406 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Belgium
DsignProductions says

Hi there,

I have a quick question about the rights of one regular licence to clear things out.
I modified a template for a client of me a month ago.
And now, he ask me to do some slight changes “but for the same purpose”.
He is convinced that he don’t need to buy another regular licence again.
Now I am confused by him. Am I right if I say:
1 regular licence = 1 single end product (video), no matter if it is for the same purpose?
He need to buy another licence, right?

Don’t drop a link to the licence page please. Just answer this question quick and easy.
Thank you. 8-)

1485 posts AEdorde.com - After Effects Projects
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
dorde says

You are right.
He need to buy one more licence for one more customization.
VH is not selling projects for unlimited uses, but licences: one purchase = one single use licence = right to use project once.
But the question can be little tricky of course :)

339 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
StencilMedia says

It’s a tough one, because on one hand… if I use a template for a client and send him the video, I think everyone would agree, that’s one use. But, if I’ve made one spelling mistake, I fix it the same day, and then render out another version… then I don’t think anyone would argue that there’s no need to buy another license.

On the other hand… if there are no spelling mistakes, the client puts the video up on Youtube, it’s there for a year and he then wants all the text changed…. that a definite case of buying another license.

The problem then is… where’s the line between the two? Tough one.

6 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
anilksareen says

OK I am that client. We bought 2 licences a couple of weeks ago, they were customized, never used as we made them for a website, since then a couple of changes have occurred, so one picture has to be changed. We have not used the end product so it sounds ridiculous to purchase 2 new licences for the same thing. A licence is issued for an end product, we don’t actually have an end product until it is suitable for uploading. We have not uploaded it to the website as it is not suitable now. So in this case we do not have 4 end products, if this was the case and we were going to use 4 end products I can understand in purchasing 2 further licences. As this is not the case it sounds a little naive and a money grab to think otherwise. We have to pay for the change which is reasonable but to think we have to buy the licences again is an issue that is hard to understand, in all aspects of licensing. Please check the facts, I know this is possibly a grey area but common sense needs to prevail in this instance. It cannot be justified by any stretch of the imagination. We have been good customers up until now, so I don’t see why we should be penalized in this manner. Legally we have 2 licenses for 2 end products, an end product is something that you can use for the purpose it was intended. I hope this clarifies our position…..any comments are welcome.

DsignProductions
DsignProductions Recent Posts
Threads Started
406 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Belgium
DsignProductions says

Hi anilksareen,
I requested a staff reply.

I’m not gonna risk my name nor my account. This is the way things stand today. If things change tomorrow, then it will be another issue.
But for now, I can’t take the job.

DsignProductions

1485 posts AEdorde.com - After Effects Projects
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
dorde says

If client didn’t published video yet (he don’t have end product yet), and if he want minor changes, do it for him. Than it’s not 2nd customization, but changes during the 1st customization process.
So it’s ok with one purchase (if video is not published on youtube etc.).
If you want to charge for changes it’s up to you.
Just my opinion. I didn’t changed my mind, it’s just 2nd option. It’s tricky question as I mentioned in my post above.
I don’t know what staff will say, but I suppose that they will not ask more questions, than: “Whether the client has the final video or not?”
If so, he need one more licence for new end product.
If not, because he need changes in project, than he don’t need to buy licence again.

6 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
anilksareen says

Thank you Dorde, someone finally who understands the situation…. It’s common sense really and the integrity, we have not used the end product on our website, the website isn’t even up until the 15th of April, we’re making a couple of minors changes as a few variables have changed at our end. To be dinged with new license fees is absurd as I’m sure support will agree. I appreciate this does not apply to all cases but it is quite clear in our circumstances. Your response makes sense to me and should be quite obvious to everyone else too. Regards

DsignProductions
Threads Started
406 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Belgium
DsignProductions says

anilksareen already have the two final videos.
Technical he must buy another licence.
We can’t prove he used the videos yes or no.
What I understand from our private contact at least one video was online.
Maybe for a short time, maybe not.
But must a video be online before the licence get expired? I don’t think so.
It is indeed a gray area and I think the final decision will be taken by me.
I understand your situation, but understand mine too.

DsignProductions
Threads Started
406 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Belgium
DsignProductions says

If client didn’t published video yet (he don’t have end product yet), and if he want minor changes, do it for him. Than it’s not 2nd customization, but changes during the 1st customization process.

Yes, of course. I did minor changes during the process before I send him the final video. Now he have the final end products for almost a month. You can’t call that a 2nd customization during the 1st customization process.

404 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United States
GhosTeam says

anilksareen, If you didn’t use the video that whole month – and your word about the matter will have to do…then I don’t think you should pay for another license…

However, since 1 month has passed from first version, be fair & pay him for the customization process, since it’s a 2nd customization. Just my opinion :)

by
by
by
by
by
by