4 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Germany
TomSiwik says

Wow… i myself have never noticed this typo on all Envato related platforms. Next to the ‘Purchase’ Button its written ‘Regular Licence’. Shouldn’t it be ‘Regular License’? I’m from germany, so apologies if i’m misunderstanding something. Can someone clarify?

707 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+2 more
ChillThemes says

Yeah it should be License (Verb), not Licence (Noun).

You receive a licence, and purchase a license.

21 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
Gifky says

I think in the case of regular licence noun is the proper one to use so no mistake there, although in American English license is both noun and verb so license would be correct as well.

You can find a bit more here: http://www.grammar-monster.com/easily_confused/licence_license.htm if you are confused ;)

2643 posts Community Team
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
+19 more
contrastblack Envato team says

Yeah it should be License (Verb), not Licence (Noun). You receive a licence, and purchase a license.

pardon me, but “to purchase” would be the verb still, so in both your examples a noun would work :) The two examples you’ve given are just passive / active usage of the same noun (one is the object of an action, the other is being affected by one). Also the verb you’re referring to would be “to license” if my limited knowledge of this foreign language is correct, and it would require “something” – a noun, to follow.

The difference is just between British English vs American English

(more to that here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/License )
707 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+2 more
ChillThemes says

Yeah it should be License (Verb), not Licence (Noun). You receive a licence, and purchase a license.

pardon me, but “to purchase” would be the verb still, so in both your examples a noun would work :) The two examples you’ve given are just passive / active usage of the same noun (one is the object of an action, the other is being affected by one). Also the verb you’re referring to would be “to license” if my limited knowledge of this foreign language is correct, and it would require “something” – a noun, to follow.

The difference is just between British English vs American English (more to that here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/License )

Yeah, I’m aware of the British alternatives, so there is no right or wrong answer. Most of the time I prefer the British English way of spelling common words (and I’m American, lol).

4 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Located in Germany
TomSiwik says

Very nice. I have learned something again. Wasn’t aware the word ‘a license’ is written differently in Britain (with ‘c’). now i know better. Thanks guys

by
by
by
by
by
by