Can another artist license your song…then add his/her vocals and then release it on a CD or sell it in any way?
I have some music that is basically songs with out vocals, so I’m wondering if its legal if someone buys one of my songs, then adds his vocals and then sells it.
- Has been a member for 2-3 years
- Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
- Author has had an Item Featured
- Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
- Exclusive Author
- Bought between 1 and 9 items
- Contributed a Blog Post
- Referred between 50 and 99 users
- United Kingdom
I doubt someone can do this without some sort of agreement between both parties. Its like an artist sampling another artist without permission. A lot of rap songs are old songs with new vocals and you def need permission for that.
I have been contacted for a request like this and have explained that the license is not intended for that. Some of the wording in the contract is confusing in that it states the item may be used as a “music track.” This clearly means “soundtrack.”