736 posts All things are possible, for one who believes.
  • Won a competition
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
TimMcMorris says

I have a request that I would like to make which includes all marketplaces and authors :)
Additional thoughts are very welcome.

I / my publishing company are very active on YouTube (and on some other sites) to combat music that is being used but has not been licensed. Notice the words I am avoiding :)

Anyway, with pre-authorized take down, it is very easy to remove YouTube videos which are believed to be using music unlawfully. While most are obvious, some are not.

In these cases I usually contact the person or company and request their purchase license number.

A few times I have actually received back an authentic license and was glad I did not get their video removed because they had in fact licensed the song.

So – what I would like.

I would like some sort of app (or marketplace tool – maybe built right into our accounts) that we can import a license number from a buyer to validate if it’s authentic or not. Better yet, it would be good if it told us the item itself and if the license was a regular or extended purchase.

This would not only be beneficial for YouTube applications, but in many different places where unauthorized use of files are found.

This request isn’t so much that I am trying to find all unauthorized files, but rather I want to protect those who have purchased a license from an accidental take down because right now I can’t fully verify that a license number is authentic.

Another thing – and maybe now I am just being picky – is that the licenses themselves seem rather, well, aesthetically unprofessional. I would think that a license certificate would be maybe a PDF with the marketplace logo and some nice formatting and etc. etc. ... just something that looks a little more “official” and cannot be tampered with so easily as a text file.

Thanks everyone!

2030 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+9 more
revaxarts says

I’ve built a small tool for myself but feel free to use it:

http://revaxarts-themes.com/verify
3247 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

I’ve built a small tool for myself but feel free to use it: http://revaxarts-themes.com/verify

theres a couple small apps like that also, I believe Jeffery Way has one too(may not be his not positive) I think theres a link ini the wiki

1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+10 more
JamiGibbs says

This is a great resource for authors:

http://wiki.envato.com/selling/tips-selling/essential-resources-for-marketplace-authors/

Tim, you’ll be interested in the ‘Purchase Verification’ section.

342 posts
  • Located in Netherlands
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
RikdeVos says

This is a great resource for authors: http://wiki.envato.com/selling/tips-selling/essential-resources-for-marketplace-authors/ Tim, you’ll be interested in the ‘Purchase Verification’ section.

I tried the Purchase Verifier but it does not seem to work with my username, api key and any of my purchase codes of my purchased items… Am I missing something here? :)

• Won a competition
  • Located in Canada
+8 more
TimMcMorris says

This is a great resource for authors: http://wiki.envato.com/selling/tips-selling/essential-resources-for-marketplace-authors/ Tim, you’ll be interested in the ‘Purchase Verification’ section.

Oh hey, look at that! Thanks Jami :)

I see this is hosted on a different site however. Is our API key sensitive information in any way? I don’t know but was thinking, if it is, what is stopping that from grabbing and storing each person’s code that is entered?

3247 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+1 more
organicbee says

Oh hey, look at that! Thanks Jami :)

I see this is hosted on a different site however. Is our API key sensitive information in any way? I don’t know but was thinking, if it is, what is stopping that from grabbing and storing each person’s code that is entered?

not really that sensitive, the API currently isn’t written where it can do or give that much harmful information out (i.e. most the stuff is semi public anyways) but you can create multiple API keys and delete them at will so you can change the key every week/day for security :-)

2030 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+9 more
revaxarts says

I don’t care about other sales so have no need to store them. As I sad, I did it for myself and didn’t include any “bad script”.

Nevertheless you can generate a new API key each time you like to use a service on a third party website and delete it afterwards

• Won a competition
  • Located in Canada
+8 more
TimMcMorris says

I don’t care about other sales so have no need to store them. As I sad, I did it for myself and didn’t include any “bad script”.

Nevertheless you can generate a new API key each time you like to use a service on a third party website and delete it afterwards

No worries man, I was actually referring to the link Jami posted, I hadn’t even looked at yours yet. I see its the same type of deal though.

I just want to make sure it’s safe which is a fair question, especially as I have relatively little knowledge about these things.

While your intentions are good, it may not be the case for every developer, so I just wanted to check.

Thanks very much.

7604 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

just to point out here, but shouldn’t buyers privacy be respected here? Is not going around youtube asking for Item Purchase Code against the privacy of buyers and against the rules of the marketplace? Because last time I checked, envato protects the identity of buyers, they show you that a certain buyer has bought an item from you only if that buyer chose to do so by sending you a message or writing a comment in the item comment area.

Are the buyers obligated to provide you with Item Purchase Code? Since when? What if they know they are not obligated and they just ignore you, since you have no right to ask for the purchase code?

by
by
by
by
by
by