200 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+4 more
themeva says
This is a very interesting topic. As a buyer sometimes i get bored of looking at all these templates. It’s always the same thing, as stated in this thread:

I big slider on top, 2 or 3 columns, blog, portfolio and so on.

I’m not a designer but as a buyer i can tell you if you are design something targeting as much buyers as possible, this “something” must be highly customizable.

I good designer will grab a template and make it look like anything but a non designer (like me – a programmer) will expect something as close as possible of my project.

So, i believe every template should have what designers are already adding but also include:

A- At least 2 different slider layouts B- Twitter and Facebook widgets (even if it’s just a placeholder) C- Featured Articles, Featured videos and things like that, look at this template:

http://themeforest.net/item/colossus-magazineportfolio-xhtml-template/103936

I know the above template is more of a magazine style but sometimes I’m not looking for a magazine template but the project will have a featured videos widget. So, if i get a nice an clean template as the one bellow I will have to hire somebody to customize it, to add something that could be there already:

http://themeforest.net/item/infocus-powerful-professional-html-css-theme/91284

So, my point is:

Make it as customizable as possible so we can buy them and play around, move things, hide things and use it not matter if it’s for a church, a school or a restaurant. If everything we need is right there we will spend less time looking for it and customizing it. We will work on more projects and buy more.

Last week I spent a day and half looking for a template and at the end, I had to hire a designer to customize one.

I think a lot of authors are doing this already, including myself but the problem at the moment i trying to get that across to buyers that it’s not just a big slider, 3 column, portfolio theme – it can be practically any layout you want.

Do you have any suggestions as to what areas can be improved when looking at the item for purchase. What do you look at when viewing an item, do you look at just the demo pages, if so do you go through all the pages? Do you read the items description and features? This I think would help a lot of authors demo their product better.

:)

204 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
r0nka says

I noticed that that most of the featured themes are not that unique too ..

54 posts
hothoundz says

Agree with what is being said here.

I desperately need a Wordpress theme that doesn’t look like Wordpress!

Last time I adapted an HTML theme and did the coding myself. There are some really original, clever, clean and great to look at templates…but more are needed. Knowing everyone needs to make money from their sales makes it more difficult to break the mould. I appreciate that.

Here’s hoping….

688 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
_rg_ says
Agree with what is being said here.

I desperately need a Wordpress theme that doesn’t look like Wordpress!

Last time I adapted an HTML theme and did the coding myself. There are some really original, clever, clean and great to look at templates…but more are needed. Knowing everyone needs to make money from their sales makes it more difficult to break the mould. I appreciate that.

Here’s hoping….

What you mean with doesn´t like wordpress?

Nothing wrong, just i want to know your point of view and what makes a theme to look like WP in your opinion.

:)

32 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
CodeMaster2008 says
I think a lot of authors are doing this already, including myself but the problem at the moment i trying to get that across to buyers that it’s not just a big slider, 3 column, portfolio theme – it can be practically any layout you want [...]

Well, in fact I did notice a lot of templates out there where authors are making it possible to have multiple rows with a different number of columns per row in the same page, among a few other coll things. But the attention to customization is in the inner page, while the home page is the one that is more personalized for each different project we make.

You can say that I can grab the highly customizable content area from a inner page, apply it to the home page and do my thing. But as I said before, for non designers it’s not always that easy.

Do you have any suggestions as to what areas can be improved when looking at the item for purchase. What do you look at when viewing an item, [...] Do you read the items description and features? This I think would help a lot of authors demo their product better. :)

I usually will go to the live preview and browse each page. Also I try to read everything peace of information the author adds. When I feel it’s necessary i read the FAQ and go through the Comments to see what people are saying. If there is any bug or things like that.

Backing to the customization thing, the hardest part is look at the home page and try to visualize my content in there, try to imagine how could I manage to change the design, add or remove rows and columns. Try to figure out what is possible.

So, to be perfect for me a template should have the rich Typography some authors are already adding. The highly customizable inner pages with all kinds of stuff they are already doing (from lines between columns to drop caps). And… they should bring it to the home page.

Bring that multiple columns per row thing to the home page. Make it possible for us to see the possibilities of all the many different home pages we can have.

Try to image all kinds of content people would want in the home page. Things that go way beyond blogging. From a static banner to a featured videos or a weather widget. Even a quote of the day.

These things could be just placeholders to show the buyer a few of the many possibilities.

So, if you create a dark background template with a few images of hot ladies dancing, I will be able to see beyond the night club and radio stuff. Will be clear that by just changing the color and moving a few things around, I can go from a night club to a church with the same template (kind of radical but you get the picture).

Gotta go, I think I talk to much :-)

54 posts
hothoundz says
What you mean with doesn´t like wordpress?

Well, at the moment a typical Wordpress site front page will have a slider at the top, three or so columns beneath it, maybe some other stuff then a footer – often crammed with archives etc.

Wordpress could be used as the back-end to a site where the emphasis is not on Wordpress but on a well designed site with, effectively, a well-styled blog tacked onto it but with the option to use, for example, latest posts on the front page.

I think the point here is that sites can be designed without them looking like typical Wordpress ones and still integrate Wordpress.

438 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
christopherjon says
Well, at the moment a typical Wordpress site front page will have a slider at the top, three or so columns beneath it, maybe some other stuff then a footer – often crammed with archives etc.

You need to take a look at the default twentyten theme and the free themes available from wordpress… those are typical wordpress themes. While TF themes may have a very noticeable style, they are far from typical wordpress.

If you mean the typical TF WP look, have we reached overkill of the giant slider 3 column layout, perhaps, but they are not typical wordpress blog themes by any means.

Wordpress could be used as the back-end to a site where the emphasis is not on Wordpress but on a well designed site with, effectively, a well-styled blog tacked onto it but with the option to use, for example, latest posts on the front page.
What you are asking is exactly what many of the themes here are doing. They have custom and in many cases very flexible index pages.

I get what you are asking as far as using WP as a true CMS but many of the themes here are pushing WP far beyond what it was designed to do.

Also, these are $30-$40 themes. You can’t get a porche for the price of a honda. I honestly think that many of the themes here are under-priced for what they offer especially when some of the other so-called premium theme sites are charging $80+ for far less.

1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Italy
Alley_Cat says

Here’s my two cents worth.

I’m a newcomer to Themeforest and over the past couple of weeks I’ve bought several WP themes for use on my own sites one for a client.

What I look for in a theme is that I can customize it (theme and text colours, logo placement etc..) easily from the admin panel without having to get my hands dirty with the css or php.

While I like having a slider at the top of the page, I ignore any theme that has a huge slider with no means of reducing it’s size (the great majority I’m afraid to say).

I like lots of short codes and cufon fonts, the more the merrier :) and I’m a great fan of custom sidebars.

Also of great importance to me is the responsiveness (is that a word?) of the author to questions and customer requests for features. The comments made by other buyers also play a significant role.

So far only one theme out of the 6 or 7 I have bought has fully met, what I emphasize is my personal criteria,(others will have their own) and with his first ever theme the author has had over 500 sales in less than a month. There is nothing special about the theme design, top slider three columns etc.. It’s just that you can change almost any aspect of it. Maybe that’s what people are looking for?

1435 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says

Good inputs, thanks! Keep them coming :)

83 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Visualspire says

Make adding images via custom options easier. I see that in most of the themes, you have to manually enter the URL for the image. There could be an ‘Upload Image’ button in custom options so that you could just browse to it and and upload. I have a theme by elegant themes that has this option. It’s essential for novice users who don’t know how to work with a URL and stuff.

by
by
by
by
by
by