536 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in Australia
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
justinfrench Envato team says

Honestly I dont think Envato cares, look how many request theme authors get with “stylesheet missing” threads, comments and emails to the authors they number in the hundreds a week, yet all it would take is adding a simple notice above the download area/confirmation email/user profile or a notice after purchase

Of course we care, there’s just a lot of things to care about. It doesn’t just cause frustration for authors and buyers, it causes frustration for Envato dealing with support tickets on the same topic.

I’ve been wanting to tackle this for a while, but have been told that the way things are structured makes it difficult. Seeing this thread has nudged me to try a different angle. I’ve had a chat with Pete, and we might have a solution which would allow us to have a second download link with only the installable zip.

Looking into it, but no promises on timing just yet :)

3468 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

Can we please make this option of automatically including the license folder optional? I’m perfectly happy to manually include the license file. This automatic inclusion is going to create a huge amount of unnecessary trouble for both authors and customers.

We could make it optional, but I’d rather automate it in a way that matches how and where you would place it manually, since we’ve clearly missed something. Can you go into a bit more detail about how the current automated placement fails, and where you’d prefer the files to be automatically placed instead?

I assume this is specific to WordPress plugins (rather than themes), but please let me know if this is not the case.

Thanks for looking into this, Justin!

Let me preface this by saying that I have not actually experienced this yet with my own plugins – I’m basing this off of of QuanticaLabs’ initial report, as well as cmoreira’s report (so they may have better insight – I’ve personally avoided updating till the issue is resolved to avoid any problems). Here’s how things have worked in the past:

1. Plugin author submits plugin.zip, which is simply a zipped version of the plugin folder. The contents probably look like this:

/plugin
-- /plugin.php
-- /includes
-- /documentation

(alternatively, an uninstallable package that would require to the customer to unzip the download package and install an plugin zip contained inside would have this structure:

/plugin-package
-- /plugin.zip (contains the structure of first example, minus /documentation)
-- /documentation

The difference is that the first .zip is a plugin archive that is installable directly to WordPress; the second is a package that needs to be manually extracted by the customer to install the plugin archive contained inside it.

2. CodeCanyon renames the zip file to codecanyon-111111-plugin-name.zip

3. Customer downloads plugin. They can (a) unzip to the original plugin folder name and upload that folder to wp-content/plugins, or (b) install this entire archived .zip package directly, because the zip contains plugin.php in the top level of the archive (this is the heart of the matter, and what the new directory is breaking)

Now, the /license directory is also added. Again, I haven’t seen the exact structure myself, but I suspect the resulting archive structure is either:

Scenario A

/plugin
-- /plugin.php
-- /includes
-- /documentation
/license (same level as /plugin, rather than a subdirectory)

which I think becomes uninstallable via the WordPress admin panel because the zip can only have one archived top level directory (that’s conjecture on my part, but I assume that’d be an issue as WordPress isn’t expecting two directories in a plugin zip). I suspect this is what would occur if the command to “add /license to plugin.zip archive” were run

or

Scenario B

/plugin.zip (within the codecanyon-1111-plugin-name.zip archive)
/license

In this case the download package is not installable because the actual plugin zip is nested. I suspect this structure would be the result of running the command to create a new archive containing the contents plugin.zip and /license.

My apologies if these assumptions are inaccurate, but I don’t have any way of testing this without submitting an update.

The structure that we would need to have in order to allow the download package to be installable as a plugin AND add the licensing automatically would be

/plugin
-- /plugin.php
-- /includes
-- /documentation
-- /license (as a subdirectory of /plugin)

Essentially, we need the /license directory added as a subdirectory of the top level directory in the archive (in this case /plugin), rather than as a top level directory itself. (I hope that explanation makes sense, as I may not be using 100% accurate terminology here).

Not knowing exactly what the process is on the back end to add the license folder, I won’t speculate on the best way to accomplish that.

I hope that’s helpful! And again, my apologies if any of this is off-base.

Thanks again for looking into it! :)

Best,

Chris

5492 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Australia says

^5 for a briliant explanation. Even I understood that

3468 posts
+10 more

^5 for a briliant explanation. Even I understood that

I’m relieved to hear it came through clearly! :)

329 posts Keeping Things Simple
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+8 more
cmoreira says

@sevenspark good overview! What’s happening is Scenario A. A directory is being added inside the zip we upload. I was using the first file structure you described, so this makes the main zip incompatible with WP install, as you described.

Now I’ve been using the Second file structure you described, to make it a bit easier for users, now that the license folder is added.

This user might be having problems because of this. (speculating, I don’t know the reason of course).

Anyway, the file should be processed something like:

if (main.zip includes only 1 folder) { include license folder inside that existing folder; } else { include license folder inside zip (top directory); }

Something like this, correct?

3343 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

I actually just shot an email to Justin as well(with screenshots)
I never got this :/

I resent it ;-)

536 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in Australia
+1 more
justinfrench Envato team says

Thanks everyone, here’s what we do on our side:

We unzip the mainfile you upload, add in a new top-level directory “licensing”, add the files into that directory, zip everything back up. There must be something odd about how some zipping programs work (or how we’re unzipping server-side) because what we’re doing seems to make sense to me on my Mac.

We’ll have a fix out for this ASAP.

109 posts quanticalabs.com
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
QuanticaLabs says

@sevenspark has described the issue very well. The same is for themes as well, not only for plugins. In fact I’ve noticed that after updating one of my themes. I’ve just replied to your email @KingDog. Fell free to contact me again, I’ll be glad to help on this.

4 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
dpeca83 says

And what is the conclusion at the end?

How we can avoid adding licensing/ folder as top level folder?

Is there any way to force adding it as subfolder in plugin/ folder?

We have a lot of support tickets about installing issue since last update :(

3468 posts
+10 more

Hey guys, any update here?

I’m in kind of a tight place because I need to release an update, but I don’t want to cause issues for my customers (with over 15,000 using this plugin, even if only 10% are upgrading then that creates a lot of headaches). Do we have an ETA on when this will be resolved? Or can it be temporarily disabled until it is resolved? Or can I request that the license in my file is moved manually by the reviewer when I upload?

Thanks guys! :)

Chris

by
by
by
by
by
by