• Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+10 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

... we simply tell them to buy an Extended License

that’s generally our response for multi-use too.

366 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+4 more
RightHere says

“Houston we have a problem”.....

It seams like more and more authors simply allow customers to install WordPress plugins they purchased on Codecanyon on multiple sites as long as they purchase an Extended License.

Then I saw a note the other day that if we do that we are breaking the license rules of the marketplace and could jeopardize our status as authors. Of course no one is interested in that!

However I’m starting getting really frustrated of not having the following options when it comes to licensing.
  1. The Option to opt-in or out of the Extended License and Regular License per Item.
  2. Offer discounts on multiple licenses or
  3. Offer a Developer License that allow the customer to install the Plugin on multiple websites

This is comments that I got from customers just today about licensing. We are loosing out on sales weekly due to the confusing licensing and lack of flexibility (sorry for the all bold text in screenshots, but that is how Codecanyon look in all browsers for me)

Customer asking about licensing: http://cloud.righthere.com/1X2h0l1a1Q2M2x3A2B22

Our answer: http://cloud.righthere.com/001Y3N1J1I463J1q0e3y

Follow up from the customer and our reply: http://cloud.righthere.com/1O442E2L1T0A381L3x06

Extended vs. Regular License: http://cloud.righthere.com/3W3v0D1V3M1N25471r2g

Any comments on this ?

2 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
CompuSocial says

Hi guy, so if I understand well, the Regular License is only for personal us in one site, for example: If I buy a template and I use it for example to a php user management after that I can’t sell that user management because the template is regular license right? or is possible to sell it because Im selling a new php module but with a theme with Regular License? thanks :)

1025 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
fillerspace says

Hi guy, so if I understand well, the Regular License is only for personal us in one site, for example: If I buy a template and I use it for example to a php user management after that I can’t sell that user management because the template is regular license right? or is possible to sell it because Im selling a new php module but with a theme with Regular License? thanks :)

If you buy a template with a regular license, you can use it on a single domain. So you could use it on a site like http://www.whitehouse.gov/.

If you buy an admin template with an extended license, you could use it to build the user portions of something like Facebook, since it is a single site in a “walled garden” scenario (multiple users can access it, but only you can access the code).

Here’s where it gets tricky. A CodeCanyon plugin with an extended license could be incorporated into a theme that you then resell to all of your clients, but a ThemeForest theme could not be unless you get permission from the author, and you sell it only on ThemeForest, or if you incorporate it into a product and sell the product without the source (not sure how you do this for HTML or WordPress, unless they mean don’t include the documentation and PSD ’s?). I take this to mean that I could buy an extended license for a WordPress theme and create niche AdSense sites for sale.

2 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
CompuSocial says

If you buy a template with a regular license, you can use it on a single domain. So you could use it on a site like http://www.whitehouse.gov/.

If you buy an admin template with an extended license, you could use it to build the user portions of something like Facebook, since it is a single site in a “walled garden” scenario (multiple users can access it, but only you can access the code).

Here’s where it gets tricky. A CodeCanyon plugin with an extended license could be incorporated into a theme that you then resell to all of your clients, but a ThemeForest theme could not be unless you get permission from the author, and you sell it only on ThemeForest, or if you incorporate it into a product and sell the product without the source (not sure how you do this for HTML or WordPress, unless they mean don’t include the documentation and PSD ’s?). I take this to mean that I could buy an extended license for a WordPress theme and create niche AdSense sites for sale.

Thanks you @fillerspace , well to make it more clear, basically I Purchased a Admin Template in Themeforest, and Im making a User Management in PHP , so I need I design for it, so I would like to sell my User Management in Codecanyon, but I want to Use the Admin Template I purchased with Regular License, I will not include the psd or other files, I only will use the theme look for the user management, its Possible? :)

629 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
Thecodingdude says

Thanks you @fillerspace , well to make it more clear, basically I Purchased a Admin Template in Themeforest, and Im making a User Management in PHP , so I need I design for it, so I would like to sell my User Management in Codecanyon, but I want to Use the Admin Template I purchased with Regular License, I will not include the psd or other files, I only will use the theme look for the user management, its Possible? :)

You’ll need the extended license for this I believe.

1025 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
fillerspace says

Yes you would need the extended license for that, since it involves resale.

1435 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
webdesignerart says

I also have issue, Recently I have purchase theme for my client and cusotimize it according to his requirement. So now he asking me licenese have to his name, On that time i havn’t answer to give him because all works is belong to him and the purchase theme license have my AUTHOR name so how can give gurantee that this liecense is solely for yours and i am not using theme in futur with this license file.

CAN ANYONE GUIDE ME FOR THIS .

897 posts Community Officer
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Community Ambassador
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
+4 more
Carmen Staff says

Hi webdesignart,

Check out the support article about License uses for more information on this issue. I hope this helps. Carmen

by
by
by
by
by
by