No official response from the staff? :(

895 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+10 more
Koolgfx says

Am I wrong, or was there an increase in the prices of styles?

But the old ps styles does not seem to have increased in price …

Or are the reviewers that are simply mad? :P:)

226 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
nickys says

Interesting issue, I posted a question a week ago about frameworks, I’ll post a link below. In my opinion, frameworks are as close to a tool as brushes in photoshop are, so if brushes don’t require extended license, frameworks shouldn’t require as well. At least that’s how I see it.

Here’s my topic with an answer from a mod: http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/question-about-regularextended-license/58568

EDIT : I’m referring to code frameworks

31 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
beiker says

I agree, both of them are related. However, there should be a reason behind this since every company looks at product change seriously.

I’m happy with everything so far and I think it’s reasonable.

2075 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+7 more
LanceSnider says

Hey guys,

Sorry for such a late reply. Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I’ve just asked the lawyer to clarify one thing for me, then I’ll get back to you guys with answers. :)

2075 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
+7 more
LanceSnider says

Hey guys. I got with our lawyer and doubled checked with some of the concerns you have. I’ll try to answer each concern individually. Please let me know if I missed one or misunderstood the issue. Keep in mind, this applies ONLY to the tools specified here in the regular license.

1. Why did we remove options for the buyer?

We actually didn’t change the regular license at all. Buyers have always been allowed to use brushes, actions, and fonts on commercial projects, like flyers, games, and magazines. They’ve also always been allowed to use them on multiple projects. It just doesn’t make sense for a designer to buy a font every time they use it in a design or a photographer to buy an action for every photo he touches up. If we did, our licenses would be far too restrictive and authors would lose out on sales.

The extended license didn’t actually give any added value to the buyer. Everything that was included in the extended was already granted by the regular. Having them both just didn’t make sense.

2. Does the regular license allow single use or single installation?

It allows a single installation, which can be used an unlimited number of times.

3. What about buyers distributing my work?

Regardless of which license they had, buyers have never been allowed to redistribute your tools. Your fonts, brushes, and actions should only be used on a single buyer’s computer. On the other hand, buyers are allowed to distribute the end product created with a tool.

For example, I own Helvetica and that gives me the right to use Helvetica in any number of designs. That said, I’m never allowed to distribute the font itself along with the design. That’s also true with a brush. I could paint a landscape and sell that, but I could never give the buyer the brush itself.

4. What if someone uses my font or text style in a template?

Let’s use this text style as an example. Let’s also say that another author wants to use its text in a flyer template. This is fine, but the flyer author cannot distribute the style itself. Instead, just like we do with fonts, the flyer author would have to link the buyer to where they could purchase the text style.

This is great for the style author because any sale of the flyer should also result in the sale of the text style as well.

5. Why don’t we have a commercial and personal option?

Though we do have many buyers who use our items for school work and personal projects, the vast majority of them intend to use your tools for business, whether it be on a website, game, flyer or whatever else. To ensure that authors make as many sales as possible, we need to cater to the main buyer base.

6. Can we increase the pricing?

We’ve noted your feedback when it comes to pricing. We periodically look at and adjust pricing across all the marketplaces. It’s been a long time since anyone has looked at add on pricing so we’ll give this one another look.

I hope that answers your questions. Please let me know if anything need further clarification.

Thanks, Lance

243 posts
  • Located in United States
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
deiby says

4. What if someone uses my font or text style in a template?

Let’s use this text style as an example. Let’s also say that another author wants to use its text in a flyer template. This is fine, but the flyer author cannot distribute the style itself. Instead, just like we do with fonts, the flyer author would have to link the buyer to where they could purchase the text style.

This is great for the style author because any sale of the flyer should also result in the sale of the text style as well.

#4 is unclear to me.

Regarding patterns/styles. Do you simply mean a) the Photoshop .ASL (styles) and .PAT (pattern) files themselves can’t be redistributed, or that they must be b) rasterized or c) removed completely from the template download?

I ask because both patterns and styles are things that can and are typically transferred inside a PSD file in a way that allows access to them.

I see problems or complications with any of the options. Maybe I’m missing something?

1047 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
+6 more
survivor says

1. Why did we remove options for the buyer?

We actually didn’t change the regular license at all. Buyers have always been allowed to use brushes, actions, and fonts on commercial projects, like flyers, games, and magazines. They’ve also always been allowed to use them on multiple projects. It just doesn’t make sense for a designer to buy a font every time they use it in a design or a photographer to buy an action for every photo he touches up. If we did, our licenses would be far too restrictive and authors would lose out on sales.

I always thought that the low price on add-ons is a great Envato strategy just because the buyer can use it once in his project so he/she doesnt need to pay 50$ or more for a tool which he/she needs in one project.

I’m not a font designer, but I know many sites selling fonts and the price starts somewhere on 15$ up to 100$ and even more. So why sell here? May be that is the reason, why there isn’t much fonts on GR.

In fact I don’t know about any other site where I can sell my styles/actions, but I believe that the price needs to be really much higher as the customer will buy it only once and can use it commercially in unlimited projects.

I tried to search the web to find out for how much are other companies selling their tools and for example actions are sold for 15 – 99$ and styles I found starts on 9$ up to 29$ per pack.

951 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
Giallo says

Thank you Lance (and the Team overall) for taking care of this! :)

You’re perfectly right, if the License has no sense to stay, it must go. I just hope the prices will be set to reduce the huge gap with the Print Templates: to make Photoshop Add-ons requires much more time, the final result must be perfect in many conditions, and so they require a lot of testing, and a lot of knowledge about the software.

They should be definetely priced at least as the half of Print Templates..

61 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+3 more
egotype Envato team says

Nice idea…

by
by
by
by