2030 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+9 more
revaxarts says

Sorry for screaming and maybe you’re already around. It’s been a while since your friend Regular and his big brother Extended License have arrived at the marketplaces.

But where are you, Developer or Item-based License? Many of us have been waiting for your arrival. Only your not so famous cousin GP and T-shirt Extended (who is this?) License are here now.

If you are behind the next corner and hear our voices but to afraid to show up – we don’t bite, we will not abuse or ignore you. We would just like to offer you to our fellow customers.

If you can hear us: WHERE ARE YOU? WHEN DO YOU COME?

3446 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

Haha just wanted to +1 this, I’ve been waiting on developer’s licenses for a long time as well – I’d love to see these implemented, and I know there are a lot of customers wanting them (I get requests every week).

That said, recent staff comments have suggested this is being revisited, so hopefully something is in the works? It’d be great to get an official update! :)

1045 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says

+1 from me as well. My customers are screaming for a developers license. It would certainly open doors to competing with other themes that allow much broader use and avoid a lot of confusion for buyers not realizing they purchased a single use license.

5561 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Canada
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+12 more
KingDog Envato team says

I had to put your post through a de-capitalization procedure. It appears to have survived and is now in the patient area recuperating :)

License changes and additions take time as they have a major impact on our entire Marketplaces. They’re not something we want to rush out. However, I’ll see if we can get an update as to how they’re coming along :)

2030 posts
+9 more
revaxarts says

Thanks King, now they can’t hear me anymore :x

I’m really interested in a developer licenses and an item based solution. Why is it possible with GPL but not with the others?

The main reason I turned off extended license for my items is because it’s to cheap on CC and to expensive on TF

6025 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Developer License or anything equivalent is a most obvious thing ignored here. Understandably, Envato needs to force buyers to just pick 1 Regular License for all their projects so that it will give Envato the competitive power – the back door approach to grow the business. In such case it would be better to grant infinite usage for single license purchase and sleep well.

Regarding the item based license choice for authors: Forget about per item choice. Envato not even allows authors to select different ways for different marketplaces. If an author prefers Extended License for CodeCanyon and not want to do the same for the ThemeForest items, it is not possible. As an alternative, we have settings to change the order of badges. Crazy isn’t it?

To summarize everything, no buyer or authors preferences are taken care but only business based decisions are going on. But we see everywhere the word “community” being emphasized for all the cruel/silly limitations.

I’m really interested in a developer licenses and an item based solution. Why is it possible with GPL but not with the others?
No doubt, GPL thing was promptly handled because of the fear of separation from industry – no spirits. That’s understandable from commercial aspects/ethics but not having the Developer license (or shopping cart) is unethical even from commercial perspective. One should be sincere on atleast one aspect.

Also there was a survey conducted about developer license but survey results never showed to community – only GPL based results were showed which is actually unnecessary.

29 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
bqworks says

+1 for Developer license.

2030 posts
+9 more
revaxarts says

Is Envato not interested in more license options? GPL was implemented in a couple of weeks so from a technical point of view it cannot be that difficult.

Even an marketplace-based license system would be awesome (if that is easier to implement)

6025 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Is Envato not interested in more license options? GPL was implemented in a couple of weeks so from a technical point of view it cannot be that difficult. Even an marketplace-based license system would be awesome (if that is easier to implement)

Sadly license is not something realized as core of our business similar to creation and marketing. It is the strongest part that drives the business but looks like this community is too weak to concentrate on those things.

As usual Envato has one repeating sentence to shut the mouth of anyone requesting improvements on license: “It is risky so we are slow and being careful”

After reading such answers I always wonder one thing: Then why the (hell) marketplaces should expand to cover more than half dozen industries and fragmented categories, if the license are risky to improve/manage? Over commitment and under performance is more than ugly.

Sorry Envato, but you are no longer young but grown a lot to interfere the industries and trends. Please show some respect and improvise the license to fit the business everyone involves here. At least an ETA would add some respect; hope it wont take few more years. Everyone knows adding an essential feature after few crucial years doesn’t going to compensate the loss. Time matters.

2030 posts
+9 more
revaxarts says
by
by
by
by
by