251 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
bodorobodo says

@ bodorobodo – both licenses permit including your work into another “work”, the difference between the two is that the extended license intended for projects that are meant to be sold.

The guys that made the commercial sold it to Sony. If Sony bought it directly, they weren’t allowed to give it to someone else to use it. The only scenario possible, which is crazy, is that Sony bought it and made the commercial by themselves.

2010 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+8 more
matsteiner Envato team says

@ bodorobodo – both licenses permit including your work into another “work”, the difference between the two is that the extended license intended for projects that are meant to be sold. The guys that made the commercial sold it to Sony. If Sony bought it directly, they weren’t allowed to give it to someone else to use it. The only scenario possible, which is crazy, is that Sony bought it and made the commercial by themselves.

Hey friends I think you know more than the envato staff, and i think you are right. They told me, that a standard license is enough, but it seems like they bought a extended license and that was correct in my opinion (not because i earn more or i think i wouldn’t have been fair payd, but because Sony didn’t made the commercial themselves. Thanks for participating in that discussion, friends!

810 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
Art-of-Sound says

The guys that made the commercial sold it to Sony. If Sony bought it directly, they weren’t allowed to give it to someone else to use it. The only scenario possible, which is crazy, is that Sony bought it and made the commercial by themselves.

Come on, man, don’t guess, just read the license terms, it’s all there:

You may use the Work in a work which you are creating for your own purposes or for your client who has asked you to create it.

Projects that are meant to be sold – these include products, like DVDs, software, games etc.

A YouTube video does not require extended license.

251 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+2 more
bodorobodo says

If they created a project and they took money for it when they delivered it to Sony, that made it a “sold” project, whatever kind of project it was and whatever media it appeared in. If there were separate definitions for what “sold projects” meant, like DVDs or games I could have understand, though it’s let’s say strange to require extended license for a DVD and not for a commercial.

But. If Envato said it’s ok regular license, who I am to argue.

by
by
by
by
by
by