61 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
iSMPro says

This is a very good document on mastering (by the same guys who make Ozone).

http://downloads.izotope.com/guides/iZotopeMasteringGuide_MasteringWithOzone.pdf
90 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
pietrogirardi says

This is a very good document on mastering (by the same guys who make Ozone). http://downloads.izotope.com/guides/iZotopeMasteringGuide_MasteringWithOzone.pdf
Very good indeed, thanks for the link!
2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Located in Argentina
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
sebaokif says

Hey!! how you doing? I think that one of the essential keys in mixing and mastering is the hardware we use to listen our tracks. It will be great if we use monitors speakers, because that’s what we really need to listen. But I think is necessary to have some different listened at last, from several kinds of speakers like headphones, a stereo component, etc.. That could give us more clues for what we need to correct or adjust. This is my ¨modus operandi¨ for the final details before sending my song. What do you think?

90 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
+2 more
Bright_Ideas says

This isn’t necessarily mastering related but I think it’s good advice. Rather than just listening to your finished mix on different sound systems (which you should do) try also listening on the same sound system in a different environment. People underestimate how much your environment and surrounding effect what you hear. The reason is because when you listen to music in an environment you’re accustomed to you have less distraction and can focus on fine detail more. This is good for detail but bad for the big picture in a way because it’s not generally how other people hear your music. Listening to your mix in a public place will get you closer to hearing how a non-musician hears it because you have outside distraction which alters your sensory perception.

In terms of mastering, I would echo what other people in the thread have said. I find the goal is to get the mix sounding as good as possible with headroom left, at which point mastering is really just about getting the rms up as much as possible without altering the dynamics of the mix. In other forms of music I think more goes on at the mastering stage because the track is passing through different people, and the mastering engineer might have better monitoring equipment (and perhaps ears) and be trying to correct problems in the mix. If the mix has no problems, the mastering engineer is usually trying to preserve the mix as faithfully as possible.

Referencing is also good, but for me I don’t use referencing to try to match sounds directly to another track, it’s just to quickly make sure nothing is drastically out of whack. I’m usually checking for spatial comparisons like width and depth or reverb. This should only take a couple of seconds to do with a quick A/B. Getting into trying to reproduce exact tonal qualities of instruments is a headache and huge waste of time imho.

1479 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
Mihai_Sorohan says
Probably the bestest mastering tutorial, touching “the loudness war” and other subjects (equipment, waves…etc):
http://youtu.be/zb6iMMuG4fE
407 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
illuminations says

Probably the bestest mastering tutorial, touching “the loudness war” and other subjects (equipment, waves…etc):
http://youtu.be/zb6iMMuG4fE

wow I just learned everything I’ve ever wanted to know…thanks for the link Mihai!...lol

by
by
by
by
by
by