90 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
comeero says

The other day I got an inquiry for a customization for one of my after effects projects. The guy told me that he plan to use it as an opener for a couple of youtube videos.

I gave him a note that if he buys a project here on videohive it is for single use only. So if he plan to use it for different videos he has to buy a new license for every video he uploads on youtube.

He got back to me and wrote:

” I think it will be covered under this: Single free online video or series such as a free tutorial, animation, cartoon or YouTube™ video. So it will be for a single series (a set of lessons). So I think I’ll only need the one licence, and then if we do a different series, we should get another licence.”

This can be found over here: http://support.envato.com/index.php?/Live/Knowledgebase/Article/View/397/70/videohive-license-usage-examples

I wasn’t sure about this and asked support and indeed this is correct. Support wrote:

“If the file is being used in a Youtube series, a single license will be fine. If the want to use it in another series, they will need to purchase another license.”

So in theory he can use one license for over 100 videos. The interesting thing is it seems that this “series exception” just exist for project and motion graphic files. It does not apply for stock footage.

What do you guys think, is this correct/fair? Does it make sense to you?

2378 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+9 more
Creattive says

Well you can say: you sell the license for ONE render. the video can be shown as often as they want.

does make sense to me.

180 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+3 more
Hikari-Pictures says

Ok for example. I want to run amateur cooking channel at youtube and Im interested in your project file for Intro. I will be so passion with my kitchen films and I will release 20 000 episodes about how to cook this and that. In all of those episodes in the very beginning I will have funny music “Tum tum tum tuuuuummmmm” [logo: Cooking with Hikari-Pictures] coz I bought intro from you and I will pay for this 20 000 times ?

5219 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+11 more
felt_tips Moderator says

Yes… it’s the basis on which micro-stock is sold. That’s the royalty free part.

It’s one licence for one customization, basically. If you then choose to stick that customization on the front of 100 different episodes of a series, it’s still one customization.

90 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
comeero says

Okay but I just wondering why this does not apply for stock footage…

If I take Hikari’s example… If I take a video for my intro from the stock footage section – maybe some carrots or whatever – then I have to pay 20000 times. If I take a project from the After Effects section I don’t.

THIS is what does not make sense to me.

by
by
by
by
by
by