406 posts Motion Graphics and Scrambled Eggs
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
smudgethis says

Made this decision yesterday after returning from a bank holiday weekend away with my wonderful wife and seeing my Facebook feed full of people seemingly trying to one-up one another with their ‘awesome’ weekends.

Maybe I’m just turning into a grumpy old man but I am going old school, disconnecting from the social web and looking forward to learning of people’s adventures via the classic form of conversation be it in person, over the phone Skype or preferably in a pub with a couple of beers.

Anybody else made this leap and how is it working out for you?

p.s. I am still going to be on twitter:

@smudgethis for the business and @notsmudgethis for my own personal stuff, although don’t expect a huge amount of activity on here. This is kind of my social network life-line that may well be severed in the not too distant future.

3567 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

Yep, Facebook is more of a boasting network than a social network.

181 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Lebanon
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
RalphSd says

I made that decision 2 years ago, I really found the whole Facebook buzz to be pointless. At the time it was very time consuming and all it was ever good for was stalk and get stalked. Instead of browsing one’s profile, liking their picture/s and commenting just give em a call and organize something. I believe its only useful for business promotion, and not any business service.

I think youre doing the right choice, I support you on that :D. I primarily use Whatsapp, Skype to connect with people.

Cheers

291 posts
  • Located in Europe
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+2 more
mariokulas says

I think that you have made great decision ;)

I´m not using Facebook for about 2-3 years already.. that platform is simply useless (except maybe for community managers, etc.). And if someone really needs you or something, you are always available via your mobile or email address…

When you think about it, .. even staring into the black dot on an empty wall is more useful than spend your time on facebook (for example, you will raise your level of concentration haha) :)

323 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 1+ members
+4 more
mothinkers says

I detoxed from Facebook almost a year ago, no relapse for now :)
Still using Twitter but really not that much. I think you’ve made a good decision smudgethis, a good ol’ phone call is alway the best way to “stay connected” with friends!
And I totally agree with you, old school still wins. A crappy pub and some couple of beers can never be replaced by any social network.

624 posts Fuel Your Web
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
+5 more
Pirenko says

I only use it for professional purposes. Most of the people I see there use it only to show what they don’t have. We have very few time to spend with our family and friends so let’s use it wisely :D

3102 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
dtbaker Moderator says

I only use Facebook for the chat feature. Private group messages between friends to organise events and stuff.

238 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
TanyDi2 says

I only use it for professional purposes. Most of the people I see there use it only to show what they don’t have. We have very few time to spend with our family and friends so let’s use it wisely :D

+1

353 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 1+ members
+4 more
DOGmotion says

I left all this social network in 2008. It’s waste of time. Do not tell anyone… <whisper>but I heard, that they create zombies from humans.</whisper>
Now I’m coming back to them, only for professional needs.

266 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+7 more
corrella says

I never was a member of facebook. I’m not really interested to read what other people do the whole day :-)

by
by
by
by
by
by