415 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
osigrandi says

I’m writing this as a friendly reminder for anyone that might be tempted to embed a pretty, but NOT free font with Cufon in their templates.

Fonts like MyriadPro, Helvetica Neue, Lubalin Demi, MayberryPro and so on are not free fonts, therefore you are doing something illegal by converting them for use with Cufon and redistributing them for sale with your templates.

You might, I repeat, might, be in the clear if you use them in this format for your own website even if the license does not allow embedding (if the companies you infringe upon think they might not be able to get enough money back from you to make it worthwhile), but redistributing them is very much illegal.

Additionally, even free fonts such as Graublau Web may have clauses in their license that forbid you from redistributing them yourself, in any format, including as javascript files for Cufon use.

Also, some free fonts only remain free so long you use them for personal purposes, such as logos, posters etc designed for your own use. Once you use them for commercial purposes such as producing templates for sale, you are effectively breaching the licensing agreement. Such a font is the free MayberryPro font offered by the Ascender Corporation.

Remember to always read the EULA guarding the font.

If you consider yourself a respectable designer, please try to respect other people’s work as well and do NOT use or redistribute fonts you don’t have permission to do so.

Using a font in an illegal way just because you think it’s very pretty and will entice buyers to purchase will do you more harm than good in the long run.

You might get away with it OR you might one day see yourself getting sued for a hefty sum by the same companies you infringed upon.

Is it really worth the risk? Not to mention you are exposing ThemeForest as well, not only yourself.

415 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
osigrandi says

Also, there may be sites periodically updating/publishing lists of free fonts, such as Smashing Magazine.

You must not immediately assume that if the font is ‘free’, this give you permission to do absolutely anything you want with it.

It’s your due-diligence duty to make sure that the particular ‘free’ font you want to embed and redistribute actually permits this.

Even the popular Museo by Jos Buivenga, so often embedded in and used on templates here, does not seem to permit redistribution in this format if you read the license carefully from MyFonts.com

If you’re a fan of FontSquirrel.com for instance, if they do not host the font themselves but provide an offsite download link, this is a very good indication that the font you’re about to download does NOT permit redistribution. Therefore, you should not use it for Cufon font replacement in your templates, unless you do not actually redistribute it, but provide instructions for buyers how to download and convert their own copies.

158 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
furto says

Thanks this is just what I was looking for. Its a shame I really wanted to use Myriad in my new theme :(

17 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
twincircuits says

@furto Then just use element { font-family: “Myriad Pro”, “Myriad Web”, Myriad, Frutiger, Calibri, sans-serif; }

If the user has it, it’ll show up nicely; if not, it’ll just gracefully degrade. In a perfect world, we could just use fonts on the web like we do for print :)

158 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
furto says

You sir, are awesome. Thanks for that!

741 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Poland
Orbital_Themes says

I have asked myfonts.com about Museo font and they told me, that embeding it into Cufon is not allowed, but you can still use it with sIFR/in Flash applications.

So if you are really not sure, even after reading EULA , it’s good to just ask :)

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says

Good post – this is a decidedly gray area at the moment – most new technologies for font embedding are essentially allowing you to copy a font and distribute it for web use, which isn’t necessarily legal as you suggest. GPL fonts are okay with this – most fonts aren’t GPL though. Your best bet is to check with the font-creator before distributing anything that might be within this legal gray area.

415 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
osigrandi says
I have asked myfonts.com about Museo font and they told me, that embeding it into Cufon is not allowed, but you can still use it with sIFR/in Flash applications. So if you are really not sure, even after reading EULA , it’s good to just ask :)

Cufon embedding is allowed (for personal, no-resale use), or at least used to be, Jos Buivenga specifically approved of it…it’s on his blog.

However, re-selling themes with Cufon embedded fonts of his is most likely not allowed. ( as Myfonts.com probably wanted to say)

3 posts
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
defactosoftware says

This is nothing to do with themes, but many fonts (Museo included, if I remember correclty) can be embedded using Cufon IF the Cufon security feature is used (where you lock the Cufon font to only work with your domain) thus not allowing anyone to even get the font in a Cufon format, let alone the actual .otf format.

1 post
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
treasureireland says

Hi,

Im a little confused. So I bought a font from (Examiner) myfonts, and it recommends I use their myfonts web kit builder). The site where I want to use the font is commercial, does this mean I cannot use Cufon?

If so is their web kit builder as good? Any faults?

Thanks in advance.

by
by
by
by
by
by