• United Kingdom
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+1 more
smudgethis says

@Creattive I totally agree and I admit to being guilty of this and it’s another issue I am trying to wrap my head around. Can I leave Facebook but still continue using other ‘social networks’ such as forums and twitter without being a hypocrite?

Please like this comment and share with your friends. ;)

2039 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Germany
+2 more
Creattive says

My point is more, you are annoyed of people that act just like you.

Some might even think you want some extra attention for being better than the rest on facebook, that is why you leave, without noticing that you act just like the people you are annoyed of by doing so.

I’d say the problem is not with facebook or any other social media. You do not even have to read what other people are posting, so there is no really a need for quitting it altogether as it doesn’t bother you in any other way than that you willingly read what people are writing.

The fact that you tell us from your train-ride the other day gives me the impression that a facebook account or a blog or any other way of communicating via the web is the right thing for you.

And I don’t mean this bad in any way, almost all people do like to express theirselves, me too (as you see I come here in your thread and tell you my thought without being ever asked for).

But with all this in mind, the question remains what is wrong with facebook? You like to express yourself and post your thoughts once in a while. Maybe you do prefer the direct conversation in a forum like this rather than the commenting system on facebook.

You are complaining about people using the same communication channels you use to complain about them…

I just made the impression that people announcing to leave facebook because they don’t like the way people act on social medias are all lying to theirselves – and they prove this with their announcement.

You are not at all a grumpy old man, you are just like the youngsters who want to spread their message and get followers. Okay, you might be grumpy for not seeing that you are just the same :)

404 posts Motion Graphics and Scrambled Eggs
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
smudgethis says

@Creattive your post is exactly why I enjoy posting in this forum and will continue to do so. It very often opens an intelligent debate with opinions on both sides with very valid opinions and intelligent insight.

Maybe I do like to express myself and start threads and post comments bla bla bla but I think it’s ok for me and others to dislike a certain platform. Facebook and twitter are essentially the same thing but the way they are used is very very different and for that reason I have chosen to stop using the one I don’t like.

• Elite Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Germany
+2 more
Creattive says

Maybe I do like to express myself and start threads and post comments bla bla bla but I think it’s ok for me and others to dislike a certain platform. Facebook and twitter are essentially the same thing but the way they are used is very very different and for that reason I have chosen to stop using the one I don’t like.

Of course that is okay, everyone can choose the platform he likes. I just questioned the reasons why you dislike a certain platform. What is it that you like about twitter more than about facebook?

Facebook offers a lot to annoy and enjoy, just as twitter. If I read every feed I would get pissed of twitter really fast, just like with facebook. But both platforms lets us decide who we want to follow, what we want to see etc.

Furthermore, I see the potential for a nonsense-use is much higher on twitter than on facebook, as it is made to just give your 2 cents on everything in 100 chars or less. The possibilities on twitter do not go beyond that, on facebook they do. Conversations on twitter are hard to read and to follow imo, there is no real chat etc. All things I prefer at facebook.

I am not active on twitter as I don’t like the restrictions it has (although I see that these are the things that may make it so special to some). If I want to post something or share with others, I don’t want to be restricted in the amount of characters I may use, or I want to be able to share a video with something more serious than a shortened-link, or even better, with an embedded player like on facebook.

3747 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
pezflash says

(...) Facebook and twitter are essentially the same thing but the way they are used is very very different and for that reason I have chosen to stop using the one I don’t like.

From Twitter (on several accounts, i don’t know who was the original author):

I prefer Twitter to facebook, talking to people you don’t know and will never meet, rather than people you have met and wished you hadn’t.

404 posts Motion Graphics and Scrambled Eggs
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
smudgethis says

The answer to your ‘why is Facebook better or worse’ question is, to be honest… I don’t know.

This whole process of leaving Facebook, be it on temporary basis or permanently, is purely an experiment to see if I can live without it. I don’t know if twitter is better or just the same in another guise. @Creative you may very well be right, perhaps I’m the kind of person who needs it in my life, craves the attention of others and feeds off seeing the like counter on my opinion rise and rise. I would like to think that isn’t the case but I’m not naive enough to think that I may be wrong.

I’m not knocking it, and I’m definitely not knocking those who use it. That wasn’t the purpose of my original post. I was just keen to hear other people’s opinions and experiences.

As for my comment on the family of ‘facebookers’ on the train. I do believe that was a fair observation of what is in my opinion the worst social side effect of Facebook (and any social media). It isn’t the fact that people want to have their voice heard by the world, who doesn’t, it’s the fact that in that instance, the individuals sat around the table would rather communicate with a virtual device than their loved ones.

Maybe cutting off Facebook entirely from my life isn’t the perfect solution but I am curious to know if it’s possible and as mentioned before, I won’t know if I don’t try.

1075 posts
  • Forum Superstar
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
Smartik says

I’ve deactivated my facebook account a few minutes ago. Bye bye Facebook. :evil:

• Elite Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Germany
+2 more
Creattive says

Maybe cutting off Facebook entirely from my life isn’t the perfect solution but I am curious to know if it’s possible and as mentioned before, I won’t know if I don’t try.

fair enough answer :)

I did leave facebook once, when I was still in school. Then, at university, I had to join it again, as everything was handled over facebook. Meetings with other students, learn groups, even some papers we needed for our studies were only available via facebook.

As I started my freelance career, I deleted my university account (with an anonymous name) and created my official page with my real name to show some of my works. I mainly use it for showing works I have done, and sometimes chat with a client. I do chat with old friends, too, though, so there is a private use.

1 post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
TasteTheEcstasy says

Nope. Social Media Marketing is one of my area’s of expertise. I have to stay up to date on new algorithm changes, trends, hashtags, etc. Facebook is the leading platform right now, and that would blindside me.

However, I don’t post much on my accounts.

262 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Netherlands
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+1 more
ceasar says
by