248 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Romania
bodorobodo says

@ bodorobodo – both licenses permit including your work into another “work”, the difference between the two is that the extended license intended for projects that are meant to be sold.

The guys that made the commercial sold it to Sony. If Sony bought it directly, they weren’t allowed to give it to someone else to use it. The only scenario possible, which is crazy, is that Sony bought it and made the commercial by themselves.

1935 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Switzerland
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
matsteiner says

@ bodorobodo – both licenses permit including your work into another “work”, the difference between the two is that the extended license intended for projects that are meant to be sold. The guys that made the commercial sold it to Sony. If Sony bought it directly, they weren’t allowed to give it to someone else to use it. The only scenario possible, which is crazy, is that Sony bought it and made the commercial by themselves.

Hey friends I think you know more than the envato staff, and i think you are right. They told me, that a standard license is enough, but it seems like they bought a extended license and that was correct in my opinion (not because i earn more or i think i wouldn’t have been fair payd, but because Sony didn’t made the commercial themselves. Thanks for participating in that discussion, friends!

806 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Art-of-Sound says

The guys that made the commercial sold it to Sony. If Sony bought it directly, they weren’t allowed to give it to someone else to use it. The only scenario possible, which is crazy, is that Sony bought it and made the commercial by themselves.

Come on, man, don’t guess, just read the license terms, it’s all there:

You may use the Work in a work which you are creating for your own purposes or for your client who has asked you to create it.

Projects that are meant to be sold – these include products, like DVDs, software, games etc.

A YouTube video does not require extended license.

248 posts
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
bodorobodo says

If they created a project and they took money for it when they delivered it to Sony, that made it a “sold” project, whatever kind of project it was and whatever media it appeared in. If there were separate definitions for what “sold projects” meant, like DVDs or games I could have understand, though it’s let’s say strange to require extended license for a DVD and not for a commercial.

But. If Envato said it’s ok regular license, who I am to argue.

by
by
by
by
by
by