• Beta Tester
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
+1 more
greenline says

I know licenses descriptions have been recently updated, I have read everything, but still, I do not understand:

if I buy on codecanyon an extended license of a jQuery plugin (a kind of lightbox plugin) can I integrate it or not in a Wordpress plugin I will sell here on codecanyon (or in a Wordpress theme for sale on themeforest)? Integrate it meaning – not modifying it, only using it as-is.

1466 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Croatia
OriginalEXE says

Only with the permission of the original author.

906 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
greenline says

Only with the permission of the original author.

Thanks for the answer but I have read everything in here: http://codecanyon.net/licenses/faq and it doesn’t say anything about author’s permission. If for an item there is the option to buy an extended license, that’s it, you buy it and that’s all, you do not need the author’s permission.

I only do not understand if an extended license of an item gives me the right to include that item (jquery plugin) in my own wordpress plugin or theme to sell on Envato marketplaces.

1466 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Croatia
OriginalEXE says

As I told you, no it does not anymore. Before the recent licence changes, you could buy extended licence of the plugin and include it in your theme without asking the author, now that is not enough, you must ask author if he is ok with it.

906 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
greenline says

Ok, the last couple of days I saw items license texts changed again.

So I have another question:

If I want to buy an image from graphicriver/photodune and use it in a thumbnail image (the 80px x 80px one) for my codecanyon item, which license do I have to buy? And also, should I ask the author first? That image I buy, it’s not re-selling to customers, it’s for presentation only, on codecanyon.

Honestly, I really think extended license are not correctly understood, for instance I have a customer who bought my plugin and indicated me two distinct websites in which he uses my plugin. Maybe I do not get it right, but to do this, doesn’t he have to buy the extended license? Don’t get me wrong, I’m grateful he bought the plugin, but I am just curious. I’m really trying to understand correctly the licenses, because I respect others work.

906 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
greenline says

I’m thinking that maybe presenting to buyers a short survey after pressing for any item’s “Purchase” button would help.

Something like “You intend to use this item in a) template for sale on envato 2) one client website 3) multiple clients websites 4) flyer etc etc etc

and based on the response, suggest the license you have to buy…this would make things much more easier…

614 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Typps says

Ok, the last couple of days I saw items license texts changed again.

So I have another question:

If I want to buy an image from graphicriver/photodune and use it in a thumbnail image (the 80px x 80px one) for my codecanyon item, which license do I have to buy? And also, should I ask the author first? That image I buy, it’s not re-selling to customers, it’s for presentation only, on codecanyon.

What’s curious is your use case. If your going to be using it in your profile picture, it will certainly represent you as a business (hence service mark). The regular license clearly states this as the last clause :

You can’t use an Item in a logo, trademark, or service mark.

so i’m afraid that may not be possible but if your purchasing from graphic river, i see all the logos have a separate license all together, i.e. a logo license which covers your use case so go for a logo license.

Honestly, I really think extended license are not correctly understood, for instance I have a customer who bought my plugin and indicated me two distinct websites in which he uses my plugin. Maybe I do not get it right, but to do this, doesn’t he have to buy the extended license?

They are not allowed to use it on more than 1 product even with the extended license. In the use case of your client, one1 website constitutes one1 product and they are not allowed to use your item to create another website which becomes a second product all together. What your client will require is a developer license which is not yet available. For now, he’ll just have to buy your item a second time.

906 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
greenline says

I will not use the image as my logo , but as a codecanyon item’s logo (for instance as a wordpress plugin’s logo). But thanks for the info, I’ll go then for a logo license.

And about the extended/developer license: I think buyers do not know that and I doubt I will see very soon buyers buying twice an item from codecanyon / themeforest.

Thank you for such a detailed answer.

906 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
greenline says

Is a codecanyon author allowed to use a theme he buys from themeforest, for his codecanyon item’s preview site?

A lot of codecanyon authors do that, but is it allowed?

614 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Typps says

@greenline: The regular license states :

You are licensed to use the Item to create one single End Product for yourself or for one client (a “single application”), and the End Product can be distributed for Free.

In your case, it’s use of the item to create one single End Product for yourself. Hence should be just fine. What you cannot do is include it ( as in incorporate it) in one of your items that you are selling.

For the simple purpose of using it on your preview website, you are pretty much covered.

by
by
by
by
by
by