thevisualscience Recent Posts Threads Started
22 posts
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
thevisualscience says

Hello, I am looking for a good resource to learn front end web development. What is the best way to learn? I am ready to hit this thing running and learn but don’t know where to begin. Anyone know of a good website to learn with some structure? Thanks for all the help.

123 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
adam_robinson says

How much do you know already? Or are you a complete beginner?

thevisualscience
22 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
thevisualscience says

Thanks for the reply, I know basic html. That’s it.

38 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
iKreateIt says

Hi there!

I can only tell you how I started out and what was the best way to learn for me, your taste might be different.

I started out by reading a book on HTML and learning the basics there. You said you know that already. I think the next step would be to learn CSS , since it’s integral to developing websites.

While HTML is responsible for the structure, CSS makes it look awesome (and people buy your stuff eventually ;) ).

I would recommend grabbing a book on CSS and just working your way through. Even though I know CSS in and out, I got myself “CSS-The Missing Manual” for christmas and think it would be great for a beginner as well. If you’ve never worked with CSS , that should be one of your basic readings. You’ll be up and running in no time.

Why a book? There are of course many websites out there that can teach you the basics:
http://www.w3schools.com/css/
http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/
http://www.csszengarden.com/
http://www.utexas.edu/learn/css/

BUT , and that’s a big BUT : the advantage of a book is that you’ll have a much more structured approach in your learning process. It will be more detailed and you usually follow one example throughout the entire book and refine it once you learn additional stuff. Those websites really really just teach you the basics, but it’s not as comprehensive.

Once you are firm in HTML and CSS , go about the web and find some free PSD templates, download them, slice them up and create the web site for them. Just for practice.

In addition, head over to NETtuts and follow the basic tutorials on PSD to HTML conversion. They will show you in a fraction of time how easy it is once you get the basics down.

Well, and from there all doors will be open to you. You can then dive into jQuery and Javascript to add dynamic elements to your sites or bury yourself in PHP and Database stuff so you gain a deeper understanding of how data is stored with sites that are based on Wordpress, for example.

But like I said, the basics are HTML and CSS .

Have fun!

271 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
KiaJavid says

IMHO W3Schools is the best place to start.

2436 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
digitalimpact says

I think it really depends on how you like to learn.

For example, I hate learning web-dev/design from books. But then again, other people need to read a book and then dive into practice. Depends on your style.

Personally, ~4 years ago when I started, I just dived into HTML (and later CSS :D ). It was 2 weeks of painful trial&error, but after that I got to like just googling for something I didn’t know.

Books are nice for reference, but the whole beauty of this environment is that you can learn by doing and learn for free :)

My suggestion, after w3schools.com, is to get started doing tutorials. Look at a simple website, see something you want to learn, and google “how to…” That’s what I’ve always done :D

thevisualscience
22 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
thevisualscience says

Awesome replies, thank you. I will definitely take up the advice given. I appreciate it, and hopefully soon.. you will see some of my work.

Thanks, again.

by
by
by
by
by
by