have fights with my wife for not being very social. So my time for support is very limited and mostly for PRO customers. All PRO customers know things and are there for long term relationship. The NOOBS are for the short term no matter what.

On the other side, I have spent a ton amount of time with my documentation. Any NOOB can do magic reading that documentation. It’s a 45k+ of TEXT with installation guide, server requirements, recommendations, FULL customization guides, tips and tricks on specific item features. I think it’s lack of respect for some client to contact me with “I am unable to install” when my documentation is so extensive and accurate.

153 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
wpminima says

I agree with dnp_theme. There is just so much you can do before it get’s to crazy.

When you write a documentation that is packed with information (because you are required to by Themeforest) and you get a million questions as: “my stylesheet is missing whats wrong”, or “i can’t get that custom post format to work how do I do it” as you see here on the forums and in comments, I can only imagine the frustration this must bring to authors.

The point is people buy a template from you and they expect a freelancer at their fingertips because they payed for your theme when in reality they purchased a stand alone product that is well documented and should be able to use properly with the documentation that comes provided. If you have troubles you google it and you learn something new.

I guess the only time the author’s help is required is with something that is unique to his file or coding style etc. :)

+4 more
dnp_theme says

I agree with dnp_theme. There is just so much you can do before it get’s to crazy.

When you write a documentation that is packed with information (because you are required to by Themeforest) and you get a million questions as: “my stylesheet is missing whats wrong”, or “i can’t get that custom post format to work how do I do it” as you see here on the forums and in comments, I can only imagine the frustration this must bring to authors.

The point is people buy a template from you and they expect a freelancer at their fingertips because they payed for your theme when in reality they purchased a stand alone product that is well documented and should be able to use properly with the documentation that comes provided. If you have troubles you google it and you learn something new.

I guess the only time the author’s help is required is with something that is unique to his file or coding style etc. :)

I couldn’t write better and more concise.

364 posts Design Innovation
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+4 more
designova says

In our humble opinion, there are some (not most of them) clients who don’t even bother to open Documentation. Not to get amazed, but this is so true from our experience.

On our very first months here, we were handling free customization services for our TF clients and suddenly we got the feel of a mass attitude change from the crowd in such a way that “Free Help” became “Must Do” kindaa words. When somebody think that “those guys will edit it and send me free” then they will never try to read documentation guides or google to find the solution by themselves. This is all about customization – not bug fixes.

In our story, there was one user who were screaming that our HTML theme got serious bugs and scribbling all the harsh words on our item comment form, seriously we had to suffer. To make it worse, this person lives on opposite time zone than us and he never care about waiting for even an hour :(

At last one of our developer had to work overtime (late night) solving all silly errors the client had made on their HTML editing. It was not any bug on our theme, but errors were made by the client on his edited code where 2 times class attributes are attached for every portfolio filter blocks and we had to trace and remove it all the way. Using class attribute (not class name) 2 times on a same element is tragic – such a silly mistake from client with zero technical knowledge (we understand it).

So buyers on the market place, If they are with a mindset to “use theme as it is” then they should go with ease just by referring documentation and support forum. But if they are looking for some customization they should know how to do the basics, before they purchase an HTML theme.

Anyway, nowadays we never offer free customization services :) it’s pretty good to assist buyers when reporting bugs, issues and problems within our themes (100% committed) and for us it works better than ever.

+4 more
dnp_theme says
I have a perfect image alright.
  • user lack of knowledge / experience with web technologies, in fact there are many things users lack, I will only use one line for that, don’t wanna be too harsh
  • user lack of knowledge of Themeforest forum rules and marketplace basics
  • user lack of technical skills generally but “he knows”, just don’t let him know you think he is a NOOB, he threatens with refund and also a low rating)
  • user lack of interest in learning new things
  • user lack of interest reading documentation
  • user lack of patience
  • user lack of manners when they are posted with the marketplace basics (support not mandatory, updates are at author’s discretion, custom work is mostly hourly rate and not so cheap, with other words: you use it as is)
  • user lack of morality (some users share our items on sharing sites, or threatens to do so if they don’t get support)
This results in
  • authors lack of interest providing support for NOOBS, but NOOBS try to force / punish authors with low rating and back juicy comments, pathetic drones
  • authors lack of interest developing new items (fatal)
  • authors lack of interest updating items with new features and fixes

So clients, who lacks more?

by
by
by
by
by
by