4 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
TomSiwik says

Wow… i myself have never noticed this typo on all Envato related platforms. Next to the ‘Purchase’ Button its written ‘Regular Licence’. Shouldn’t it be ‘Regular License’? I’m from germany, so apologies if i’m misunderstanding something. Can someone clarify?

707 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
ChillThemes says

Yeah it should be License (Verb), not Licence (Noun).

You receive a licence, and purchase a license.

21 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
Gifky says

I think in the case of regular licence noun is the proper one to use so no mistake there, although in American English license is both noun and verb so license would be correct as well.

You can find a bit more here: http://www.grammar-monster.com/easily_confused/licence_license.htm if you are confused ;)

2287 posts Community Team
  • Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
+13 more
contrastblack Staff says

Yeah it should be License (Verb), not Licence (Noun). You receive a licence, and purchase a license.

pardon me, but “to purchase” would be the verb still, so in both your examples a noun would work :) The two examples you’ve given are just passive / active usage of the same noun (one is the object of an action, the other is being affected by one). Also the verb you’re referring to would be “to license” if my limited knowledge of this foreign language is correct, and it would require “something” – a noun, to follow.

The difference is just between British English vs American English

(more to that here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/License )
707 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
ChillThemes says

Yeah it should be License (Verb), not Licence (Noun). You receive a licence, and purchase a license.

pardon me, but “to purchase” would be the verb still, so in both your examples a noun would work :) The two examples you’ve given are just passive / active usage of the same noun (one is the object of an action, the other is being affected by one). Also the verb you’re referring to would be “to license” if my limited knowledge of this foreign language is correct, and it would require “something” – a noun, to follow.

The difference is just between British English vs American English (more to that here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/License )

Yeah, I’m aware of the British alternatives, so there is no right or wrong answer. Most of the time I prefer the British English way of spelling common words (and I’m American, lol).

4 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
TomSiwik says

Very nice. I have learned something again. Wasn’t aware the word ‘a license’ is written differently in Britain (with ‘c’). now i know better. Thanks guys

by
by
by
by
by
by